The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

15 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Cristall seems 1 dimensional to me. I personally have him on my DND along with Yager and Heidt. I would prefer Moore, Wood, Dvorsky, Sale, Danielson and Barlow all ahead of those 3. Yager may be the only one able to play himself off that list. 

Exactly why I hope he has a good tourney and goes in the top 10. You never know with Yzerman 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I thought we have a 0% chance of picking 3rd and only picks 1 and 2 are determined by the lottery?

3 is just whoever gets pushed down or retains the pick right?

Maybe I am mixed up

You are right, there is no lottery for 3rd overall pick this year:

1. Two lotteries will be held, for the first overall pick and the second overall pick.
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I thought we have a 0% chance of picking 3rd and only picks 1 and 2 are determined by the lottery?

3 is just whoever gets pushed down or retains the pick right?

Maybe I am mixed up

Just going off what Tankathon has our draft odds at, 3.0% for first, 3.2% for second and 0.1% (lol) for third overall.

57 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

High end RDs are a rare commodity and have the highest value, so I don't expect Reinbacher or ASP to make it to #12.

It depends. In the 2018 draft, we saw Hughes fall to 7th, Boqvist went 8th, Bouchard 10, and Dobson 12th. The latter three are right-handed. Honestly, you never know...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 4/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

Ohgren has been playing very good of late and showing why he is a first found pick, but many thought the three young 2022 first rounds would light up the Allsvenskan as all three could have likely played in the SHL. Just shows how tough of a league it is, I would assume the quality of Swedish hockey has increased as well with KHL off the table for many.  

But I think the point is this: what would you have thought was the absolute best-case scenario for Ohgren this year? Aside from Berglund's aberration 1.37 p/g one year, the all-time best p/g by a U19 in Allsvenskan were William Karlsson's 0.98 and Elias Pettersson's 0.95. It took Ohgren some time to get going, partly to adapt to the level of play (particularly the physical element), but mostly to work his way up the lineup. By December-January he was on the top line and has operated at roughly a p/g pace since then, including playoffs. I'm more interested in how a player has progressed and what they're doing by the end of the year than what they did at the start of the year.

• Cheers 3

Looking at the final Central rankings. Honzek ahead of Barlow. Interesting.

The top six or seven for North America are pretty straightforward. Zero surprises. Moore falls back down to reality a little bit. I'm betting on draft day he'll fall a little further still as NHL teams will look to those bigger bodies like Honzek and Barlow.

Also zero surprises in the European top four right down to the order. Anyone here could have predicted it.

Axel Sandin-Pellikka falls a ways. Very predictable. Kid was wildly over-hyped just for having a pretty good World Juniors as a U18.

With ASP being slotted where he always should have been mid-to-late teens overall, and with Dragicevic the highest ranked N.A. defenseman at 18th, and the with Russian factor keeping Gulyayev at bay, I'm sorry to say @stawns but it is starting to look like a perfect storm that Reinbacher is going to be drafted very early.

Edited by HighOnHockey

52 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

But I think the point is this: what would you have thought was the absolute best-case scenario for Ohgren this year? Aside from Berglund's aberration 1.37 p/g one year, the all-time best p/g by a U19 in Allsvenskan were William Karlsson's 0.98 and Elias Pettersson's 0.95. It took Ohgren some time to get going, partly to adapt to the level of play (particularly the physical element), but mostly to work his way up the lineup. By December-January he was on the top line and has operated at roughly a p/g pace since then, including playoffs. I'm more interested in how a player has progressed and what they're doing by the end of the year than what they did at the start of the year.

Yeah they had such a bad start, but he did turn it around big time. Looking to be a solid pick at 19. Best case scenario is they get their team promoted to the SHL, would give all three a big confidence boost going into next year I would think. 

42 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Axel Sandin-Pellikka falls a ways. Very predictable. Kid was wildly over-hyped just for having a pretty good World Juniors as a U18.

Im still a little unsure with ASP, he played well for a underage player at the U20, played quite well in the SHL, and scored 16 goals in the U20 league. Could just be having a good year though, havent seen enough of him. I think anyone taking him after 10 wont really be disappointed, as he is still a mobile RD with impressive puck moving ability. He is another guy that having a big u18 tourney can help alleviate some doubts.  

50 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Looking at the final Central rankings. Honzek ahead of Barlow. Interesting.

The top six or seven for North America are pretty straightforward. Zero surprises. Moore falls back down to reality a little bit. I'm betting on draft day he'll fall a little further still as NHL teams will look to those bigger bodies like Honzek and Barlow.

Also zero surprises in the European top four right down to the order. Anyone here could have predicted it.

With ASP being slotted where he always should have been mid-to-late teens overall, and with Dragicevic the highest ranked N.A. defenseman at 18th, and the with Russian factor keeping Gulyayev at bay, I'm sorry to say @stawns but it is starting to look like a perfect storm that Reinbacher is going to be drafted very early.

why's that?  He's ranked 5th for international skaters, which will probably put him somewhere outside of the top 10, which is where I said he'd be.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah they had such a bad start, but he did turn it around big time. Looking to be a solid pick at 19. Best case scenario is they get their team promoted to the SHL, would give all three a big confidence boost going into next year I would think. 

Im still a little unsure with ASP, he played well for a underage player at the U20, played quite well in the SHL, and scored 16 goals in the U20 league. Could just be having a good year though, havent seen enough of him. I think anyone taking him after 10 wont really be disappointed, as he is still a mobile RD with impressive puck moving ability. He is another guy that having a big u18 tourney can help alleviate some doubts.  

I mean, the offensive skills are there. Nothing very dynamic but he plays a mature game and moves the puck well. Good passer and good skater but doesn't have that level of dynamic skating ability to skate the puck out of danger like Gulyayev or Minnetian, I just think a team would end up very disappointed and risk missing out on a much better player if they take him much before about 15.

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

For everyone who was saying it doesn’t matter if we pick at 8 or 11 and that we’ll be able to take Reinbacher, good luck.

My guess is he’ll be long gone when we pick at 12 after falling back one spot. :lol:

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

Ah. You're one of those. Never mind. Carry on.

one of what?  He's ranked #5 for international skaters, that likely puts him out of the top 10 and that's all I've ever argued.......that when the Canucks were sitting 6-7, that was off the board.  I feel like you think this is some gotcha moment

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

For everyone who was saying it doesn’t matter if we pick at 8 or 11 and that we’ll be able to take Reinbacher, good luck.

My guess is he’ll be long gone when we pick at 12 after falling back one spot. :lol:

why's that?  At #5 on the international list, that'll likelt put him as available at the Canucks pick, Moore as well possibly.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

why's that?  At #5 on the international list, that'll likelt put him as available at the Canucks pick, Moore as well possibly.

Nah there will be a team that needs D before us and he’s the highest ranked guy.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nah there will be a team that needs D before us and he’s the highest ranked guy.

certainly possible, but certainly very possible he's there, given the rankings.  I still take Moore over him at #11-12, if he's there

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

certainly possible, but certainly very possible he's there, given the rankings.  I still take Moore over him at #11-12, if he's there

Not seeing anything special with Moore.

Id rather trade down if he’s the best we can do. We need an impact player from this draft.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not seeing anything special with Moore.

Id rather trade down if he’s the best we can do. We need an impact player from this draft.

he's the sleeper in this draft, imo........if #8 for NA skaters can be considered a sleeper.  Elite skater, elite motor, strong compete, big league shot, good defensive game.  He's got a few things to work on, but every player at the spot the Canucks pick will.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

If we remove Matthew Wood and Ryan Leonard and add ASP I would be happy with anybody on the list for our pick.  Players like MW scare me because playing at their size against players still growing gives them an advantage.  Once they start competing against AHL or NHL players that advantage is removed and they aren't the impact players they once were.  Obviously an over generalization and it also can give them a higher NHL floor as a bottom 6 guy, but I would go mostly for skill (With compete) over just average results and size.

so confusing. they say this is a deep draft, yet every time somebody mentioned a player, others put the players down like they are only second round worthy.

even the scouts that know these players the best can't seem to see players the same way. it sounds like this is a poor draft class. why is a good class of draftees if we'll be dissapointed if we get our pick at 11?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1