The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blue Jackets trade Oliver Bjorkstrand to Kraken for 2023 3rd-round pick, 2023 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I like the move and it gives them a lot of flexibility moving forward. If they make the playoffs they are in a position to add. If they don't make it, they can sell and collect more assets. Lots of ways they can weaponize cap space because none of those contracts are too terrible.

For sure - Bjork will be a high valued TDL acquisition in a year at 50 percent retained. Dude is basically Jere Lehtinen

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well Edmonton got to the conference finals.... :bigblush:

Canucks gonna hit 300 goals this year with Kuzie and Mik joining the team - Edmonton, Seattle, Vegas with no back-up, Quick 1,000 years old, John Gibson potentially being traded and San Jose's.... "team".

• Cheers 1

I like the goalie offseason shuffle, Edmonton signs the goalie that couldn't get the Leafs past the first round of playoffs. The Leafs then turn around and sign Ottawa goalie that didn't get them into the playoffs. It's a bit of a head scratcher. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I like the goalie offseason shuffle, Edmonton signs the goalie that couldn't get the Leafs past the first round of playoffs. The Leafs then turn around and sign Ottawa goalie that didn't get them into the playoffs. It's a bit of a head scratcher. 

they were hilarious moves. like...everyone can see this is v bad....so why are you blind to that Kenny Holland and Kyle Dubas????

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Who is left for goalie on the trade market? Edmonton and Seattle can't be happy the way things sit right now.

I agree, but I can't imagine either of them doing anything either. Edmonton has essentially no cap, and Holland has to basically stand behind his decision to sign Campbell this summer at this point. Seattle signed Jones, so they have 11.5M locked up in active goalies and probably are not down to pay what it would cost to clear their goalie contracts at this point their cycle.

As far as available goalies, John Gibson has stated he'd be open to a trade & mayyyyybe the Islanders could be convinced to give up half their tandem. Lou Lam has said otherwise but I imagine he's getting more desperate. No starter FAs atm.

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I agree but Bjork is an unreal 2-way player as well.

There's some two-way acumen to his game, yes, but he is not basically Lehtinen - at all. Lehtinen was a stocky, bull-like power winger with ELITE defensive capabilities. Bjorkstrand is more of a wiry scoring/finesse forward. Two totally different players. 

13 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I agree but Bjork is an unreal 2-way player as well.

So basically Columbus has lost Oliver Bjorkstand and now have to look forward to 4 years of Erik Gudbranson on defense - but hey they did get Johnny 'I don't do playoffs' Hockey to sign, two things I wonder about in all this are #1 did Johnny G insist on his bodyguard coming with him (Like Gretzky and McSorley) and #2 is Sutter too much of a hard ass for the American superstars?? 

Edited by Podz92

14 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

There's some two-way acumen to his game, yes, but he is not basically Lehtinen - at all. Lehtinen was a stocky, bull-like power winger with ELITE defensive capabilities. Bjorkstrand is more of a wiry scoring/finesse forward. Two totally different players. 

Sorry, disagree. Bjorkstrand is elite defensively and at puck retrieval like Jere. Throws hits at a similar pace as to what Lehtinen did. Would've led Canucks in TKA/60 mins. Maybe he's 10 pounds lighter, but the relationship to weight has also changed in the NHL. He's basically a modern day Jere

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev

7 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Sorry, disagree. Bjorkstrand is elite defensively and at puck retrieval like Jere. Throws hits at a similar pace as to what Lehtinen did. Would've led Canucks in TKA/60 mins. Maybe he's 10 pounds lighter, but the relationship to weight has also changed in the NHL. He's basically a modern day Jere

I like Bjork's sandpaper, but Lehtinen would actually bulldoze his way through guys. Something Bjorkstrand doesn't do. And maybe I've underestimated his defensive abilities just a little bit, but quote me in this thread when Bjorkstrand wins three Selke trophies. :P

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Probably a 3rd.

Sheesh!!  GMJB :picard: … the gift that keeps on giving. :( 

Give Garland consistent top 6 mins and he can fetch you a late 1st at the deadline, imho.

problem is I doubt he sees those mins here now with the depth we have. If he isn’t traded beforehand he’s interchangeable with Podz for 2/3 pairing RW

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Probably a 3rd.

Sheesh!!  GMJB :picard: … the gift that keeps on giving. :( 

In this flat cap era we can’t separate a player’s value from his contract.  That’s exavtly why Miller has such high value (hee hee; another Miller thread) Miller is a 100 point top line player who is on a fabulous number.  Can definitely see Co.umbus giving up a lot to bring him in.  They need a number one centre. 

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what I don't understand is why they didn't move Nyquist instead? 

Probably cuz instead of getting picks back, CBJ has to spend a 1st + Nyquist for the popular Mr. Future Considerations.  :P

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I like Bjork's sandpaper, but Lehtinen would actually bulldoze his way through guys. Something Bjorkstrand doesn't do. And maybe I've underestimated his defensive abilities just a little bit, but quote me in this thread when Bjorkstrand wins three Selke trophies. :P

Haha trust me, Jere is one of my fav players of all time, I don't make a comp lightly. You're right, he's larger and his hits were felt when he completed his checks which was often in his prime.

Not saying Jere didn't individually deserve his Selkes, cuz he certainly did, but playing on a top team as quickly as his sophomore year might be a bitttt of a difference maker there lol. Could see Bjork making his way there if he ever plays on a decent team.