The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

52 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Burke traded McCabe.  Jim Benning let guys like Edler, Tanev & Hamhuis go for NOTHING (heck, even depth defenseman Hutton).  Gillis wasn't charged with rebuidling.  Jim Benning was.  What depth do we have under Jim Benning's 7 years?

It's pretty frustrating to see Forsling and Rasmus Anderson out there as good as they are while Clendenning and Baertschi are well .......

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Smithers Joe…

I quoted you, but ikd?

Should the Canucks trade Hughes for a bigger d man?

Scott Niedmeyer. Sp?

Nuff said.

The Devils got Scott Stevens to play with Scott Niedmeyer and their dynasty ended when Neidmeyer went to Anaheim.

then the ducks got Pronger to play with Scott.

The Hawks kept Keith and when he left they were over too.

I would think trading Hughes would be self lobotomy.

i agree, i wouldn't trade him. i asked that question to those who think ASP is too small for canucks.

Just when it looks like we might be able to sneak out with Reinbacher or Daliborsky at #11, they rocket into McKenzie's top 10.:(  Considering how early the two top-ranked RHD went in last year's draft, I'm feeling pretty certain now that someone else will take Reinbacher even earlier that McKenzie's #10 ranking.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

I rewatched the 2014 draft broadcast by Bob McKenzie for TSN.  What a great watch.  Bob called a scary number of picks correctly and it was fascinating to see where each of the francises was 9 years ago and where they are now.  

Florida is mentioned as building around Bjugstad, Barkov, Huberdeau, and Gudbranson as they go on to select Aaron Ekblad. 

Canucks come close to trading their 6th overall, 24th overall, and a prospect in exchange for 1st overall. 

Buffalo chooses Reinhart who was definitely deserving of being 2nd overall.  His career so far can definitely be a lesson on the cautions to be had when it comes to settling for being a perennial loser.  

Draisatl goes 3rd, and is now probably the 2nd best player in the world (IMO). 

Kinda funny that the camera pans over to Calgary after the Edmonton pick and they all look pissed (including Burkie there).  They're pigeon-holed into selecting Sam Bennett, the true 18 year old Sam Bennett.  

Anyways, great watch for whoever is looking for some early draft entertainment... 

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Bob McKenzie's new top 12. 

Interesting to see who's not on the list. 

https://twitter.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1654511088455630857?s=20

Not surprised, seems heavily based on the IHFF U18 tournie though, putting Smith that high. I think he forgot that Carlsson and Michkov are getting it done right now in top leagues whereas Smith is still a boy in comparison. He's scored loads and looked great at the tournie, but was on a stacked top line feasting on bottom teams. I think Carlsson still goes above Smith but maybe only just. The Michkov wild card is tricky, he'll probably end up being the 2nd best player in this draft but it's always a risky one, crazy if he goes 5th but he will certainly drop.

Leonard so high is interesting too but he looked very solid at the tournament, and no ASP is a surprise - I think someone will take him top 5 and pass on one of these American centers.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I rewatched the 2014 draft broadcast by Bob McKenzie for TSN.  What a great watch.  Bob called a scary number of picks correctly and it was fascinating to see where each of the francises was 9 years ago and where they are now.  

Florida is mentioned as building around Bjugstad, Barkov, Huberdeau, and Gudbranson as they go on to select Aaron Ekblad. 

Canucks come close to trading their 6th overall, 24th overall, and a prospect in exchange for 1st overall. 

Buffalo chooses Reinhart who was definitely deserving of being 2nd overall.  His career so far can definitely be a lesson on the cautions to be had when it comes to settling for being a perennial loser.  

Draisatl goes 3rd, and is now probably the 2nd best player in the world (IMO). 

Kinda funny that the camera pans over to Calgary after the Edmonton pick and they all look pissed (including Burkie there).  They're pigeon-holed into selecting Sam Bennett, the true 18 year old Sam Bennett.  

Anyways, great watch for whoever is looking for some early draft entertainment... 

Insane, even if we snagged a top 3 pick with our two firsts, I bet we'd miss on Draisaitl anyway. Virtanen + McCann for Ekblad or Draisaitl is pretty nuts.

This draft will and should haunt the Canucks - we had a chance to draft a star with the 6OA like Nylander or Ehlers, and could have taken a defenceman like Marcus Pettersson with our late first. No need to mention Pastrnak was taken right after we took McCann but a lot of teams slept on him. We got Demko right though.

When you look at the Dallas big draft, that's how you rebuild in a flash - 3 good picks in a good draft give you 3 core members. I know it's all if's but's and maybe's but if we walked away with Nylander, Pettersson and Demko that's a heck of a core to build around.

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Just when it looks like we might be able to sneak out with Reinbacher or Daliborsky at #11, they rocket into McKenzie's top 10.:(  Considering how early the two top-ranked RHD went in last year's draft, I'm feeling pretty certain now that someone else will take Reinbacher even earlier that McKenzie's #10 ranking.

That’s the positive vibes we need.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Insane, even if we snagged a top 3 pick with our two firsts, I bet we'd miss on Draisaitl anyway. Virtanen + McCann for Ekblad or Draisaitl is pretty nuts.

This draft will and should haunt the Canucks - we had a chance to draft a star with the 6OA like Nylander or Ehlers, and could have taken a defenceman like Marcus Pettersson with our late first. No need to mention Pastrnak was taken right after we took McCann but a lot of teams slept on him. We got Demko right though.

When you look at the Dallas big draft, that's how you rebuild in a flash - 3 good picks in a good draft give you 3 core members. I know it's all if's but's and maybe's but if we walked away with Nylander, Pettersson and Demko that's a heck of a core to build around.

Me, I take Larkin at 6, take Pasternak and Demko, keep the D men and never hire WD. And it’s a whole different story.

Even just trading JV and not Hiring WD would have been amazing in hind sight.

lighting the Pick on fire in a protest of whatever would have been better than using it.

Brocks back injury… JV did that.

Covid 19 thru the entire team and end whatever hope JB had at making good on his other picks, JV did that too.

But take any other player at 6 and McCann and then just keep the rest and never hire WD, and we would have been better for it.

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'd be upset about it but since this year the ball falls in our favor I am not. We're moving to the top Baby!

• Like 1

I’m getting the sense that if a couple of players are off the board when Van picks that this will actually be the year they trade back . 

Wallinder, Simashev, Stenberg, Danielson, Strbek, 

Lots of options if they move back to 18-20. 

Seattle has 21 and 53 they could be looking for an impact player 

Detroit has the Islanders pick and 3 second rounders 41/42/43 

They may want to reunite Smith and Leonard 

if Benson, Leonard, ASP,  are on the board teams could be calling 

Screenshot-2023-05-04-at-10.58.21-PM.png

Being deployed in all situations for Team Norway in build up to Men's World Championship.

Active taking away time and space with his reach and stature. Jumps to the half wall to kill plays on the PK. Gapping up with authority. Like any young player he has room to improve his angling and recoveries when pucks spill down the boards following a battle. On the PP he leans distributor more than shooter, but has a rocket from distance that he gets away quickly and accurately. Two-way top pairing NHL 'D' is possible. Coveted right shot.

Can anyone confirm this? Is Reinbacher playing for team Norway at the world cup??

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-ranking-the-top-60-prospects-for-the-2023-nhl-draft/

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:
Screenshot-2023-05-04-at-10.58.21-PM.png

Being deployed in all situations for Team Norway in build up to Men's World Championship.

Active taking away time and space with his reach and stature. Jumps to the half wall to kill plays on the PK. Gapping up with authority. Like any young player he has room to improve his angling and recoveries when pucks spill down the boards following a battle. On the PP he leans distributor more than shooter, but has a rocket from distance that he gets away quickly and accurately. Two-way top pairing NHL 'D' is possible. Coveted right shot.

Can anyone confirm this? Is Reinbacher playing for team Norway at the world cup??

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/scouts-analysis-ranking-the-top-60-prospects-for-the-2023-nhl-draft/

It's a typo. He's Austrian.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not surprised, seems heavily based on the IHFF U18 tournie though, putting Smith that high. I think he forgot that Carlsson and Michkov are getting it done right now in top leagues whereas Smith is still a boy in comparison. He's scored loads and looked great at the tournie, but was on a stacked top line feasting on bottom teams. I think Carlsson still goes above Smith but maybe only just. The Michkov wild card is tricky, he'll probably end up being the 2nd best player in this draft but it's always a risky one, crazy if he goes 5th but he will certainly drop.

Leonard so high is interesting too but he looked very solid at the tournament, and no ASP is a surprise - I think someone will take him top 5 and pass on one of these American centers.

It is not based on the U18s at all. Bob McKenzie does not make these rankings himself. They're entirely based on a survey of NHL scouts. NHL scouts will have gained more insight on the NTDP players from the 4 and 5 Nations than they did from this tournament. None of them forgot who's playing against boys and who's playing against men, but they still need to be able to compare and rank pro players against junior/college players, and the pro players don't automatically get the edge (Sale and Reinbacher had pretty good years in top pro leagues). The ~20 games the NTDP played against young men at the NCAA DI level (sometimes up to 25 years old) will have also been an important measuring stick for the NTDPers (Smith and Perreault both put up a p/g against DI opponents).

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Me, I take Larkin at 6, take Pasternak and Demko, keep the D men and never hire WD. And it’s a whole different story.

Even just trading JV and not Hiring WD would have been amazing in hind sight.

lighting the Pick on fire in a protest of whatever would have been better than using it.

Brocks back injury… JV did that.

Covid 19 thru the entire team and end whatever hope JB had at making good on his other picks, JV did that too.

But take any other player at 6 and McCann and then just keep the rest and never hire WD, and we would have been better for it.

Did JV start the war in Russia while he was over there too? /s

• Haha 2

I wonder of the chances Benson drops out of the top 10. When you see players like ASP,  Dvorsky, Perreault, Wood, all having a great U18 showing. Being a shade over 5'9 could he drop like Caufield?  Especially if the Canadians draft Michkov.  Seeing Smith push Mich down to 5 makes this possible.  I don't think Benson gets past 5 if Mich is drafted in the top 4. I get the feeling it's going to be a wild draft. In 2018 Arizona drafted Hayton, maybe his year a team goes off the board and drafts Stenberg in the top 10.  Anything is possible. 

Edited by Pure961089

I was musing over Bob McKenzie Final Draft Rankings over the past few years to glean any sort of trends that are happening with how the draft actually plays out.  I probably made some errors while inputting the information, so sorry in advance.

I did this for myself, but I figured I'd post it here for you guys.

Spoiler

1 Juraj Slafkovsky TPS (SM Liiga Jr.) 1st MTL
2 Shane Wright Kingston (OHL) 4th SEA (-2)
3 Logan Cooley USA U-18 (USHL) 3rd ARZ
4 Simon Nemec Nitra (SVK) 2nd NJ (+2)
5 Cutter Gauthier USA U-18 (USHL) 5th PHI
6 David Jiricek Plzen (CZE) 6th CBJ
7 Joakim Kemell JYP (SM Liiga) 17th NSH (-10)
8 Jonathan Lakkerimaki Djurgardens (SWE J-20) 15th VAN (-7)
9 Matt Savoie Winnipeg (WHL) 9th BUF
10 Marco Kasper Rögle (SHL) 8th DET (+2)
11 Kevin Korchinski Seattle (WHL) 7th CHI (+4)
12 Pavel Mintyukov Saginaw (OHL) 10th ANA (+2)
13 Conor Geekie Winnipeg (WHL) 11th ARZ (+2)
14 Danila Yurov Magnitogorsk (KHL) 24th MIN (-10)
15 Frank Nazar USA U-18 (USHL) 13th CHI (+2)

Spoiler

1 Owen Power 1st BUF
2 Matty Beniers 2nd SEA
3 Simon Edvinsson 6th DET (-3)
T4 William Eklund 7th SJ (-3)
T4 Mason McTavish 3rd ANA (+1)
6 Dylan Guenther 9th ARZ (-3)
7 Brandt Clarke 8th LA (-1)
8 Luke Hughes 4th NJ (+4)
9 Kent Johnson 5th CBJ (+4)
10 Chaz Lucius 18th WIN (-8)
11 Cole Sillinger 12th CBJ (-1)
12 Jesper Wallstedt 20th MIN (-8)
13 Matthew Coronato 13th CAL 
14 Fabian Lysell 21st BOS (-7)

15 Sebastian Cossa 15th

Spoiler
  1. Alexis Lafrenière, LW, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) 1ST NYR
  2. Tim Stützle, LW/C, Adler Mannheim (DEL) 3RD OTT (-1)
  3. Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury Wolves (OHL) 2ND LA (+1)
  4. Jamie Drysdale, RHD, Erie Otters (OHL) 6TH  ANA (-2)
  5. Cole Perfetti, C/LW, Saginaw Spirit (OHL) 10TH WIN (-5)
  6. Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa 67s (OHL) 9TH MIN (-3)
  7. Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda (SHL) 4TH DET (+3)
  8. Jake Sanderson, LHD, USNTDP (USHL) 5TH  OTT (+3)
  9. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL) 7TH NJ (+2)
  10. Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa 67s (OHL) 8TH BUF (+2)

Spoiler

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Smith

4. Carlsson

5. Michkov

6. Dvorsky

7. Leonard

8. Benson

9. Perreault

10. Reinbacher

11. Barlow

12. Wood

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

I was musing over Bob McKenzie Final Draft Rankings over the past few years to glean any sort of trends that are happening with how the draft actually plays out.  I probably made some errors while inputting the information, so sorry in advance.

I did this for myself, but I figured I'd post it here for you guys.

Hide contents

1 Juraj Slafkovsky TPS (SM Liiga Jr.) 1st MTL
2 Shane Wright Kingston (OHL) 4th SEA (-2)
3 Logan Cooley USA U-18 (USHL) 3rd ARZ
4 Simon Nemec Nitra (SVK) 2nd NJ (+2)
5 Cutter Gauthier USA U-18 (USHL) 5th PHI
6 David Jiricek Plzen (CZE) 6th CBJ
7 Joakim Kemell JYP (SM Liiga) 17th NSH (-10)
8 Jonathan Lakkerimaki Djurgardens (SWE J-20) 15th VAN (-7)
9 Matt Savoie Winnipeg (WHL) 9th BUF
10 Marco Kasper Rögle (SHL) 8th DET (+2)
11 Kevin Korchinski Seattle (WHL) 7th CHI (+4)
12 Pavel Mintyukov Saginaw (OHL) 10th ANA (+2)
13 Conor Geekie Winnipeg (WHL) 11th ARZ (+2)
14 Danila Yurov Magnitogorsk (KHL) 24th MIN (-10)
15 Frank Nazar USA U-18 (USHL) 13th CHI (+2)

Hide contents

1 Owen Power 1st BUF
2 Matty Beniers 2nd SEA
3 Simon Edvinsson 6th DET (-3)
T4 William Eklund 7th SJ (-3)
T4 Mason McTavish 3rd ANA (+1)
6 Dylan Guenther 9th ARZ (-3)
7 Brandt Clarke 8th LA (-1)
8 Luke Hughes 4th NJ (+4)
9 Kent Johnson 5th CBJ (+4)
10 Chaz Lucius 18th WIN (-8)
11 Cole Sillinger 12th CBJ (-1)
12 Jesper Wallstedt 20th MIN (-8)
13 Matthew Coronato 13th CAL 
14 Fabian Lysell 21st BOS (-7)

15 Sebastian Cossa 15th

Hide contents
  1. Alexis Lafrenière, LW, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL) 1ST NYR
  2. Tim Stützle, LW/C, Adler Mannheim (DEL) 3RD OTT (-1)
  3. Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury Wolves (OHL) 2ND LA (+2)
  4. Jamie Drysdale, RHD, Erie Otters (OHL) 6TH  ANA (-2)
  5. Cole Perfetti, C/LW, Saginaw Spirit (OHL) 10TH WIN (-5)
  6. Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa 67s (OHL) 9TH MIN (-3)
  7. Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda (SHL) 4TH DET (+3)
  8. Jake Sanderson, LHD, USNTDP (USHL) 5TH  OTT (+3)
  9. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL) 7TH NJ (+1)
  10. Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa 67s (OHL) 8TH BUF (+2)

Hide contents

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Smith

4. Carlsson

5. Michkov

6. Dvorsky

7. Leonard

8. Benson

9. Perreault

10. Reinbacher

11. Barlow

12. Wood

Point well made, anything is possible, one thing I see a pattern of is smallish players dropping a few spots where bigger more grittier players jump up a few spots. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Stenberg go in the top 10 and Benson drop to 11