The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg waiting on Canucks to make a move

10 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Except there are teams that do. 

So why hasn't he been traded yet?  

Which are the teams that want to give up 6M x 2 in cap space without sending an equal contract back?  

Edited by mll

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Which are the teams that want to give up 6M x 2 in cap space without sending an equal contract back?  

Op said No Teams Want Myers. To which I replied there are.

Most of the league is in a cap crunch atm but it doesnt mean no team wants Myers nor does it mean a deal cant be made. 

6M x 2 is not as bad as you think for a big RHD that can obviously play and eat up alot of minutes. Especially with what all these players are signing for long term.

Edited by HOFsedins
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ice8eight said:

No team wants Myers, the's the problem.

I dunno. I think we tend to be really harsh on Myers. He’s a RHD, big defenseman. Teams must be circling on him, to see if Myers could be had for cheap. I mean, I can’t say for sure obviously whether teams are interested. But RHD’s don’t grow on trees, and they’re the hardest position to probably fill for any team. So I think Myers has value. The question becomes what can we get in return for him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Op said No Teams Want Myers. To which I replied there are.

Most of the league is in a cap crunch atm but it doesnt mean no team wants Myers nor does it mean a deal cant be made. 

6M x 2 is not as bad as you think for a big RHD that can obviously play and eat up alot of minutes. Especially with what all these players are signing for long term.

Yep. I agree that Myers definitely has value around the league. I’m just curious as to what he could get in a possible return. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Maybe because he is a valuable player at a decent hit; not everybody wants to trade Myers.

Every trade could happen if management believes it will improve the team; if not, no deal.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Uhh, if we can't find another minute munching RD somewhere then we kinda need Myers. 

No kidding.   Kind of reminds me when Edler and Tanev were doing it all by themselves and both would getting heavily criticized ... Edler led the league in minus one of those seasons, and of course Tanev struggled to play 50ish games.    Myers got better with a better line mate and support from QHs line.   Our bottom pairing is unfortunate.    Improving one guy on either side will trickle to the rest of the group.    We need Tanev back badly.    Shows that maybe his injuries were mostly based on overplaying him.   CAL fans love him and why wouldn't they?    JB biggest error with that group was Tanev.    Markstrom did the right thing and some.   TT well wingers are easy to get not a huge loss.

Choas Giraffe or not, he's our player and we don't need to disrespect him.   Personally never had an issue with signing him.   If the cap kept going up things would be different, but quite a few teams got saddled with deals they made a year or two before covid.    Cap space is king right now, which would make it hard to trade him, but so are RHDs and first line C's.    Come this TDL, the market for Myers goes up.     Doubt he's going anywhere.   In fact their is room for him still on the bottom pairing once this deal is up ... at a cap hit similar to the one Edler signed last year.    Or possibly to continue playing with OEL after as well.  

QHs needs his Tanev, Manson.   Not Klingberg, not Girard etc.   Myers is mobile for a big guy, and actually is a decent puck mover as well.    And can play both special teams.   Would like it if he didn't have to play the PK though. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No kidding.   Kind of reminds me when Edler and Tanev were doing it all by themselves and both would getting heavily criticized ... Edler led the league in minus one of those seasons, and of course Tanev struggled to play 50ish games.    Myers got better with a better line mate and support from QHs line.   Our bottom pairing is unfortunate.    Improving one guy on either side will trickle to the rest of the group.    We need Tanev back badly.    Shows that maybe his injuries were mostly based on overplaying him.   CAL fans love him and why wouldn't they?    JB biggest error with that group was Tanev.    Markstrom did the right thing and some.   TT well wingers are easy to get not a huge loss.

Choas Giraffe or not, he's our player and we don't need to disrespect him.   Personally never had an issue with signing him.   If the cap kept going up things would be different, but quite a few teams got saddled with deals they made a year or two before covid.    Cap space is king right now, which would make it hard to trade him, but so are RHDs and first line C's.    Come this TDL, the market for Myers goes up.     Doubt he's going anywhere.   In fact their is room for him still on the bottom pairing once this deal is up ... at a cap hit similar to the one Edler signed last year.    Or possibly to continue playing with OEL after as well.  

QHs needs his Tanev, Manson.   Not Klingberg, not Girard etc.   Myers is mobile for a big guy, and actually is a decent puck mover as well.    And can play both special teams.   Would like it if he didn't have to play the PK though. 

Have to add:  he's also a big piece of work and uses his size and strength as well as being ready, willing, and able to throw down and stand up for teammates, etc.

I like Myers a lot; guess that has been plain to see; plus he wants to be here (a big factor with players able to force trades more easily now).

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno. I think we tend to be really harsh on Myers. He’s a RHD, big defenseman. Teams must be circling on him, to see if Myers could be had for cheap. I mean, I can’t say for sure obviously whether teams are interested. But RHD’s don’t grow on trees, and they’re the hardest position to probably fill for any team. So I think Myers has value. The question becomes what can we get in return for him. 

Right now?  Probably a decent project prospect or a 2nd rounder.   Team can sign Klingberg if they really want too,  and i think he overshot what he believes he's worth.    Dallas has no state taxes.   If they offered him say 6.5 x 7, that's 7.4ish here.    Would we be comfortable with a deal like that?    I sure wouldn't be.   Something like 6 x 6 would be ok i suppose.   In this case we'd be in a position to find a place for Myers before the season starts - but wouldn't be bargaining from a good position either.   Believe we'd have to retain.   As of right now, everything we have fits under the cap.    And have some pretty big doubts we will see much action before the season starts.  

Maybe Miller.   That's a big maybe.   And IF Miller is on the opening night roster, very small odds he's getting traded.    Owners wouldn't like to lose the playoff revenue, and the fans will be excited about our chances in the post season.   And JR's/Allvins primary job is to make the owners money.   Best way to do that, is have a team that's in the playoffs all the time.    It's also a good way to win a cup these days.   St. Louis.    And we've seen too many other teams make the finals and the final four lose now, that it's pretty reasonable to say just making the playoffs anything can happen these days.   Gone are the days when seasons were predicable, same with and especially more so - the playoffs. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Have to add:  he's also a big piece of work and uses his size and strength as well as being ready, willing, and able to throw down and stand up for teammates, etc.

I like Myers a lot; guess that has been plain to see; plus he wants to be here (a big factor with players able to force trades more easily now).

Absolutely.   Keith lol.   Enjoy retirement! Sure nice to finally get some retribution.   Tyler Minors ... he was a beast for us in the bubble, if he wasn't injured and didn't miss some games, i think Vegas might have had a different outcome.   Only Myers, Motte and Demko seemed to be capable against them.    Myers was the only guy who could skate the puck out against those big forwards - and made a couple solo rushes trying to tie the game with 7 minutes left in game 7....  Most of his penalties were just because of his height,  hard to keep it perfectly clean AND be super physical.   Taking Myers out of the lineup, and adding Klingberg?   I'm not sure that's a good idea at all.    Even at the same cap hit, other then getting a guy who's only a couple years younger. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RWJC said:

Garland has more heart and tenacity than you're giving him credit for.

It's ok, you can undervalue that. It's just opinion. Hope we get into the playoffs this season to see what's what.

Oh don't get me wrong I agree he has tenacity and a big heart. I just think there are 3 maybe 4 forwards that are tiny and that will eventually be a challenge. Like I said before heart only gets you so far when there's a thug in the corner.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Oh don't get me wrong I agree he has tenacity and a big heart. I just think there are 3 maybe 4 forwards that are tiny and that will eventually be a challenge. Like I said before heart only gets you so far when there's a thug in the corner.

Let's not forget that he draws some of the highest amounts of penalties in the league, likely due to his size and tenacity. 

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's all well and good, but the proof is in the pudding. They make the playoffs, we don't. Their offensive stars are good enough to drag their crap bluelines and shoddy goaltending into the playoffs. Our top stars aren't at that level, which is why we need to have a more balanced lineup in order to find any success.

They also benefit from the western canada swing the most. They usually play road teams' backup goalies on road teams' 3rd game in 4 nights. That's a big key to their regular season success and something that gets exposed every single postseason.

Saw a funny stat that showed they played backup goalies the most at something ridiculous like 25-30 times a year

6 hours ago, teepain said:

Trade myers and sign klingberg.  Gives us a different look 

So whos playing defense? Klingsberg is the worse defenseman defensively last couple years on Dallas.. he’s -28 last season. The next defenseman on the list is -4.. as much as you guys hate on Myers.. we want to trade a guy that’s +15 for a guy that’s -28 on a team that’s decent defensively? Hell ya it’ll give us a different look. Klingsberg is absolutely useless if he’s not put in offensive situation. Are you going to pair him with Hughes? So he gets the offensive opportunity where you have neither guy playing defense? Or are you going to put him with Oel and force him to play defense when all the talk is about getting him a defensive partner that enables him? Seems like you guys don’t actually watch him play at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So whos playing defense? Klingsberg is the worse defenseman defensively last couple years on Dallas.. he’s -28 last season. The next defenseman on the list is -4.. as much as you guys hate on Myers.. we want to trade a guy that’s +15 for a guy that’s -28 on a team that’s decent defensively? Hell ya it’ll give us a different look. Klingsberg is absolutely useless if he’s not put in offensive situation. Are you going to pair him with Hughes? So he gets the offensive opportunity where you have neither guy playing defense? Or are you going to put him with Oel and force him to play defense when all the talk is about getting him a defensive partner that enables him? Seems like you guys don’t actually watch him play at all.

Yep, he was a +16 or so on a so-called weak Canuck D. Killed penalties, played against top units as well. He's the least of the Canuck issues on defense. Most everyone hates on his contract I suppose.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

Yep, he was a +16 or so on a so-called weak Canuck D. Killed penalties, played against top units as well. He's the least of the Canuck issues on defense. Most everyone hates on his contract I suppose.

Myers clearly was much better last year than at any time previously with us.  

But was his improved play a function of having OEL as his partner?  

Look at what happened to Chychscrub after OEL left.  He became a Green Jacket candidate.  

Maybe OEL is a heck of a good player who makes his partner appear better?

Hughes clearly made Schenn look way better than he actually is, and OEL did similar for Myers.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers clearly was much better last year than at any time previously with us.  

But was his improved play a function of having OEL as his partner?  

Look at what happened to Chychscrub after OEL left.  He became a Green Jacket candidate.  

Maybe OEL is a heck of a good player who makes his partner appear better?

Hughes clearly made Schenn look way better than he actually is, and OEL did similar for Myers.  

Don’t think that have anything to do with Oel since they don’t even play together. OEL made myer look better for sure. But doesn’t mean he will make klingsberg better. The guy is not a defensive defenseman at all. He take risk offensively all the time. Why are we paying so much for OEL if the purpose of him is just to be a stay at home defenseman covering the deficiency of his partner? We are paying Oel 7+ just to be a tanev so that we can sign a klingsberg for 7+ to babysit him and let him make the risky play? So instead of looking for a defensively reliable guy to replace Myers. In the 4-5 mil range you guys want to pay even more for a guy that basically is an offensive defenseman with limited defensive skill and force OEL into a more defensive role. No wonder our cap situation is so bad we keep forcing square pegs into round holes and forcing guys to to adjust to compensate so they end up being overpaid for the role they play on the team.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Bang on. Klingberg is almost the exact opposite of what we need. Myers is better defensively, Kling better offensively. We have Hughes and OEL to carry the offense. What this team needs is a cheaper, way more defensive alternative to Myers. Klingberg is absolutely not that. No, just no. I'd rather bring Willie Mitchell or Ohlund out of retirement. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3