The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I expect the team to make their pick at 11th overall and be relatively quiet through draft Day 1 and 2. 

I think it will take some wingers to come off the market before teams show real interest in taking on Garland.

Kane, Pacioretty, Tarasenko, Barbashev, etc. Im not holding my breath for the Canucks to do much at all to be honest other than making their picks at the draft. 

31 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Apparently 3 scouts saying Simashev is the 2nd best player in the draft. Would be absolutely classic if ASP, Reinbacher and Willander go in the first 20 picks, Simashev gets taken in the late first and then he ends up being the best defenceman.

Will be interesting to see how good our European scouts are

Where did you hear this if you don't mind me asking?

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah I think this is playing a lot more into things now than it ever has. It'll be insane to think that some people say Michkov might be better than Bedard and he could drop to 5-6th overall, but then again you never really know if he'll commit to the NHL long-term down the line

Maybe I'm playing too much into this but it's just that I had both Yurov and Miroshnichenko very confidently in my top five last year, and both fell out of the top 20. Of course for Miro part of it was the health situation, but I can't imagine a scenario where Yurov would have ever fallen out of the top ten based on hockey, let alone to 24. Trikozov was always going to be a wildcard but in a normal year I think someone would have taken the chance on him by the end of the 1st or early 2nd, and he fell to 60. Teams don't seem to mind as much if they're already over here playing, as Mintyukov went 10th, otherwise I expect the Russians (perhaps including Michkov) will fall further than most fans seem to be thinking right now.

8 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I truly believe Honzek is the darkhorse pick at our selection. 

I'm going to need some time to let this settle, if this is their pick at #11. Honzek looks to be a good player, certainly has size, good hands. Similar to Wood, but maybe a better skater than Wood?

8 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I truly believe Honzek is the darkhorse pick at our selection. 

Agreed. For whatever reason Allvin seems to have a tendency for picking Europeans playing their draft year in North America. I guess the nice thing is your entire scouting staff gets to be involved in the pick. The Euros will have intel on him from before he came over and the NA guys will have scouted him heavily this year. And I mean he's been playing right in our own backyard.

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Agreed. For whatever reason Allvin seems to have a tendency for picking Europeans playing their draft year in North America. I guess the nice thing is your entire scouting staff gets to be involved in the pick. The Euros will have intel on him from before he came over and the NA guys will have scouted him heavily this year. And I mean he's been playing right in our own backyard.

They must have the book on this guy better than any team given he plays in Langely. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I'm going to need some time to let this settle, if this is their pick at #11. Honzek looks to be a good player, certainly has size, good hands. Similar to Wood, but maybe a better skater than Wood?

Far better skater than Wood I think. Doesn't have Wood's shot. I have them pretty close in my rankings. Honzek is probably the higher floor and Wood maybe the higher ceiling. Honzek is much more likely to be a center though in my opinion.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Apparently 3 scouts saying Simashev is the 2nd best player in the draft.

If 3 scouts know this, then others do as well and he won't last past the top 10, some team will go 'off the board' and grab him. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Carlsson

3. CBJ - Michkov

4. SJ - Fantilli

5. MTL - Smith

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Leonard

9. DET - Wood

10. STL - Barlow

11. ??  Benson, Simashev, Danielson, Willander

Canucks will have some real good options

^ This is the way to look at it.

Regardless of what happens before us (if we stay where we are), there's 100% chance that one of these guys will still be there at #11: Barlow, Wood, Reinbacher, Simashev, Benson, Danielson, Willander, Honzek, Yager, Pellikka.  If I'm betting, it's one of the D-men from this short list. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Looks like we're getting a great player no matter which way we go - forward or Dman.

Where are all the wet blankets who were alarmist, doom and gloom, that we weren't getting a good player at #11? 

Well I mean, when we were playing poorly we would have had a chance at Michkov...

Unfortunately we had to go on a tear as usual to end the season. 

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Well I mean, when we were playing poorly we would have had a chance at Michkov...

Unfortunately we had to go on a tear as usual to end the season. 

I'm pretty comfortable with where we are... and I was pro-tank. There's still a chance Michkov falls to us. I think people are overlooking or downplaying the Russian factor. I'm much more comfortable with taking Michkov at 11 than I would have been at 5.

• Like 1