The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benson will not be a center. No chance. He'll be a good winger.

I don't see these comparisons at all. Benson has skill but his game based on intelligence, he reads the play at an elite level. Those guys were flashy scorers in juniors, they didn't play the 200ft game Benson does. Benson could be a PKer in the NHL.

Not saying we need to draft him or you have to want us to take him or anything, I just don't see these comparables. Benson is more substance than flash like those guys (Goldy & Shinkaruk specifically). 

If Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Willander & Barlow are all gone by 11, I'd really consider it.

Move back & take Simashev ideally, or else Yager imo (or maybe Wood), solve a big $$$ issue & add a 2nd which should get us a good player. Its very enticing. 

The one thing I see in Benson, as a smaller player, is he reads the game similar to a Gaudreau, Ronning, or even Gilmour. He has such sublime vision and hockey IQ, that as a smaller player he is one or two steps ahead of everyone so that he rarely ends up in contact and makes great hockey plays as a result leading to goals because the bigger players just can't get to him in time. Also how Zubov played as a defenceman. He is similar to these smaller guys that didn't have top end speed either but relied on their smarts. Compare that with Garland who is always initiating contact and spinning around, fighting board battles and engaging with bigger players for possession. It's gutsy and admirable but I don't find it effective overall for contributing to winning hockey.

I predict Benson will have good success in the NHL but I am wary of him as our pick with the way we are kamikazically managed. We almost have to draft based on need, which is backasswards but is kind of where we're at.

• There it is 1

22 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, hearing Yzerman likes him is both good and bad. Will be watching that 9th pick with interest. 

We shall see a lot of People are pencilling in Reinbacher far too high in my opinion. 

alot is riding on the SJ pick, if they don’t choose Mitchkov and select Smith what does Montreal do? 

if Mitchkov is available for Washington maybe Dvorsky is available to Detroit ? 

a few variables for sure 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I've changed my mind on Benson, if he falls take him. He's just too good. He's too smart.

His first few steps are pretty good, top end speed isn't as good, but overall he's a good skater & he's still going to get stronger so maybe that'll help add power to his stride.

He’s also mentally strong. Works the mini doughnuts at the traveling fair and is not fat!? Kids got an iron will

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yes.  Sale is a good pick.  He has every possible tool in his box to become a quality player if not a star in the league.

BUT!

And there's a caveat here.

He also has all the potential to never pull those tools out of that box to put the puzzle together to be the player he could become.  He is my boom/bust player in this draft and as such I have him pretty high up on my list.  I'd be ok picking him but i'd white knuckle every single update until we saw him put a couple of seasons together and see what he was.

To me, he is worth the risk and yes I am on record previously saying I have serious reservations about drafting him because of just those reasons.

I love the way he plays, his speed, anticipation, finishing, and timing is spectacular. He's also got the projectible frame, plays against men already, and to me the quiet sense of a responsible professional. I think he's going to be quite something. I'd be more than happy with the pick. I find sometimes these Czech and Slovak players kind of fly under the radar for whatever reason. I remember banging the drum for Pasternak but I didn't even think he'd close to as good as he is. 

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The one thing I see in Benson, as a smaller player, is he reads the game similar to a Gaudreau, Ronning, or even Gilmour. He has such sublime vision and hockey IQ, that as a smaller player he is one or two steps ahead of everyone so that he rarely ends up in contact and makes great hockey plays as a result leading to goals because the bigger players just can't get to him in time. Also how Zubov played as a defenceman. He is similar to these smaller guys that didn't have top end speed either but relied on their smarts. Compare that with Garland who is always initiating contact and spinning around, fighting board battles and engaging with bigger players for possession. It's gutsy and admirable but I don't find it effective overall for contributing to winning hockey.

I predict Benson will have good success in the NHL but I am wary of him as our pick with the way we are kamikazically managed. We almost have to draft based on need, which is backasswards but is kind of where we're at.

I agree completely with you analysis. There's alot of Gaudreau there, maybe not the peak offensive output but he's got a Point-like Two-way game aswell. He's really got potential to be an elite player.

I disagree with the bolded. I do think there is some scenarios here (Willander for example) where you can get a great player & fill a need, but this is a premium asset we need to get a great player not worry about need.

If it's Benson or ASP/Danielson/Moore I'm taking Benson.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Smith

4. SJ - Carlsson

5. MTL - Dvorsky

6. ARI - Michkov

7. PHI - Leonard

8. WAS - Moore (damn)

9. DET - Willander (damn)

10. STL - Danielson (damn)

11. VAN - Barlow

Hahaha. Another reminder of why it wouldn't make sense to trade down. All these guys we are interested in are in our range.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:30 AM, spook007 said:

Believe they also took Wood out to dinner... :rolleyes:

irs-F9nK_x96.jpg

Replying to @DonnieandDhali
Agent Ross Gurney will not confirm but I am hearing the Canucks had dinner with Chilliwack native Zack Benson at the NHL combine last week. Another player the Canucks are very high on.

irs-F9nK_x96.jpg

Canucks also took Nanaimo native and F Mathew Wood out to dinner in Buffalo last week.

I feel bad for Bedard... nobody is gonna be taking him out for dinner except for CHI :(

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree completely with you analysis. There's alot of Gaudreau there, maybe not the peak offensive output but he's got a Point-like Two-way game aswell. He's really got potential to be an elite player.

I disagree with the bolded. I do think there is some scenarios here (Willander for example) where you can get a great player & fill a need, but this is a premium asset we need to get a great player not worry about need.

If it's Benson or ASP/Danielson/Moore I'm taking Benson.

Yeah we shouldn't draft on need I agree but man is our top 6 weaker than piss after a night of drinking Budweiser. :lol:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I feel bad for Bedard... nobody is gonna be taking him out for dinner except for CHI :(

I would have invited him out if I was calling the shots for the Canucks... Reallllly make the Hawks think and start setting the seeds for Free Agency now haha

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm sure he'll be able to afford many nice dinners very soon.

If I were him I'd be more worried about that organization slipping something into my drink, given how they operate. 

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think he'll pick someone with a high ceiling, like Benson or Wood.

I think you’re right. A recent mock draft had Yzerman trading up to pick 5th or 6th. Could see him being aggressive with his multiple firsts

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Smith

4. SJ - Carlsson

5. MTL - Dvorsky

6. ARI - Michkov

7. PHI - Leonard

8. WAS - Moore (damn)

9. DET - Willander (damn)

10. STL - Danielson (damn)

11. VAN - Barlow

I’d prefer benson + wood personally 

• There it is 1

12 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I think you’re right. A recent mock draft had Yzerman trading up to pick 5th or 6th. Could see him being aggressive with his multiple firsts

I don’t know if he could get:

Dvorsky/Danielson/Moore/ASP/Benson/Wood/Willander

then with the next pick:

Simashev/Honzek

i think I’d rather get the two then guaranteeing first pick of a dmen or a dvorksy / Leonard / Michkov 

• Upvote 1

Hughes/Willander

_______/Hronek

Pettersson/Woo

Could be a solid d core in the near future assuming we draft Willander.

Need a big Canadian LHD 

• Cheers 2

Yzerman is sure building a team, from the net-out? These are only the 24 and unders:

Zadina - Kasper - Raymond

? - Veleno - ?

Berggren - Rasmussen - ?

Edvinsson - Seider

Wallinder - Lindstrom

Buium - Tuomisto

McIsaac

Cossa

Maybe he does go with a winger:  starting to think WOOD could be a good fit in DET.   

Although, a D pairing of Wallinder - Willander would be fun ::D