The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

20 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I'm way more excited about Mikheyev than I have any right to be, but that's my eternal off-season optimism! Some of his goal highlights are McDavid-esque, and if he can find that level of play more consistently he's gonna be a great player. I don't think he's peaked yet at all.

I'm fully expecting a 50-60 point season from him, and strong seasons from the other Russians as well as they are all a positive influence on each other.

I really like our forward group right now, if the coaches can find the magic line combos to get everyone producing at a top level, we're gonna score a lot of goals :towel:

60 point season might be stretching it? I can see 45-50 point season this coming season. 

8 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Jack Campbell's exact deal (right down to the dollar, term and team) was leaked the day before free agency and was signed just minutes after the clock struck noon. Now that is red handed tampering if i ever saw it!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Seems like cherry picking stats is all people do around here. "he was our best player" lol wut. He's not as good as some think, he's not as bad as some others think. 

I've watched the Canucks a little to much for my own good.  I've been a huge critic of Brock ever since his back injury. I wanted him traded. He then came back and looked really good at  the start of the bubble in 2020. Had a really good series against Minni. He was playing solid 2 way hockey and skating hard. For the first time in years, I got excited. His play and speed then dropped off against St Louis and Vegas so I was wondering, does his play shut down against bigger teams? Is he still playing scared? I wasn't sure what to expect the following season. He then pleasantly surprised me. 

If you rewatch the entire 2020-21 season, you'll see that Boeser had more spring in his step, he was first to pucks, came back hard defensively. Honestly, just rewatch the games and you'll see what I'm saying. 

He ended the season first in points on the team. The whole team was terrible that year but he was also 2nd in +- after Petey who was an Even while Brock was a minus 3. Miller (2nd in pts that season) was a - 7.

Im sure if you dig deep enough, advanced stats will confirm my eye test. The team was definitely better with Brock on the ice. 

That was only the year before last. It's not like I'm talking so far back in time like his rookie season before his back injury when he was sensational. 

Anyway, Allvin and the brass seems to agree with me. It's too early to give up on Brock. My guess is, those guys know more than some armchair Brock critics here so I'm glad they saw things the way I see it. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Losers he was gone anyways lol.

Like there isn’t tampering every single year. Whole goalie market was tampering. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

60 point season might be stretching it? I can see 45-50 point season this coming season. 

Depending on what line he plays on he could. 20-40 60 pts wouldn’t be that crazy considering if he was playing with 30 goal scorers instead of third liners in Toronto.

if he’s retrieving pucks and dishing them out in our top 6 his assist line is gonna pop.

I agree 45-50 more likely but 60 is still possible if he skates with say Petey. Which I’m envisioning. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Is there a reason the leafs did not keep him that I wasn't aware of? I hope it was something, if he wasn't good enough for TO, he probably won't be good enough here. 

54 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Your honestly coming off very negative and biased towards one of our teams players.

a player who has fought through some really crappy injuries early and still battled through them and scored goals for us. 

a kid who just lost his father and was battling on the ice to entertain us.

a kid who scores almost at a point per game clip and is a baseline 30 goal scorer. 

honestly kinda ridiculous the level of hate you are projecting towards him.

look out this season for a healthy and motivated Brock. We will know right away by the way he skates, how he looks in puck / board battles. A healthy confident Brock will be winning battles especially board battles. Which is an underrated part of his game.

I’m excited you should be too.

Were lucky to have him, Colorado and Tampa would gladly have him on there teams. He is a 1st (23) overall pick. I believe his overall play thus far is acceptable or a bit above. You need to remember 22 other rams passed on him due to his low hockey IQ. There are very few others on this planet that can match that shot he had and will have again. Once we accept he will never be Bergeron and be happy with a similar but a lesser version of Stamkos the quicker we can move on to Bo, or Petty.

1 hour ago, VanCan2023 said:

Were lucky to have him, Colorado and Tampa would gladly have him on there teams. He is a 1st (23) overall pick. I believe his overall play thus far is acceptable or a bit above. You need to remember 22 other rams passed on him due to his low hockey IQ. There are very few others on this planet that can match that shot he had and will have again. Once we accept he will never be Bergeron and be happy with a similar but a lesser version of Stamkos the quicker we can move on to Bo, or Petty.

This is the exact kind of delusion on this board i mean...  he is absolutely nothing like Stamkos in any way.  His shot isnt even nearly in the same league.   He was passed over in the draft because teams saw he had no motor and below average skating.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Your honestly coming off very negative and biased towards one of our teams players.

a player who has fought through some really crappy injuries early and still battled through them and scored goals for us. 

a kid who just lost his father and was battling on the ice to entertain us.

a kid who scores almost at a point per game clip and is a baseline 30 goal scorer. 

honestly kinda ridiculous the level of hate you are projecting towards him.

look out this season for a healthy and motivated Brock. We will know right away by the way he skates, how he looks in puck / board battles. A healthy confident Brock will be winning battles especially board battles. Which is an underrated part of his game.

I’m excited you should be too.

Hes nowhere near a point per game clip.  Nor has he ever scored 30 goals in his 5+ seasons.  I dont think he won even 10 percent of battles last season-  the play was beyond atrocious.   No one isnt saying he's a nice guy.  Every one goes through loss.  Stetcher, Markstrom, Mackewan and many others all did.  Theres no excuse for how brutal and how much of a liability he looked last year.  

18 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes nowhere near a point per game clip.  Nor has he ever scored 30 goals in his 5+ seasons.  I dont think he won even 10 percent of battles last season-  the play was beyond atrocious.   No one isnt saying he's a nice guy.  Every one goes through loss.  Stetcher, Markstrom, Mackewan and many others all did.  Theres no excuse for how brutal and how much of a liability he looked last year.  

Boeser's been on 30 goals per season pace in 3 out of his past 5 seasons. Hes been disappointing the last few years especially with such a rookie high point, but yeah just saying.. He seems like the type of secondary player who will score 30-35 goals if hes under the umbrella of a good team. Hes already 25, we'll see what the next 2 years take us. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Cheers 1

Anyone know if Mikeheyev stayed in north america or did he go back to Russia? Hopefully our Russian players come back early to Vancouver and get some time to hangout together. I know Klimovich stayed in Vancouver for the off season which was great to see. Pretty sure I saw someone saw Podkolzin went back to Russia and unsure if Kuzmenko went back after he came to Vancouver for the in person meeting

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Ok man. keep being negative.

everyone grieves differently. He was incredibly close with his father, and our management said he’s a sensitive person and it hit him very hard. 

the injuries he’s had and come back from have impacted his play up to this point in his career. His goals per game over an 82 game schedule has basically equated to the expectation he’s  a 30 goal scorer. 

his play last season is very explainable. He got hurt in camp, when he came back he was a half step behind everyone. And it set him up for a bad year considering his father on top of it. He didn’t look like himself in anyway. Yes he was losing puck battles, board battles, was behind the play and his shot didn’t look right. All of those were red flags hey somethings going on for him.

He still scored 23.. 

whatever you want to say no excuses blah blah he’s a person. A very young person who has a huge heart and is very talented whether you want to see it or not.

I feel like you were prolly hating on Petey too when he was in his slump before he figured it out last year. 

I hope he has a great year not just because it would be great for our team. But just so we all can poop on you here later.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Oh I know that’s stretching it but I go in to every new season fantasizing that everyone on the team is going to have their best season ever. Keeps me happy over the summer ^_^

• Vintage 1