The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do the combine results really mean anything? I recall 18-year old Sam Bennett couldn't do one pull-up, but yet there he is in the Stanley Cup Final.

They do mean something but a lot depends on the player. Context matters. If nothing it else it can strengthen conviction or be a tie-breaker of sorts. Pull ups are very dependent on body type (see Bedard). IIRC Sam Bennett had a shoulder injury at the time.

Some tests are pretty meaningless. The FMS for example is a waste of time which provides very little value to teenage hockey players. But I do think there is value in the lower body power tests (long jump, squat jump etc) and to a lesser extent VO2 max.

26 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Reading through the combine results it seems that the best performers on the more meaningful tests were Honzek, Willander, Moore, Danielson. Particularly Honzek, I wont be surprised if this raises his stock. These tests give some decent insight into general athletic qualities but they don't indicate skill obviously.

I know nothing about him but Matteo Mann seems like a beast. 6'6 RHD from the Q.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/2023-nhl-combine-results-top-10-prospects-in-every-drill/

His dad is the assistant GM of Sens, he is a man among boys and would be a great pick up in the 4th imo. Physical, good defensively and on PK, offensive leaves some to be desired, moves well enough for someone his size. I believe his uncle is a skills coach or something along those lines as well. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 2

Just now, HKSR said:

Ummm... Benson, Hoglander, Garland, Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, Lekkerimaki ... are we trying to build a sub 6'0" forward group or something??

Could care less about his size. We need more elite talent.

Even if he doesn’t fit a long term blueprint you always take the BPA.

A guy like Caufield will always have more value than a guy like Podkolzin. If Benson develops to that level we can trade him for a legit first pair D man.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Ummm... Benson, Hoglander, Garland, Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, Lekkerimaki ... are we trying to build a sub 6'0" forward group or something??

We could nickname our forward group the lollipop guild, which would be humbling for other teams when we beat them. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Could care less about his size. We need more elite talent.

Even if he doesn’t fit a long term blueprint you always take the BPA.

A guy like Caufield will always have more value than a guy like Podkolzin. If Benson develops to that level we can trade him for a legit first pair D man.

IF he develops to that level.  Same could be said of Podkolzin, but with Podz, if he doesn't develop to that level, he's still a valuable bottom 6 forward.  Benson would be useless if he doesn't produce.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do the combine results really mean anything? I recall 18-year old Sam Bennett couldn't do one pull-up, but yet there he is in the Stanley Cup Final.

I remember one year David Carle had a heart condition, was scouted to go between the 2nd and 3rd round and the NHL combine medical testing help find a heart issue that led him to retire from hockey before being drafted. Sometimes the combine helps teams find out the medical history of players.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2020/1/19/21072825/led-by-the-youngest-coach-in-ncaa-hockey-du-players-have-a-special-bond-with-coach-david-carle

Carle was committed to play for Denver and was projected to be a high draft pick in the 2008 NHL Draft. However, during routine medical testing at the NHL combine, doctors found Carle’s heart was slightly enlarged, and he was subsequently diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Carle was still drafted in the seventh round to the Tampa Bay Lightning but was forced to retire upon his diagnosis. 

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Assuming Leonard and Reinbacher don’t fall, I think management is taking Willander. Two way defenseman with some snarl and physicality and the best skater in the draft of all defenseman.

Seider vibes from Willander.

It could easily be seen as QHs future partner...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

IF he develops to that level.  Same could be said of Podkolzin, but with Podz, if he doesn't develop to that level, he's still a valuable bottom 6 forward.  Benson would be useless if he doesn't produce.

There’s a reason why top 6 powerforwards are so rare. Podkolzin is unlikely to develop to that level.

Caufield was always a safe bet to put up points, same with Benson. Can’t afford to take another bottom 6 forward with a top 10-11 pick.

Edited by DeNiro

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s a reason why top 6 powerforwards are so rare. Podkolzin is unlikely to develop to that level.

Caufield was always a safe bet to put up points, same with Benson. Can’t afford to take another bottom 6 forward with a top 10-11 pick.

It’s a pretty subjective type thing,  arguably a guy like podkolzin is more valuable than a caufield in the playoffs where truculence starts to trump finesse.    Who’s winning battles on the wall more often, wearing down the other teams best players

• Like 3

The thing with Willander that concerns me is that he's ranked pretty low (2nd round) by everyone, except Button. Looking at MyNHLDraft, which I believe combines all of the boards for their rankings, and Willander still doesn't make the 1st round on that list.

In fact, Gulyeyev, Simashev, Bonk and Molendyk are all ranked higher.

Canucks have one shot at #11 to select an elite player. If they go with Willander, I will be disappointed. Allvin trying to assemble Team Sweden over here.

14 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

It’s a pretty subjective type thing,  arguably a guy like podkolzin is more valuable than a caufield in the playoffs where truculence starts to trump finesse.    Who’s winning battles on the wall more often, wearing down the other teams best players

Benson might be able to muscle gaudreau off the puck. But maybe not. The local small boy experiment has never worked. Ronning was acquired after he’d proven himself. How many times has Tochett said the team needs size and grit  benson :picard:

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The thing with Willander that concerns me is that he's ranked pretty low (2nd round) by everyone, except Button. Looking at MyNHLDraft, which I believe combines all of the boards for their rankings, and Willander still doesn't make the 1st round on that list.

In fact, Gulyeyev, Simashev, Bonk and Molendyk are all ranked higher.

Canucks have one shot at #11 to select an elite player. If they go with Willander, I will be disappointed. Allvin trying to assemble Team Sweden over here.

At least he’s got a little grit and some size. It also address’s a positional need. Benson doesn’t check off any of those 3 needs. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Benson might be able to muscle gaudreau off the puck. But maybe not. The local small boy experiment has never worked. Ronning was acquired after he’d proven himself. How many times has Tochett said the team needs size and grit  benson 

At least he’s got a little grit and some size. It also address’s a positional need. Benson doesn’t check off any of those 3 needs. 

Canucks still need elite players, regardless of position. 

Virtanen filled a need too, when Benning thought the Canucks should get grittier and needed that power forward. He was not the right choice.

Looking back at slighter players in 2014 like Willy Nylander, Dylan Larkin and Nik Ehlers, who VAN passed on, to try and get tougher. But look at them now, compared to Jake. 

Yes, Quinn Hughes needs a really good RD partner, but I'm not sold that Willander is the guy. How long is it going to take him to get here? 4-5 years? They need someone for Quinn sooner than that.

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It took Bert like 8 years to arrive to, the rare PWF can also take more nurturing / development time to fully land.

At least podz has shown flashes, and from what players, coaches media say about this he is a very hard working, driven player with high expectations for himself.

I still believe in podz. not to be a tkachuk but to be an impactful PWF.

I do agree tthough that is a high pressure pick that will have heaps of options and we cannot afford a miss. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Benson might be able to muscle gaudreau off the puck. But maybe not. The local small boy experiment has never worked. Ronning was acquired after he’d proven himself. How many times has Tochett said the team needs size and grit  benson :picard:

I mean we live in a world where caufields knock Tyler Myers off pucks in the corner so who knows 

Edited by R3aL
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks still need elite players, regardless of position. 

Virtanen filled a need too, when Benning thought the Canucks should get grittier and needed that power forward. He was not the right choice.

Looking back at slighter players in 2014 like Willy Nylander, Dylan Larkin and Nik Ehlers, who VAN passed on, to try and get tougher. But look at them now, compared to Jake. 

Yes, Quinn Hughes needs a really good RD partner, but I'm not sold that Willander is the guy. How long is it going to take him to get here? 4-5 years? They need someone for Quinn sooner than that.

They have 1 pick. In the 1st rd. That’s it. When they traded away the 17oa for hronek. I was and still am a proponent of that trade. But  I now know the frustration of potentially losing a pick. And that’s what would happen if they choose benson.  Taking benson over a player with size overlooks everything tochetts been saying in just about every post game scrum. on what he thinks the team lacks currently. Picking diminutive players isn’t what the Canucks need right now. I sure hope for the benefit of the team looking forward tochett has some sway about size of the pick as a condition of the pick itself. 

• Like 1