The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

I look at this trade and think, if the Flames don't announce extensions for Huberdeau and Weegar in the next week, this could easily become a huge $&!# show for them.

They potentially have 2 more high profile guys walking away next summer. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Stanley C. Panther has to work at the Calgary Stampede for 8 years. 

And you know how they treat animals in Calgary......

They marry them if they've run out of available cousins. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Darius said:

you could be right, let see what happens in the next weeks.  on the other hand the fact that Florida coughed up so many prime assets could be an indicator that Calgary had no indication that these guys would definitely sign.

It'll be interesting to watch how Calgary plays this........extending both players signals all in for the next 3 seasons and probably puts them top 5 in the league, but if they don't win, it's going to be tough to rebuild.

Or they use at least one of them to get younger, set themselves back a bit, but extends their contention window

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Isam said:

No they are not. They are still gonna have to address their defense. Weegar played massive minutes for them and they really have no one in the system to replace him with and huberdeau was their primary play driver. Florida overpayed hard for the grit that so many people value and may have closed their window. 

Cowpies stink, and lost the trade. :frantic:

32 minutes ago, mpass1 said:

I find it fascinating how everyone thinks Calgary won this trade, Im more pessimistic for them. I can see why Huberdeau was dumped by Florida, his playoff performance this year was beyond dreadful. (Lol I know, I know still a 115 point player in the regular season though)

Im leaning towards not viewing this as a homerun trade that some posters see it as.  I was reading HFBoards Panthers site.  Their fans were generally surprised at how much they coughed up to get Tkachuk.  But there was a common thought that Florida could extend its contention window by 5 years by obtaining Tkachuk whereas the guys they traded were on the tail end of their impact years.  Im willing to bet that Huberdeau and Weegar were better in the previous 8 years than they will be in the next 8 years.  Calgary would be taking on  risk if they end up signing these guys long term...if they dont make noise in the playoffs in the next couple seasons they could be in a position where they are paying one or both of these guys 9-10 million dollars into their declining years.

This is why in my mind Miller isnt worth the haul that some think he is.  Awesome player...but is the Miller we see at 29 going to be the Miller we see at 34-36 when you are paying him for what he did now.  Theres a lot of risk in that - more of a risk than if Miller was 24.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It'll be interesting to watch how Calgary plays this........extending both players signals all in for the next 3 seasons and probably puts them top 5 in the league, but if they don't win, it's going to be tough to rebuild.

Or they use at least one of them to get younger, set themselves back a bit, but extends their contention window

I thought JH kinda disappeared at the tail end of the Florida playoffs? 

Best scenario of a bad saga for the Calgary. I guess the new pieces can be flipped if they won't extend. I thought JH would have had a NTC.  

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I look at this trade and think, if the Flames don't announce extensions for Huberdeau and Weegar in the next week, this could easily become a huge $&!# show for them.

They potentially have 2 more high profile guys walking away next summer. 

And why would these guys sign in Cowpie now they are both UFAs in one year?  Only reason would be a HUGE OVERPAY, right?  So the Cowpies either lose these two for nothing or grossly overpay to keep them.  This trade was all about Treliving trying to hang on to his job for another year.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

there was friction with lil Johnny tho, so we'll see about Huberdoo. 

I'm expecting the Lames to go out and overpay for Kadri now too. 

I think Kadri is doing everything he can not to go there. Nixed a trade to Calgary once. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I think Kadri is doing everything he can not to go there. Nixed a trade to Calgary once. 

but I thought everyone liked oil money?

I think now that he has a cup, he'll look for the best retirement package. 

• Like 1

Equivalent trade that Calgary & Florida did for the Canucks:

Canucks:

JT Miller 

Horvat

2025 1st Rd pick

for

NYI:

Matt Barzal with 8 year contract ext.

4th Rd pick.:picard:

Would rather re-sign Horvat to an 8 year contract and trade Miller for assets!

Edited by TheRick

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

there was friction with lil Johnny tho, so we'll see about Huberdoo. 

I'm expecting the Lames to go out and overpay for Kadri now too. 

Doubt it. I would watch for them though in trying to address their grit by maybe using hanifan as their bait.

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No way cgy moves them if fighting for top of division.  They're going for it again that's why they made this trade instead of getting picks and prospects.  They still have lots of cap space.  I wouldn't be surprised if they signed Kadri now.

I agree, they are all in.  Regarding Kadri, i dont think its going to happen.  Not to long ago there were reports he quashed a potential trade to Calgary because they were in his 10 team NTC.  I doubt that sentiment changes. Having lots of cap space and the ability to pay him probably doesnt change his mind.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that d group and Marky should be enough. 

Cowpies lost the two key pieces to their PP.  5 on 5 they will be fine.  They are going to get killed on the special teams’ battle though.  They will be a big minus there.  Thank goodness we are up wind from Cowpie because the stink down wind is going to be really nasty. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought JH kinda disappeared at the tail end of the Florida playoffs? 

Best scenario of a bad saga for the Calgary. I guess the new pieces can be flipped if they won't extend. I thought JH would have had a NTC.  

Well MT is just slightly over .5 ppg in his playoff career, so not exactly lighting it up either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Equivalent trade that Calgary & Florida did for the Canucks:

Canucks:

JT Miller 

Horvat

2025 1st Rd pick

for

NYI:

Matt Barzal with 8 year contract ext.

4th Rd pick.:picard:

Would rather re-sign Horvat to an 8 year contract and trade Miller for assets!

That’s actually a good start for a proposal.  

Miller + Bo for Barzal + Pulock

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic: