The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

I don't see Calgary keeping these guys, Tkachuck was 24, entering his prime, they are well into their prime and about 3 to 4 years from beginning to decline. 

If we assume that the real effective career span of a player is 15 years, Tkachuck was 1/3rd into his effective career, these 2 guys are 2/3rds through.

Calgary needs to flip them at the deadline for high end picks and prospects,  its the only real way to salvage this long term.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't see Calgary keeping these guys, Tkachuck was 24, entering his prime, they are well into their prime and about 3 to 4 years from beginning to decline. 

If we assume that the real effective career span of a player is 15 years, Tkachuck was 1/3rd into his effective career, these 2 guys are 2/3rds through.

Calgary needs to flip them at the deadline for high end picks and prospects,  its the only real way to salvage this long term.

Maybe, still looks like they are class of Pacific division.
Edmonton may pass them this year but who really believes in them?

If the year doesn’t go well they can have a fire-sale at deadline. More competition for JTM trade if he hasn’t signed. 

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Maybe, still looks like they are class of Pacific division.
Edmonton may pass them this year but who really believes in them?

If the year doesn’t go well they can have a fire-sale at deadline. More competition for JTM trade if he hasn’t signed. 

If Doughty can stay healthy this year LA winning the division does not shock me at all. I don’t know how many more good years these Kings have left but they are sneaky good right now. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Why did Panthers give up Huberdeau?

If they had the money and cap for Tkachuk surely Huberdeau is a better player and would have asked for the same money basically..  why why give up a 115 point asset??

I mean they choked pretty hard in the playoffs, safe to say they wanted a shakeup.

Maybe they already got the sense that Huberdeau didn’t wanna re-sign and decided to get ahead of it.

Wouldnt be surprised if he’s a Hab this time next year.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Why did Panthers give up Huberdeau?

If they had the money and cap for Tkachuk surely Huberdeau is a better player and would have asked for the same money basically..  why why give up a 115 point asset??

1) main reason: big age differential

2) upchuk came with an 8 year extension signed until the end of his prime years, wow

3) huberdeau is not a better player, they're both elite in different ways

4) hubby criticized for perimeter play in an underwhelming playoff

5) tkachuk playoff contributor. like most rats, not perimeter at all

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean they choked pretty hard in the playoffs, safe to say they wanted a shakeup.

Maybe they already got the sense that Huberdeau didn’t wanna re-sign and decided to get ahead of it.

Wouldnt be surprised if he’s a Hab this time next year.

Definitely a good possibility. 

Otherwise, why wouldn't Florida re-sign him? 

Therr must have been some indication that he wanted to move on. 

Just now, BarnBurner said:

Definitely a good possibility. 

Otherwise, why wouldn't Florida re-sign him? 

Therr must have been some indication that he wanted to move on. 

Well I would imagine Huberdeau would cost a bit more than 9.5 mil on a long term deal.

At age 29 I’m not sure that’s a smart investment. They probably wanna maximize as many years of Barkov as they can. Signing Tkachuk just pushed that window back. So it does make sense for them.

Reports say that they were mad that Florida didn’t even offer an extension, but surely they already saw his ask and decided to not even engage and move him now.

Will be interesting to see who is the long term winners once the dust settles.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

1) main reason: big age differential

2) upchuk came with an 8 year extension signed until the end of his prime years, wow

3) huberdeau is not a better player, they're both elite in different ways

4) hubby criticized for perimeter play in an underwhelming playoff

5) tkachuk playoff contributor. like most rats, not perimeter at all

Wasn’t there a story (rumour?) about Huberdough leading a group of Florida players to a nudie-bar, where they hung out into the early morning hours of the day of game four against Tampa?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Wasn’t there a story (rumour?) about Huberdough leading a group of Florida players to a nudie-bar, where they hung out into the early morning hours of the day of game four against Tampa?  

Pretty sure it was only 3 bench warmers, Not the actually roster guys. Could be wrong but I've seen that story preached alot 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well I would imagine Huberdeau would cost a bit more than 9.5 mil on a long term deal.

At age 29 I’m not sure that’s a smart investment. They probably wanna maximize as many years of Barkov as they can. Signing Tkachuk just pushed that window back. So it does make sense for them.

Reports say that they were mad that Florida didn’t even offer an extension, but surely they already saw his ask and decided to not even engage and move him now.

Will be interesting to see who is the long term winners once the dust settles.

I thought Huberdough was offered a next contract, but he wanted huge money?  Then it was after that Tkatchuk came available and Florida went for the better and younger player.  

Im surprised Treliving didn’t want Reinhart instead of Huberdough.  Likely he asked and Florida said no. 

Edited by Alflives

Just wait for Huberdeau and Weegar to check out the Dome from the early eighties and the "state of the art facilities" at minus 20 degree weather and decide weather they want to re up with the Flames after being in Florida for multiple years...They would be silly to sign long term before that

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, wiseupsucker said:

Just wait for Huberdeau and Weegar to check out the Dome from the early eighties and the "state of the art facilities" at minus 20 degree weather and decide weather they want to re up with the Flames after being in Florida for multiple years...They would be silly to sign long term before that

But they get to plug in their cars now!  How cool is that?  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wiseupsucker said:

I'm waiting for them to see their new income tax bracket. 

7 hours ago, wiseupsucker said:

Huberdeau was born and raised in a small town in Quebec and played his junior hockey in New Brunswick. He is as Canadian as you can get. I doubt he wants to go play in the USA again just because of the weather. 

Weegar was born and raised in upper Ottawa. Played his Junior hockey in Nova Scotia. Again he is as Canadian as you can get. 

Calgary has the cap space to re-sign both so I assume they will.