The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

And he wouldn't even be a bad pick.  I don't see much difference between Stenberg and Leonard. 

At this point in time, Leonard has the better offensive potential, and seems to be the better play driver of the two.  But they are pretty even in most other aspects.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i'm beginning to think, we take stenberg with pick 11.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/otto_stenberg_is_heating_up_at_the_right_time_ahead_of_the_2023_nhl_draft/s1_16958_38761237

When he’s wearing his nation’s colors, Stenberg is dominant.

But it’s league play where Stenberg started to fall a bit flat. He had just one goal and 23 points with Frolunda’s SHL team and 26 points in 29 games at the U-20 level. The challenges against men were understandable, but he was still less productive than guys like David Edstrom, Anton Wahlberg and Axel Sandin Pellikka, all of whom are on this Swedish U-18 team.

And then in the SHL, 16 players with at least 15 games played had more points than him. Still, he had good numbers for the most part, but there were other U-18 guys that stood out more. So, truly, he was at his best when representing his country.

Stenberg isn’t phased about the low numbers in league play.

“There are bigger players. You’re playing against men,” Stenberg said. “It’s a little bit faster, and a bit heavier, but it’s hockey. I’m just trying to play my game. Playing against my own age group, I can play on the power play and play with the puck a little bit more than in the SHL.”

That’s very true, and his confidence is beaming through. However, Stenberg’s draft stock has fluctuated depending on who you talk to this year. In the SHL, he looks lost at points. Against his age group, the numbers have been strong. So it’s tough to get a good read of what teams might think.

“The talent’s all there,” a scout said. “But it’s about being more consistent against tougher competition. He’s capable of it, but you really notice when he’s off his game.”

With points in every single game in Switzerland, consistency hasn’t been an issue. Compared to a year ago, his defensive game has also improved quite a bit.

“He’s willing to get physical and move guys away from the net,” another scout said. “He can play center and the wing and does a good job of helping his teammates back in the defensive zone. He was missing that last year.”

Stenberg, like many Swedes, loved watching clips of Peter Forsberg growing up. He also enjoys watching Matt Duchene, a name players don’t typically compare themselves to all that often. But there are some similarities, mostly in the defensive responsibility department.

“(Duchene is) good in both ends of the rink and strong on the puck,” Stenberg said. “I like to play like that.”

Stenberg’s offensive game is built around being dynamic. He’s patient with the puck, a smart distributor and puts some decent power behind his shot. Stenberg can be very shifty and tough to read as a defender. At this point, it’s about being a better finisher, which hasn’t been an issue at the U-18s.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

At this point in time, Leonard has the better offensive potential, and seems to be the better play driver of the two.  But they are pretty even in most other aspects.

You Have To Factor in hat they play against their age group. Stenberg plays against men. When Stenberg plays within his age group their stats are comparable and he doesn't have a Smith playing with him.   

• Upvote 1

Is too much being made of Musty's skating or not enough??

He's got the best PPG in the OHL of any draft eligible prospect. He's a big strong playmaker. I remember the first time I saw Bo skate and the Sedins weren't exactly fleet of foot either. Is Musty just stuff in the basement. Or is there something there? I've only seen him twice. Both games I thought he played pretty well. He seems to have good IQ like a Mark Stone.

Edited by hammertime

23 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Stenberg or Wood, both are very interesting.  I know he's "another winger" but his NCAA stats as a 17 year old playing against mostly men are disgusting.  I'd be happy to get him, the Canucks need more heavier players or players that play a heavy game.  Both Stenberg and Wood are great picks at 11

Edited by Pure961089

There's a rumour going around that if Allvin wins the draft lottery he's picking Leo Carlsson.  I'm assuming that's if the Canucks won the 2nd overall pick.  I can see him picking Carlsson over Fantilli but certainly not Bedard. 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

There's a rumour going around that if Allvin wins the draft lottery he's picking Leo Carlsson.  I'm assuming that's if the Canucks won the 2nd overall pick.  I can see him picking Carlsson over Fantilli but certainly not Bedard. 

If we get pick 2 I could see Allvin trading down one spot and getting the better player (Carlsson) and stealing a socond round from the club picking at 3. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Carlsson is a left winger. He doesn’t play much centre. I’m sure he could be converted full time to centre but his faceoffs probably wouldn’t be that good. 

If that is the case then Miller can stay at centre and Carlsson would play left wing. Carlsson is probably better against the wall than either Bedard or Fantilli, so I’m sure he’d be a great winger for Miller. He’s probably the best fit for Miller as well. 

If we were to get Bedard or Fantilli then Miller would have to move back to the wing. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Carlsson is a left winger. He doesn’t play much centre. I’m sure he could be converted full time to centre but his faceoffs probably wouldn’t be that good. 

If that is the case then Miller can stay at centre and Carlsson would play left wing. Carlsson is probably better against the wall than either Bedard or Fantilli, so I’m sure he’d be a great winger for Miller. He’s probably the best fit for Miller as well. 

If we were to get Bedard or Fantilli then Miller would have to move back to the wing. 

Carlsson is a natural centre. He’s 18 and playing in a high end pro league. So wing is a better fit right now. 

• There it is 1

Feel like Lenni Hameenaho needs to be talked about. IMO he's a top 20 1st round quality pick that seems to have slipped through the cracks. Or just isn't getting the respect he deserves for whatever reason?

Hamee time. 

12G 13A 25pts in 59 games in Liiga. 3g in 8 playoff games Hameenaho is just so money in the paint. 

Just watched Recruits lowlights vid on him and it's just such a crock of $#!T. Makes him look super weak on pucks and low compete which couldn't be further from the truth. @Recruits "Do better". His scrappyness is literally the first thing you notice watching him. He puts up all his points in the dirty areas against men. His checking and board play are top notch he'll pick a lot of pockets in the neutral zone and draw a lot of penalties on hooks n trips off players he just embarrassed. He's not the most exciting in terms of edge of your seat plays but he's always contributing all over the ice. He's got what I would call great fundamentals and it shows in how well his coaches trust him in all situations in Liiiga. 

League Quality

1. NHL

2, KHL

3. SHL

4. AHL

5. Liiga

6. NL

7. Czech Extraliga

8. VHL

9. DEL

10. Allsvenskan

Comparables that he has out produced this year. 

Sale ranked top 10 has 14 points 49 games Czechia

Dvorsky ranked top 10 14 points in 45 games Allsven

Haltuunen ranked late 1st 1 point in 28 games Liiga. 

Juraj Slafkovski 1st over all 2022 17 points in 49 games Liiga

He's out produced Kemell and the 3 swedes from Djugardens this year. 

Jiri Kulich 15 points in 52 games Czechia 

Anyway Ill get to my point what he's done this year is remarkable and he isn't doing it by riding coat tails and putting up filler points he's worked his tail off for his points and has not in my opinion gotten nearly enough respect. People ranking him in the 50's and 60's + are making a mistake. Some lucky team is going to run to the podium and get him at a number he has no business still being on the board at. Let's put a lil respect on Lenni Hameenaho's name come draft day. If he makes it to our 3rd we cannot pass on him. The fact that he's not ranked at least a late 1st early 2nd on every draft board makes no sense to me. Kid is battling men in the crease he was 3rd in scoring for Assat in the playoffs.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Screw said:

Could contain: Clothing, Shirt, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Face, Head, Jersey, T-Shirt

May the hockey gods smile on Vancouver today.

I’m trying so hard to channel my inner child who believed Peter Pan when he said that thinking happy thoughts could make me fly lol. Now I’m thinking happy/positive thoughts in hopes that the balls will land in our favour and we’ll keep this hometown kid with his home team! 

Please hockey gods, please! 

20 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

The only thing I would question is the claim that Stenberg is dominant in international play. 4 points in 4 games at the 5 Nations. 3 points in 3 games at the 4 Nations. Both tied him for the team lead with multiple teammates. Against a little bit older competition at the WJAC, his 3 points in 6 games put him 5th on the team. At Hlinkas, 7 of his 9 points came in 2 games against Slovakia and Switzerland. He was pointless in two losses against Canada (with a full roster in that one). So there does seem to be a pretty strong trend that he racks up points against weaker competition and not so much against good teams. Not exactly sure what to make of his 7 points in 2 games against Canada at U18s. Bedard, Benson, Barkey, Yager, Molendyk, Akey, Bonk. They were missing a lot of their good players.

If he was just struggling against older competition but lighting it up against his age group, that would suggest he's just not physically ready. But he's 180+ so that's not the vibe I get so much. My feeling is he'll be pretty highly translatable, but I'd have concerns about the skill level and upside.

• Cheers 1