The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

That may be true but last I checked, every team has a 1st round pick, which means even more that we won't gain any ground on other teams from this draft.  

I know, time will tell...

Willander and reinbacher are ready or close to nhl ready but it would be a stretch to say 32 players out this years draft make it right away much less make an impact. 

• Cheers 1

Apparently 3 scouts saying Simashev is the 2nd best player in the draft. Would be absolutely classic if ASP, Reinbacher and Willander go in the first 20 picks, Simashev gets taken in the late first and then he ends up being the best defenceman.

Will be interesting to see how good our European scouts are

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

My Wish list

Unlikely, but if they drop:

Dvorsky

Benson

More likely options in order:

Simashev

Willander

Moore

Danielson

If we walk away with any of these guys, I'd be pumped.

Exactly all the top 6 players I would be stoked if we pick one of them. LFG!

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My nerves are starting to ramp up :lol: Getting edgy and anxious, been waiting a year for this one pick (like most of us). 

I'm a little afraid Allvin is going to trade the #11 for D help now, like the #11 for Dumba (aaahhh! I would be so mad). Or maybe he's forced to trade down (and draft a lesser player) in order to move Garland, for example.

My high hopes are Reinbacher, Simashev, Benson and Dvorsky

I hear you!

but on the bright side of the 11is in play I’d hope it’s a draft floor deal.  IE if Reinbacher or Dvorsky or whoever for some miracle drop to us, it’s off the table. 

I've been for and against Matt Wood for months. One day I think he would be a great pick and the next I feel he's a winger and a bit slow etc. 

Isn't he one of the youngest prospects in this Draft? and he's 6'4' 193? How big is this kid going to get? If he improves his skating, he could be a force. Especially on Petey's wing. Plop him in front on the PP and the goalie wouldn't see a thing :lol:

Trying to think of which players could have the biggest impact. Wood could be the guy. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My nerves are starting to ramp up :lol: Getting edgy and anxious, been waiting a year for this one pick (like most of us). 

I'm a little afraid Allvin is going to trade the #11 for D help now, like the #11 for Dumba (aaahhh! I would be so mad). Or maybe he's forced to trade down (and draft a lesser player) in order to move Garland, for example.

My high hopes are Reinbacher, Simashev, Benson and Dvorsky

I feel like this is going to be the longest two and a half hours of my life - over a f*cking draft... :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I feel like this is going to be the longest two and a half hours of my life - over a f*cking draft... :lol:

Same here man. I'm on Salt Spring--a beautiful place--and all I can think about is the draft.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Apparently 3 scouts saying Simashev is the 2nd best player in the draft. Would be absolutely classic if ASP, Reinbacher and Willander go in the first 20 picks, Simashev gets taken in the late first and then he ends up being the best defenceman.

Picking Simashev at 11 would be pretty exciting. I also really like Wallinder too. Like many here, I am hoping that Benson falls. 

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

haha, I feel like this is Christmas dinner. Takes all day (year) to prepare, but it's scarfed down in 20 minutes. Have a feeling it'll fly by and then then the shock will set in :lol:

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Regarding Simashvev and the Russians, it is going to have much less to do with the scouts and their projections, and will have much more to do with management/ownership and their willingness to take Russians this early right now.

3 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Regarding Simashvev and the Russians, it is going to have much less to do with the scouts and their projections, and will have much more to do with management/ownership and their willingness to take Russians this early right now.

Yeah I think this is playing a lot more into things now than it ever has. It'll be insane to think that some people say Michkov might be better than Bedard and he could drop to 5-6th overall, but then again you never really know if he'll commit to the NHL long-term down the line

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Really boils down to whether or not his offensive game picks up. He has all the tools. But if he doesn't develop a scoring game he projects as more of a Zadorov type. Which isn't bad by any means, but not really top 12 in the draft either. He is one of the more interesting picks for sure. As is Michkov who would be a 1st overall candidate in any other draft, hell, maybe even this one. If not for the fact he is Russian and has that 3 year KHL contract.

• Cheers 1

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Carlsson

3. CBJ - Michkov

4. SJ - Fantilli

5. MTL - Smith

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Leonard

9. DET - Wood

10. STL - Barlow

11. ??  Benson, Simashev, Danielson, Willander

Canucks will have some real good options

35 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

I don't usually delve too deep into the draft and its prospects, but this year was different because of the exceptional forward talent at the top of the draft.  Yes, unfortunately we couldn't pick higher, but as the top forwards get snatched up, it leaves us with some interesing options on defense and center.

The names floating around 11th are Oliver Moore and Nate Danielson, although they do have the potential to be taken in the top 10.

Defensemen David Reinbacher and Axel Sandin-Pellikka had been top 10 options earlier in the year, but the recent play of Tom Willander and Dmitry Simashev have catapulted them into the conversation as potential Top 10 talent, creating more uncertainty in that 8 to 15 range.

There is a chance some high end forwards like Matvei Michkov or Zach Benson might fall to us, in which case I don't think we can pass on.

Any one of these players will address some of the issues with this team.  Just don't expect that player to be the solution to all of it.

Moore would surprise me. Remember this is no longer Brackett's Canucks. Harvey, Delorme, Gradin, Chibisov would have to be considered the top ranking guys, so CHL or Sweden seem far away the most likely outcome, although a Russian may not be implausible, considering the Canucks have recently had success bringing over Kuzmenko, and what a major role Chibisov has had in recent early picks in Podkolzin and Klimovich.

One of Honzek, Danielson, Willander would be my best guess. Simashev would be pretty cool though.

Edited by HighOnHockey

20 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

No need to lose nap-time over this because we all know PA will pick another regular season Finesse swede.

3 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Moore would surprise me. Remember this is no longer Brackett's Canucks. Harvey, Delorme, Gradin, Chibisov would have to be considered the top ranking guys, so CHL or Sweden seem far away the most likely outcome, although a Russian may not be implausible, considering the Canucks have recently had success bringing over Kuzmenko, and what a major role Chibisov has had in recent early picks in Podkolzin and Klimovich.

One of Honzek, Danielson, Willander would be my best guess. Simashev would be pretty cool though.

I truly believe Honzek is the darkhorse pick at our selection. 

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Carlsson

3. CBJ - Michkov

4. SJ - Fantilli

5. MTL - Smith

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Leonard

9. DET - Wood

10. STL - Barlow

11. ??  Benson, Simashev, Danielson, Willander

Canucks will have some real good options

If that’s the order (Fantilli is 99% number 2) then it’s Bensen, Simashev, Danielson, Willander in that order as you said.

I think Barlow is out of the top 10 and Benson is in though.