The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I've done a fair amount of watching Dvorsky he's been on the radar for quite a while now after the tremendous year he had last year. With him on paper ticking a lot of boxes for me as a Canucks fan and fan of the draft I've watched quite a few of his games and mostly found him underwhelming considering all the hype. But that's just my opinion based on what I've seen he's not a top 10 for me. Obviously I'm in the minority on that opinion as he's consistently ranked top 10.  I just haven't seen it and I can only go on what I have seen. 

When I have watched him little too and when I have.. I have been impressed and I see a very translatable style.

I felt like when played down with men and got away from his strengths jus trying got fit in with them. He also shot much less in the games I saw and he has a great shot.

His time with his U20 I think he plays differently. And when he played with high skill peers he really shines.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted him. But I haven't seen enough to be fully confident he would be the BPA for us when we are up to bat depending on who's on the board still

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It this mostly based on his pro games or limited play at the junior level? The Allsvenskan is a very tough league he has been playing in this year, you can look at high end guys like Ohgren and Lekkerimaki who have struggled to produce there. I think the fact that Dvorsky has a late birthday and is still only 17 years gets lost a bit with how much pro hockey he has already played in his career.  

Very true. And I hear what you're saying. My issues are more with his play than his stats. 

But if you'll allow me to talk stats.

Pete was PPG in his draft year in the Allsven Jonathan Dahlen put up better numbers than Dvorsky in his draft year. 

In regards to the guys you mention Ohgren Ostlund Lekkerimaki I mean if I'm being brutally honest they have all underwhelmed Lekkerimaki the most but I'm not holding any of them in high regard. Oskar Asplund an undrafted D from last year out scored all 3 of them. 

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Very true. And I hear what you're saying. My issues are more with his play than his stats. 

But if you'll allow me to talk stats.

Pete was PPG in his draft year in the Allsven Jonathan Dahlen put up better numbers than Dvorsky in his draft year. 

In regards to the guys you mention Ohgren Ostlund Lekkerimaki I mean if I'm being brutally honest they have all underwhelmed Lekkerimaki the most but I'm not holding any of them in high regard. Oskar Asplund an undrafted D from last year out scored all 3 of them. 

Dahlen actually has great stats in the NHL too 12 goals and 22 pts in only 61 games played, its when he doesnt have the puck that's the issue. Dvorsky in my opinion isn't a defensive liability when not scoring, which allowed him to go pro at the age of 15. Dvorsky will never be Petey but I think he has a good chance to develop into a second line center that can play a matchup role. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, R3aL said:

When I have watched him little too and when I have.. I have been impressed and I see a very translatable style.

I felt like when played down with men and got away from his strengths jus trying got fit in with them. He also shot much less in the games I saw and he has a great shot.

His time with his U20 I think he plays differently. And when he played with high skill peers he really shines.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted him. But I haven't seen enough to be fully confident he would be the BPA for us when we are up to bat depending on who's on the board still

That's great to know because I know you do actually watch these kids too.

He's 17 theres a long way to go I want every kid to reach their ceiling. I havn't seen what I'd hoped to see when I've watched him  and I've seen more that excites me from some other kids. What ends up 3-4 years from now is anyone's guess. If we take Dvorsky and both Reinbacher and Michkov are off the board I'll be much happier than last year. 

25 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dahlen actually has great stats in the NHL too 12 goals and 22 pts in only 61 games played, its when he doesnt have the puck that's the issue. Dvorsky in my opinion isn't a defensive liability when not scoring, which allowed him to go pro at the age of 15. Dvorsky will never be Petey but I think he has a good chance to develop into a second line center that can play a matchup role. 

I hope you're right I want every one of these kids to succeed. I don't know him personally and I'm def not here to put him down I just like what I've seen from other kids more. I see a C who cant carry the puck it's a big red flag for me. 

Maybe we chalk that up to room for growth. Kids 17 there's a long way to go and grow. But at 6'1 200lbs I'd like to see him show more in this regard

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, hammertime said:

That's great to know because I know you do actually watch these kids too.

He's 17 theres a long way to go I want every kid to reach their ceiling. I havn't seen what I'd hoped to see when I've watched him  and I've seen more that excites me from some other kids. What ends up 3-4 years from now is anyone's guess. If we take Dvorsky and both Reinbacher and Michkov are off the board I'll be much happier than last year. 

i wish I could watch more of all of them. Ideally being paid! Would make it easier haha. Scouting would be so much fun. 

i understand that completely. Like cristall or Barlow much more exciting to watch. 

He’s also very smart. You can tell he really cares about the little things and he looks very coachable to me. He’s a kind of player that I think if we brought him over to Abby and he had time with the Sedins he could exponentially improve. 

also he has a really great stride but doesn’t seem to be fast. It makes me think with strength training and some skating coaching he could become a much quicker skater suddenly. 

I haven’t watched him enough to be extremely confident in him. But I have seen enough that if we draft him I will be very optimistic on his future.

but Reinbacher man. I want him. I really want him. A top poring of Hughes-Reinbacher to me sounds absolutely perfect in 2-3 years.

and it would really solidify our back end top 4 With 

Hughes, Hronek, Reinbacher 

and either a LHD UFA or one of our many LHD prospects making the top four it’s a d group I could really get behind.

i just don’t think he’s gonna make it to our draft position now. Think he’s gone 6-9.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Agreed. Dvorsky to me is better than Slafkovsky was at the same age, and has produced at a better rate than Slaf at every level thus far. The only difference is Slaf is bigger and played in the Liiga. 

IMO this isn't a great take. 

• Cheers 1

If the hockey gods aren’t feeling gracious enough to grant us Bedard or Fantilli, then please at least let this happen ;)

PS that is one stacked top 16 IMO. A strong case could be made to draft any of those players. Having said that, I’m not super high on Yager. Of the players that might still be there when we pick, I’m really liking Leonard and Barlow. Unfortunately I highly doubt Reinbacher will still be on the board at 11. 

Could contain: Cutlery, Spoon, Page, Text

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

If the hockey gods aren’t feeling gracious enough to grant us Bedard or Fantilli, then please at least let this happen ;)

PS that is one stacked top 16 IMO. A strong case could be made to draft any of those players. Having said that, I’m not super high on Yager. Of the players that might still be there when we pick, I’m really liking Leonard and Barlow. Unfortunately I highly doubt Reinbacher will still be on the board at 11. 

I think there is a good chance he is still there for us. Montreal is the other team that probably has a RHD as their highest priority on draft day. Picking at #5 I doubt they go for Reinbacher that early, too many better forward prospects available. Teams between Montreal and Vancouver should have other positions as their highest priority as well. Montreal also have later picks in the first round. I predict they will go forward at #5 and that it is more likely they'll pick up a D with the #17. They don't have to reach for Reinbacher to end up picking a solid defensive prospect in the first round. 

The wildcard is Detroit now that they ironically traded Hronek to Vancouver. Yzerman isn't afraid to reach but they have a lot of D prospects already. Should still opt to go for a forward. Washington is a maybe as well. I believe they have center ice more prioritized at #8. 

#6 Arizona - Forward 
#7 Philadelphia - Center

#8 Washington - Center

#9 Detroit - Forward

#10 St Louis - Center

Montreal would look like draft day winners if they end up with let's say - Michkov, Carlsson or Smith at #5 and perhaps a Gulyayev at #17. 

Players I'm low on and hoping the Canucks don't pick:
Yager, Sandin-Pelikka, Dvorsky, and Cristall

They all pose a risk in my eyes and to me they all are very raw still and are riskier picks than what I am usually comfortable with. Saying that, I had the same feelings about Pettersson during the 2017 draft and how wrong I was about him being able to translate his skills to the NHL level. 

There should be serious slide potential for Michkov as well given his contract status in the KHL. If he slides past Montreal, I really think there is a high chance he is also available at #11 and then you have to pick him. 

1-5 all of those teams need immediate help, Montreal being the likeliest to wait on Michkov
6-10 likely zeroed in on another prospect they really like and end up passing on Michkov, the Bo Callahan effect ;)

Really long post now, but here is my mock:
1 Anaheim - Bedard

2 Chicago - Fantili

3 Columbus - Carlsson

4 San Jose - Benson

5 Montreal - Michkov

6 Arizona - Smith

7 Philadelphia - Sale

8 Washington - Moore

9 Detroit - Dvorsky

10 St Louis - Leonard

11 Vancouver - 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

NYI pick maybe?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think there is a good chance he is still there for us. Montreal is the other team that probably has a RHD as their highest priority on draft day. Picking at #5 I doubt they go for Reinbacher that early, too many better forward prospects available. Teams between Montreal and Vancouver should have other positions as their highest priority as well. Montreal also have later picks in the first round. I predict they will go forward at #5 and that it is more likely they'll pick up a D with the #17. They don't have to reach for Reinbacher to end up picking a solid defensive prospect in the first round. 

The wildcard is Detroit now that they ironically traded Hronek to Vancouver. Yzerman isn't afraid to reach but they have a lot of D prospects already. Should still opt to go for a forward. Washington is a maybe as well. I believe they have center ice more prioritized at #8. 

#6 Arizona - Forward 
#7 Philadelphia - Center

#8 Washington - Center

#9 Detroit - Forward

#10 St Louis - Center

Montreal would look like draft day winners if they end up with let's say - Michkov, Carlsson or Smith at #5 and perhaps a Gulyayev at #17. 

Players I'm low on and hoping the Canucks don't pick:
Yager, Sandin-Pelikka, Dvorsky, and Cristall

They all pose a risk in my eyes and to me they all are very raw still and are riskier picks than what I am usually comfortable with. Saying that, I had the same feelings about Pettersson during the 2017 draft and how wrong I was about him being able to translate his skills to the NHL level. 

There should be serious slide potential for Michkov as well given his contract status in the KHL. If he slides past Montreal, I really think there is a high chance he is also available at #11 and then you have to pick him. 

1-5 all of those teams need immediate help, Montreal being the likeliest to wait on Michkov
6-10 likely zeroed in on another prospect they really like and end up passing on Michkov, the Bo Callahan effect ;)

Really long post now, but here is my mock:
1 Anaheim - Bedard

2 Chicago - Fantili

3 Columbus - Carlsson

4 San Jose - Benson

5 Montreal - Michkov

6 Arizona - Smith

7 Philadelphia - Sale

8 Washington - Moore

9 Detroit - Dvorsky

10 St Louis - Leonard

11 Vancouver - 

I can’t see a world Michkov slides past Washington.

i do agree montreals draft position could help us have a chance at Reinbacher sliding. We will see. 

id be ecstatic if he makes it to us at 11

• Cheers 3

The u18s are going to help my finalize my opinions on certain players.

When I’ve watched Ryan Leonard this year I’ve seen a cross between JT Miller and Matthew Tkachuk. I love the way he plays. I think Tocchet would be a fan too 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

We'll still get a good pick at 11 unless a miracle happens and we fly up to 1 or 2. I think the organization either picks up a defenceman (Reinbacher, Sandin-Pelikka, Simashev, Dragicevic) or a Center (Moore, Yager, Dvorsky, Danielson) unless a for sure top guy drops down to us.

21 hours ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Agreed. Dvorsky to me is better than Slafkovsky was at the same age, and has produced at a better rate than Slaf at every level thus far. The only difference is Slaf is bigger and played in the Liiga. 

Id say Dvorsky was the better player coming into their draft year but Slafkovsky had a better draft year. Slaf is a very unique player and can see why he was taken so high, there arent many 230-240lbs wingers at the age of 18 with the skating and skill he possess. Dvorsky has been a bit underwhelming this year considering the hype coming into this season, but for a young guy playing so many pro games and international play it could be a bit of fatigue as well. For me the best things about Dvorsky are his IQ, vision, and his work ethic. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Just you watch Yzerman screw us for the second time this season and take Reinbacher at 9th overall to replace Hronek on the right.

11th overall is a really awkward spot, I'm sure Allvin has a lot of European scouts who will be super high on guys like Dvorsky and Sale and obviously ASP. Right now for me my rankings would be (realistically):

1) Reinbacher

2) Moore

3) Dvorsky

4) Leonard/Yager

5) Simashev

6) Gulyayev

I think Simashev and Gulyayev could fall really low, maybe even out of the first, so not worth an 11th overall pick. There are some decent two-way centers around where we're picking who would obviously really help out our prospect pool and combine nicely with Raty when Petey is older and Miller is basically retired. If they pass up on Reinbacher though (expecting Hronek to just fix all our problems...) then we're in trouble going forward.