The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Scenario

Calgary becomes a bubble team.  Treliving pulls the trigger on a trade of Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL, also trades Mangiapane after realizing he won't re-sign.  Obtains 3 additional 1st round picks and some additional assets

Calgary becomes a lottery team with 4 total first round picks in this coming draft and a shot at Bedard.

Calgary officially kicks off their rebuild in monster fashion.

Yuck

Calgary had three picks in the 2013 draft. How’d that turn out again?

Any pick traded for those three would most likely be 25-32nd picks. Hardly franchise altering.

Marky and their D keeps them too competitive to realistically have any real shot at Bedard.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Scenario

Calgary becomes a bubble team.  Treliving pulls the trigger on a trade of Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL, also trades Mangiapane after realizing he won't re-sign.  Obtains 3 additional 1st round picks and some additional assets

Calgary becomes a lottery team with 4 total first round picks in this coming draft and a shot at Bedard.

Calgary officially kicks off their rebuild in monster fashion.

Yuck

That's a best case worst case. lol  

Worst case best case is they make the playoffs but get beat early and lose all those players to free agency. 

Just now, dr.naughtypants said:

Worst case best case is they make the playoffs but get beat early and lose all those players to free agency. 

Yep which is a very real possibility considering I don’t see them as the top team in the Pacific anymore so they may have to play Edmonton or even a team like Colorado first round.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep which is a very real possibility considering I don’t see them as the top team in the Pacific anymore so they may have to play Edmonton or even a team like Colorado first round.

I guess it's hard to say, but speaking of the Pacific, if nothing changes, save an adjustment to the defence, right now where do you see us finishing, in the Pacific only I mean?

Edited by CanucksFan8353

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I get the feeling that Huberdeau has let it be known he plans on testing free agency. I think there's a conditional first in the deal, so I'm guessing that's to cover his exit.

That's good that you can at least see them like that. When I see Calgary, I think Joel Otto kicking the puck in. lol

Just now, CanucksFan8353 said:

I guess it's hard to say, but speaking of the Pacific, if nothing changes right now, where do you see us finishing, in the Pacific only I mean.

If we go in with the roster we have?

I would say Edmonton is first, followed by Vegas, and then it would be us or Calgary for the third spot.

But I could also see us finishing higher than Vegas, or Calgary finish second and us third. Vegas is a wildcard to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

I get the feeling that Huberdeau has let it be known he plans on testing free agency. I think there's a conditional first in the deal, so I'm guessing that's to cover his exit.

That's good that you can at least see them like that. When I see Calgary, I think Joel Otto kicking the puck in. lol

Tye condition is that it's lottery protected I believe

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Calgary had three picks in the 2013 draft. How’d that turn out again?

Any pick traded for those three would most likely be 25-32nd picks. Hardly franchise altering.

Marky and their D keeps them too competitive to realistically have any real shot at Bedard.

Any team picking 3x or more in the drafts first round has a damned site of a better future than a team with none.

We had Marky and still drafted in the top 10 numerous times.

14 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Now, just for fun.  Let's say they do a massive sell off for picks this and next year

4-5 added picks in the first round or two this year and next.  They can kick off that rebuild as fast as any other team and do well by it.

Just imagine Calgary finishing their rebuild or supplementing what they have with years worth of youth and before the Canucks too.

Yikes

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Any team picking 3x or more in the drafts first round has a damned site of a better future than a team with none.

We had Marky and still drafted in the top 10 numerous times.

If you look at the teams that have had three picks the odds of picking high end talent with more than one is still very low.

That’s just the nature of trading for firsts from contenders. You’re basically throwing darts at a board with the 25-32nd picks.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If you look at the teams that have had three picks the odds of picking high end talent with more than one is still very low.

That’s just the nature of trading for firsts from contenders. You’re basically throwing darts at a board with the 25-32nd picks.

Yup.  The higher the pick, the better the chance of drafting a key core piece.  But on top of that it’s important to predict which drafts will be the best and get the higher picks in those.  So, don’t be like Benning and his “day to day”operation. 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Calgary walked in to 2023 with a top 10 pick and say 4-5 additional picks in the first 2 rounds moving up wouldn't be a stretch at all

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The higher the pick, the better the chance of drafting a key core piece.  But on top of that it’s important to predict which drafts will be the best and get the higher picks in those.  So, don’t be like Benning and his “day to day”operation. 

Of course but the point is adding two or three extra firsts equaling a team being set for the future has been proven false many times.

Teams always overvalue 1sts even though they end up being late firsts and have low odds of being NHLers.

Give me a 20-23 year old that is more of a known quantity every time.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

If Calgary walked in to 2023 with a top 10 pick and say 4-5 additional picks in the first 2 rounds moving up wouldn't be a stretch at all

Funny enough they tried to move up to number 1 with their three picks in 2013 and couldn’t.

It’s not that easy and the odds are still against you.

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Probably depends on who's available really. Would it fetch them Bedard? Probably not as I can't see anyone in their right mind wanting to give up that pick. lol

Edited by The Lock

19 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Calgary can try maintain form with Weegar and Huberdeau, and they got a 1st round pick to flip for more roster players. The idea they are dead in the water might not be true.

19 hours ago, Western Red said:

Wow what a return. 

Yes, for a team in its window of opportunity right now, Calgary made a great trade.

They lost a star player with one year left on his contract who was not going to re-sign.

They got back a star player (Huberdeau) of comparable quality who also has one year left. He is also unlikely to re-sign but he might. The fact that he is Canadian increases the chances of re-signing him. But even if he walks, that makes up for losing one year of Tkachuk. 

In addition, they got a legitimate top-4 RHD (the position the Canucks have been unsuccessfully trying to fill). Weegar is also Canadian and might re-sign.

They also got a prospect and a future first round pick. 

Calgary immediately goes back to being the favorite to win the Pacific Division and becomes a marginal Cup contender.

I think this is the absolute best they could have done under the circumstances. Have to give credit to Treliving. .. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Yes, for a team in its window of opportunity right now, Calgary made a great trade.

They lost a star player with one year left on his contract who was not going to re-sign.

They got back a star player (Huberdeau) of comparable quality who also has one year left. He is also unlikely to re-sign but he might. The fact that he is Canadian increases the chances of re-signing him. But even if he walks, that makes up for losing one year of Tkachuk. 

In addition, they got a legitimate top-4 RHD (the position the Canucks have been unsuccessfully trying to fill). Weegar is also Canadian and might re-sign.

They also got a prospect and a future first round pick. 

Calgary immediately goes back to being the favorite to win the Pacific Division and becomes a marginal Cup contender.

I think this is the absolute best they could have done under the circumstances. Have to give credit to Treliving. .. 

Markstrom gives them the ability to contend but let’s not pretend taking a 40 goal scorer off their roster isn’t gonna hurt their performance.

I see them as a top 3 team in the pacific but I don’t see them finishing higher than Edmonton now or even Vegas. The Canucks may even beat them out with their current roster.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Markstrom gives them the ability to contend but let’s not pretend taking a 40 goal scorer off their roster isn’t gonna hurt their performance.

I see them as a top 3 team in the pacific but I don’t see them finishing higher than Edmonton now or even Vegas. The Canucks may even beat them out with their current roster.

I actually think Vegas is on the outside looking in this season