The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

Just now, DeNiro said:

For a team that has struggled to score over the years I’ll gladly bring on a lineup that’s too “top heavy”.

The Oilers and Leafs are too top heavy too but at least they make the playoffs.

The Oilers and Leafs have legitimate superstars up front that can carry their respective teams into the playoffs on their backs. Our stars simply aren't at that level, which is why we need a more balanced lineup, and our lineup is anything but balanced.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Oilers and Leafs have legitimate superstars up front that can carry their respective teams into the playoffs on their backs. Our stars simply aren't at that level, which is why we need a more balanced lineup, and our lineup is anything but balanced.

We have a player that just put up 100 points and one that’s poised to be a 100 point player in his prime.

We do have those players, and I’d argue better depth and balance to our forward lineup then those teams. Makes it harder to shut down.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tell that to St Louis. Garland plays with the same intensity.

I’ve seen 6’4” guys play with less intensity and physicality them. His size is not keeping him down.

DAD8BC41-DFEF-4F5C-B39C-DEB9A09B96EE.webp

Please don't compare Garland to St Louis. The heart of a lion crap gets old.

It's just physics.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's still more balanced than 2 teams who can't put together 6 NHL quality blueliners between them.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have a player that just put up 100 points and one that’s poised to be a 100 point player in his prime.

We do have those players, and I’d argue better depth and balance to our forward lineup then those teams. Makes it harder to shut down.

The Leafs and Oilers have forwards that perform at a well over PPG average regularly, with Matthews, Drai and McDavid being arguably the three best forwards in the entire league. By contrast, up until Miller exploded this last year (in a season when scoring in general was way up), we haven't had an over PPG player since the Sedins were in their prime. Considering Miller's age, I find it unlikely he repeats his torrid scoring pace for very long, and even if he does next season, it wasn't enough to drag us into the playoffs last season. And it remains to be seen how good Pettersson gets. He's never even been a PPG player so far, so it'd be unrealistic to expect 100 + points any time soon, if ever. 

As far as our top 9 forward depth is concerned, it's a nice luxury, but it also means that there won't be enough ice time to go around, likely meaning that a few of our forwards won't perform up to expectations due to lack of ice time/PP time.

53 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's a buttery soft 4th line, and Hoglander shouldn't be on the 4th. He won't improve getting such limited ice time, and that limited ice time coupled with starting the majority of the time in the Dzone will limit his production, thus lessening any trade value he might have, not to mention it's a waste of an entry level contract that could be contributing in the top 9. It also keeps Joshua and Lockwood out of the lineup, who are better suited to the 4th line than Hogz or Dickinson (We really have to find a way to get rid of him). 

If Miller or Garland are moved to fix the blueline, then all is forgiven, but as of right now the lineup looks way too top heavy imo.

I agree. We are either trading Miller or Garland or we will look to offload Dickinson somewhere and package Höglander for some help on defence. 

I don’t think we open the season with that forward group and Luke Schenn on the top pairing. If we do then JR/PA should be criticized in the same way as Benning was. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. We are either trading Miller or Garland or we will look to offload Dickinson somewhere and package Höglander for some help on defence. 

I don’t think we open the season with that forward group and Luke Schenn on the top pairing. If we do then JR/PA should be criticized in the same way as Benning was. 

I'm skeptical of moving Hoglander right now because we'd be selling low on him,  not to mention he's on an entry level deal. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Leafs and Oilers change their goalies more than I change my underwear. Meanwhile we have a legit Vezina trophy candidate. 

The Leafs and Oilers also both have AHL quality defenders. They are top heavy on the forward group but will get exposed again in the playoffs. Once McDavid and Matthews get tired of losing they will move on to other teams. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Leafs and Oilers change their goalies more than I change my underwear. Meanwhile we have a legit Vezina trophy candidate. 

The Leafs and Oilers also both have AHL quality defenders. They are top heavy on the forward group but will get exposed again in the playoffs. Once McDavid and Matthews get tired of losing they will move on to other teams. 

That's all well and good, but the proof is in the pudding. They make the playoffs, we don't. Their offensive stars are good enough to drag their crap bluelines and shoddy goaltending into the playoffs. Our top stars aren't at that level, which is why we need to have a more balanced lineup in order to find any success.

1 hour ago, Fen1010 said:

Just curious, if Hoglander is sent to Abby, will he report? I wonder if he would feel like it is a slap in face since he has two full season already with the big club. No proof just curious.

I also think Joshua makes the team out of camp if Dickie stumbles

I don’t think he would have a choice unless he doesn’t want to get paid and get suspended for not reporting. 

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's all well and good, but the proof is in the pudding. They make the playoffs, we don't. Their offensive stars are good enough to drag their crap bluelines and shoddy goaltending into the playoffs. Our top stars aren't at that level, which is why we need to have a more balanced lineup in order to find any success.

If Boudreau was the coach last year from the beginning we make the playoffs as well. I think our team currently constructed is better than the Leafs or the Oilers. Hopefully JR/PA can make some deals to push us over the top. 

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Please don't compare Garland to St Louis. The heart of a lion crap gets old.

It's just physics.

No it’s just tenacity and work ethic.

Garland wins more puck battles than Virtanen did. How is that possible if it’s “just physics”?

The you can only win with size crap gets old too. Every cup team has a guy that’s 5’10” or smaller. People need to get over 2011 already and realize this is a much different league.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

JR did clearly say in an interview that Joshua was going to be in the bottom six.

I don’t know if that means they still move on from one of our forwards or we swap between Hoglander and Joshua depending on what is needed for the opposition.

My bet is still on the team dropping a couple of forwards.

Joshua would be the 13th forward but most likely I agree with you and Höglander is the one in the press box. He’s not on Boudreau’s list of favourite players so he may be the odd man out and dealt in a package for help on defence. 

Garland always gives his all and is a battler.He deservers his pay check plus if Miller stays he would help us with a pick or other player get us the rhd this team needs.I would rather keep him but he is valuable in a trade.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Boudreau was the coach last year from the beginning we make the playoffs as well. I think our team currently constructed is better than the Leafs or the Oilers. Hopefully JR/PA can make some deals to push us over the top. 

It's important to keep in mind that we got the "new coach bump" that teams often get when they hire a new coach in the middle of the season. Other teams need a bit if time to adjust to a team under a new coach, hence the 7 game win streak immediately after hiring Bruce before teams finally caught on. I don't think we can count on a similar record under Bruce for a whole season. 

If we're able to turn some of our excess top 9 into an upgrade on the right side, then I'd agree that we're more solidly constructed then a lot of teams, but that needs to happen first.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The Leafs and Oilers have forwards that perform at a well over PPG average regularly, with Matthews, Drai and McDavid being arguably the three best forwards in the entire league. By contrast, up until Miller exploded this last year (in a season when scoring in general was way up), we haven't had an over PPG player since the Sedins were in their prime. Considering Miller's age, I find it unlikely he repeats his torrid scoring pace for very long, and even if he does next season, it wasn't enough to drag us into the playoffs last season. And it remains to be seen how good Pettersson gets. He's never even been a PPG player so far, so it'd be unrealistic to expect 100 + points any time soon, if ever. 

As far as our top 9 forward depth is concerned, it's a nice luxury, but it also means that there won't be enough ice time to go around, likely meaning that a few of our forwards won't perform up to expectations due to lack of ice time/PP time.

Point totals are less important than total goals. Their stars may drag them into the playoffs but it’s their lack of depth as to why they ultimately fail.

Our roster has goal scorers throughout the lineup. Conservatively that roster has around 7 20+ goal scorers and could be as many as 9.

Totals from last season despite a poor start and some down seasons:

Horvat (31)

Miller (32)

Boeser (23)

Pettersson (32)

Garland (19)

Mikayev (21)

Kuzmenko (?)

Pearson (14)

Podkolzin (14)

Thats depth no matter how you slice it. You’d be hard pressed to find a team with 7 20+ goal scorers that didn’t make the playoffs.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, BCNate said:

Klingberg has got progressively worse every year since 2018.  Yes, he puts up points, but half of those come from playing point on PP1, which he won't be here.  He also starts 60% O zone, which he won't here.  He does not hit, does not block shots, and does not PK.  He is a borderline liability in his end, and is right at the top of the league in turnovers.

People talk about OELs deal as though it is an albatross, why would we look to sign another 30YO to a long term 7+ mil deal?  Last year OEL was a better player, and people complain about his deal, so why double down?

Myers is not ideal, but he is far better defensively, plays PK, hits and block  and only has 2 years left on his deal.  He is a better fit for this team now, and with his expiring deal, going forward as well.

By adding Kuzmenko and Mikeyev, we have one of the deepest top forward groups in the league, we should be able to roll 3 legit scoring lines.  We need defensive help, stay at home RD, not an offensive D who doesn't really play D.  To me this is pretty much the same situation as when the Leafs brought in Barrie to fix their D.

Klingberg in 74 games had 47 pts. 77 blocks and 57 hits -28 . Average 22 minutes. 
only Pavelski, Robertson & Hintz had a better +/- than Benn, Seguin & Klingberg. 

Wasn’t a great year in Dallas for anyone really.