The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I really like Danielson and think he could be a great fit behind Petey as a RHC that can take some match ups. Also can play where miller plays on the PP. 

Watching his tape he has great skill, speed, skating, agility, and power to go with his size. He has a great shot and seems to find good areas of the ice. Plays smart defensively.

I haven’t seen enough to tell how he uses his size to provide snarl and not sure on the intensity he brings. Not at all criticizing this, just saying I don’t have the info to form an opinion on that.

It does seem like a he was in a situation where he didn’t have the cast around him to boost his numbers. It seemed he was trying to do way too much on his own at times. So I wonder if it’s a natural tendency to hold on to the puck too long or what? He tries a ton of dangles that worked in junior that just won’t work in the NHL, however it does highlight the skill and hands he has. 

I think there is untapped potential of being in the NHL where he doesn’t have to be the top dog and has great players around him. Combine that with coaching and refining some of the over handling of the puck and he could be a real gem.

May be well worth the pick at 11 depending how the top 10 unfolds. Perhaps even trading down a few picks to get back into the second round as well if we feel we can still walk away with this guy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mordekai said:

Man some have Reinbacher at 20 and some at 5 some have ASP at 5 and some at 20. I have seen Cristal at 5-6 and some at 30. Who actually has a good track record at these prospect rankings? Anyone know and trust?

Bob McKenzie is arguably the most respected and knowledgeable analysts when it comes to what scouts and teams are actually planning to do at the draft.  His lists are more accurate than most.  He did predict Slaf going first ahead of Wright.

His rankings as of May 5th.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/plenty-of-intrigue-after-connor-bedard-in-bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-lottery-edition-ranking-1.1956585

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I feel like the Wings need to take a swing on somebody that has high upside though. They don't have an equivalent to a Petey or a Hughes in their system. Something has to give in Detroit. 

I'd be surprised if Benson falls past the Redwings.  They need someone dynamic 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

I would be very happy with Moore, Dvorsky, or Danielson. It seems likely that Moore and Dvorsky will be gone before the Canucks pick but there is a chance one of them falls to 11. Danielson is likely to be there at 11 and, in my list, he will be the BPA at that point.

I agree that D is not as pressing right now. (Yeah, it would be great to another good D prospect, but the hole at center is bigger.)

In the unlikely event that Reinbacher is there at 11, then by all means take him, But I will be disappointed if the Canucks take Willander or ASP over Danielson, Moore, or Dvorsky.

Given the rumours about the Canucks interest in Willander and Barlow, I wonder if they are thinking of him a target if they trade down a few spots and try to get a second round pick in return. T

he Canucks apparently took 4 guys out to dinner at the combine: Danielson, Barlow, Willander, and Benson. There is a decent chance that all 4 guys will be there when the Canucks pick at 11. If so, the Canucks might feel safe in trading down a few spots. But I think I would just pick Danielson if that situation comes up.

One thing I like about Danielson is that, given his skating, his size, and "details" in his game, he would likely be able to help the team in his draft +2 year -- when Petey and Hronek will still be with the team (and Demko and Hughes). That year (2024-25) is likely to be the Canuck's best shot at doing something good in the playoffs for a while and it would nice to draft a guy who can contribute.to that.

I've heard some think Danielson caps out as a Brandon Sutter type player.  When healthy a very good 3rd line centre.  But I feel he has alot of untapped potential and can easily see him as a second line centre if given the chance to play with better players.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think both are a need, but I'd disagree slightly b/c we do have Raty who is a better C prospect than any of our D prospects. He could be a good 2nd/3rd line NHL C, I don't see a clear middle pair D in our prospect pool. 

And your not using this pick to get a player in the immediacy anyways so the holes on the current roster shouldn't be guiding the decision. 

If you view Willander or ASP as #3 defenseman, Colby Barlow as a consistent 30 goal & potentially 40 goal scorer, and you view Danielson or Moore as middle 6C's - perhaps more likely 3C's on a good team - then I don't think it's a given you take the C at all. 

I think the Canucks want to see what they have in 23 year old Filip Johannson who is also a very agile right handed 1st rounder, the Canucks have options there.  Raty is still very raw this year was a right off for him.  He had a pretty dreadful season with the Abby Canucks. He's not close.

I think Johansson makes the Canucks next year.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Thats fair, and this is the million dollar question, what's the upside? Could he be a Kesler level matchup center, or are we talking about an Adam Lowry type (whom I do love btw).

I'm not sure my opinion yet, planning to watch video on Danielson & Dvorsky so I'm sure we'll discuss it more once I've seen more

Quickly on Moore. I really like Moore for what he is. I'm thinking a Chandler Stephenson / Antoine Vermette / Mikeal Backlund type. I think he'll be a C & a top PK guy, a matchup guy, he'll score some points but more of a secondary scorer & 2nd PP type. Elite 3C, solid 2C. Not sure I'd take him at #11 but he's a guy you win with & you'd love to have on your team. 

I'd add on Barlow, he has grittiness too him aswell that's why he's so highly coveted.

He's not a pest like Tkachuk but he's got the potential to be a strong player around the net like Tkachuk - on-top of the amazing shot. He's got that kind of top 6 PWF/Grit scorer upside to him.

And he plays both end of the rink

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think both are a need, but I'd disagree slightly b/c we do have Raty who is a better C prospect than any of our D prospects. He could be a good 2nd/3rd line NHL C, I don't see a clear middle pair D in our prospect pool. 

And your not using this pick to get a player in the immediacy anyways so the holes on the current roster shouldn't be guiding the decision. 

If you view Willander or ASP as #3 defenseman, Colby Barlow as a consistent 30 goal & potentially 40 goal scorer, and you view Danielson or Moore as middle 6C's - perhaps more likely 3C's on a good team - then I don't think it's a given you take the C at all. 

I have heard Danielson is similar to Horvat but better defensively and skating 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the Canucks want to see what they have in 23 year old Philip Johannson who is also a very agile right handed 1st rounder, the Canucks have options there.  Raty is still very raw this year was a right off for him.  He had a pretty dreadful season with the Abby Canucks. He's not close.

i watched a bunch of abby games i didnt think raty was dreadful at all

he was raw for sure

but his deployment was very limited and his production far exceeded what youd expect from someone playing such a limited role

next year will be big for raty if he can carve out a bigger role for himself

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Here’s a theory of mine: 

Vancouver is interested in Barlow, Willander, Danielson 

The Benson/Wood dinners were just dinners for local guys who most likely grew up as Canuck fans to give them a memorable experience 

If Benson falls he would be a guy Nashville would be interested in trading up for .

15th + 46th + 79 for

11+ 89

In this scenario if your sitting at 11 and Benson is available you know Nashville is picking Benson leaving 3 picks. 
One of Danielson,Wood, Barlow, Willander, would be available 

I doubt it was a make a wish foundation type scenario with Wood and Benson, they likely wouldn't have wasted their time if there wasn't some real interest in the player. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

27 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I've heard some think Danielson caps out as a Brandon Sutter type player.  When healthy a very good 3rd line centre.  But I feel he has alot of untapped potential and can easily see him as a second line centre if given the chance to play with better players.  

Brandon Sutter never had a ppg in Junior. Danielson has been over a ppg in his last 2 years.

Danielson was on a weak team (.448 win percentage) and was in on 37% of his team's goals

as a benchmark Zach Benson on a powerhouse team that only lost 11 (almost .900 win percentage) games was in on 30% of his teams goals.

To suggest Danielson is Brandon Sutter ish is silly imho

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Brandon Sutter never had a ppg in Junior

Danielson was on a weak team (.448 win percentage) and was in on 37% of his team's goals

as a benchmark Zach Benson on a powerhouse team that only lost 11 (almost .900 win percentage) games was in on 30% of his teams goals.

To suggest Danielson is Brandon Sutter ish is silly imho

Danielson is also a C, I really think we need to draft C or D in this years 1st round, and TBH we should only be drafting RD and Cs throughout the entire draft this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

Danielson is also a C, I really think we need to draft C or D in this years 1st round, and TBH we should only be drafting RD and Cs throughout the entire draft this year.

Unless a very top ranked winger falls to us, there's no need to draft a winger. (Ie Michkov or Leonard). I am not totally averse to Barlow, he seems like a player you 'win with' so if he's taken over say Danielson, I wouldn't be fussed, I will trust the guys who watch these players as a career over the few videos, and articles I read.

That being said, if there's a center or dman we like equivalently on the board, you do have to take the center or dman. I just don't like the idea of 'reaching'. If you're going to reach, trade down and get a second rounder for doing so.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

It's plays like this that concern me about Sandin-Pellikka. As near-perfect as he was this tournament, this is such a crucial goal in the gold medal game, and that's 5'7, 160 lb Will Vote muscling him off the puck.

Unless a smaller dman is as good as Quinn Hughes, OUR team cannot and should not even consider a small dman given our needs and size issues.

Edited by NuckLuck19

7 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

It's plays like this that concern me about Sandin-Pellikka. As near-perfect as he was this tournament, this is such a crucial goal in the gold medal game, and that's 5'7, 160 lb Will Vote muscling him off the puck.

There is a lack of awareness on that play as it looks like Will Vote catches him by surprise, ASP skates backwards right in to him and Vote gets body position on him to create the turnover. Vote does end up on the ground though and ASP clear him from in front of the net after. That is very costly mistake in a big game though.    

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Even though I favor taking a C (Danielson, Moore or Dvorsky) in view of the likely options at #11, I agree that your take is very reasonable.

It is quite possible that Canuck management is looking at things the same way you are, which is why Willander, Barlow (and Wood and Benson) are all on their "short list" (along with Danielson). And obviously they know a lot more than any of us.

It will be interesting to see where Benson goes. He had been viewed as likely to go in the 5-8 range for most of the season but his stock has fallen a bit recently. He is small and he is expected to play wing in the NHL (not center) so those are two strikes against him. And his playoff performance in the WHL dropped off from the regular season. Guys like Smith, Leonard Dvorsky and Reinbacher have moved ahead of him on most draft boards. He could be there at 11. Do the Canucks snap him up and say "thanks very much" or do they go for Danielson or WIllander or Barlow or Wood instead,

• Cheers 1