The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Matthew Wood is listed as a lw/c on elite prospects. Has he played much C in this tournament or during his 1st year of Unniversity or has it primarily been on the wing? Seems like an intriguing prospect, played for Victoria in the BCHL last year and put up respectable stats in the NCAA this year. If we could play C would make him very appealing to me for the Canucks to draft him but if he is a winger...we have a ton of them so would prefer us draft a C or RHD but if management is sold on a guy like Wood then I am all for selecting him if he is available with our pick. Good Canadian kid with some size(unsure if he uses his size) or are we scared of a Virtanen 2.0?

Any input on him would be great just saw Button's scouting report on him and looks impressive from that short sample size

Edstrom just single handedly stuck the dagger in Canada's heart, ends their season, with two beauties, surprised to see him so lowly ranked. 4 points in 11 games in the SHL as well, surely he'll go in the early 2nd round.

Stenberg with a massive game too, these guys going head to head with USA should be interesting.

3 hours ago, Neutral said:

Matthew Wood is listed as a lw/c on elite prospects. Has he played much C in this tournament or during his 1st year of Unniversity or has it primarily been on the wing? Seems like an intriguing prospect, played for Victoria in the BCHL last year and put up respectable stats in the NCAA this year. If we could play C would make him very appealing to me for the Canucks to draft him but if he is a winger...we have a ton of them so would prefer us draft a C or RHD but if management is sold on a guy like Wood then I am all for selecting him if he is available with our pick. Good Canadian kid with some size(unsure if he uses his size) or are we scared of a Virtanen 2.0?

Any input on him would be great just saw Button's scouting report on him and looks impressive from that short sample size

I haven't seen him at the NCAA level except for a shift-by-shift or two, but he's been on the wing full-time at this tournament. Not a player I'm terribly familiar with but he looks like a winger to me.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Edstrom just single handedly stuck the dagger in Canada's heart, ends their season, with two beauties, surprised to see him so lowly ranked. 4 points in 11 games in the SHL as well, surely he'll go in the early 2nd round.

Stenberg with a massive game too, these guys going head to head with USA should be interesting.

Yeah @TheQuietQuitter posted an interview with Grant McCagg from Recrutes the other day and there he said he prefers Edstrom to Stenberg. Said he has Edstrom ranked 18th overall. Also Craig Button mentioned he's been one of the biggest risers late in the season. Probably ends up going first round at this point.

I remember early in the season seeing a couple media scouting sources had Otto Stenberg ranked what at the time seemed absurdly high, like in the 10-15 range. Can't remember who it was but props to them, although it looks like they already all gave up on him as he seems to be pretty consensus ranked in the 20s.

14 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah @TheQuietQuitter posted an interview with Grant McCagg from Recrutes the other day and there he said he prefers Edstrom to Stenberg. Said he has Edstrom ranked 18th overall. Also Craig Button mentioned he's been one of the biggest risers late in the season. Probably ends up going first round at this point.

I remember early in the season seeing a couple media scouting sources had Otto Stenberg ranked what at the time seemed absurdly high, like in the 10-15 range. Can't remember who it was but props to them, although it looks like they already all gave up on him as he seems to be pretty consensus ranked in the 20s.

I bet Allvin's got him ranked top 15 and takes him over Reinbacher. CDC explodes and he becomes the next Petey.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I bet Allvin's got him ranked top 15 and takes him over Reinbacher. CDC explodes and he becomes the next Petey.

You mean Stenberg or Edstrom? Apparently Edstrom is bloody 6'3. He stood out today in a big way. I think that was you saying earlier, these are the games that show you who's really what, and Edstrom looks like something.

13 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

You mean Stenberg or Edstrom? Apparently Edstrom is bloody 6'3. He stood out today in a big way. I think that was you saying earlier, these are the games that show you who's really what, and Edstrom looks like something.

...except size is overpowered in these tournaments. Most of these kids haven't put on all their muscle yet, so those who have those natural advantages tend to show better.

40 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

...except size is overpowered in these tournaments. Most of these kids haven't put on all their muscle yet, so those who have those natural advantages tend to show better.

I always thought that too, but then I realized there is an equal and opposite counter-balance in that if they're this strong and powerful already, especially with a 6'3 or 6'5 frame, that is very likely just going to continue to be an advantage for them into the NHL, particularly once they're 23 or 24.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I always thought that too, but then I realized there is an equal and opposite counter-balance in that if they're this strong and powerful already, especially with a 6'3 or 6'5 frame, that is very likely just going to continue to be an advantage for them into the NHL, particularly once they're 23 or 24.

I hear what you're saying, but smaller guys in the NHL have already learned how to deal with opposing size. Notice how Quinn Hughes, a smaller player, walks around guys in the defensive zone after he wins the puck, they're always behind him. As long as his momentum is in the same direction as the other player he can't be hit, just pushed. It's that type of experience that makes a difference between kids and men. As well, small doesn't always mean "weaker," just look at Kyle Burroughs. There are weaker kids in this tournament, that's just how it goes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not surprised, USA Hockey is turning into a well oiled machine. Canada needs to do better. We need better coaches, and much better development. We really need to focus on goaltending. I know it's an expensive sport. Can't Hockey Canada make deals with equipment manufacturer's buying last years hockey gear and getting more kids into hockey? Or work with developing safe, solid gear with more affordable prices?

the US develops a few high end players, no doubt. 

Below is my list of players that I would personally like to see the Canucks draft:

1)Bedard

2)Fantilli

3)Smith

4)Michkov

5)Carlsson

6)Leonard

7)Reinbacher

8)Dvorsky

9)Benson

10)Moore

11)Danielson

12)ASP

13)Wallinder

14)Sale

15)Barlow

16)Perrault

17)Hoznek

18)Stenberg

19)Simashev

20)Yager

21)Strbak

22)Minnetian

23)Bonk

24)Gulyayev

25)Wood

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Below is my list of players that I would personally like to see the Canucks draft:

1)Bedard

2)Fantilli

3)Smith

4)Michkov

5)Carlsson

6)Leonard

7)Reinbacher

8)Dvorsky

9)Benson

10)Moore

11)Danielson

12)ASP

13)Wallinder

14)Sale

15)Barlow

16)Perrault

17)Hoznek

18)Stenberg

19)Simashev

20)Yager

21)Strbak

22)Minnetian

23)Bonk

24)Gulyayev

25)Wood

I'll drink to that! This is a quality list.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AngryElf said:

I hear what you're saying, but smaller guys in the NHL have already learned how to deal with opposing size. Notice how Quinn Hughes, a smaller player, walks around guys in the defensive zone after he wins the puck, they're always behind him. As long as his momentum is in the same direction as the other player he can't be hit, just pushed. It's that type of experience that makes a difference between kids and men. As well, small doesn't always mean "weaker," just look at Kyle Burroughs. There are weaker kids in this tournament, that's just how it goes.

Lets see how QH fares come play off time. 
He is a fantastic skater and very evasive, but with his size, he needs to have eyes in the back of his head. 
Every year somebody gets nailed. Some legal, some not legal.... 

I hope you are right, cause an average Joe can do a lot of damage to a player like QH.

More chance a player like Myers survive a hit... 

• Like 1

Strbak an absolute beast out there, up there with ASP and Lindstein as tournament's best defenceman, he surely has to go in the first round. These head-to-head tournaments just show how good some of these kids are. 

Meanwhile Dvorsky for me has to go top-15, he's playing pretty much half the game and maintaining great quality. Leonard and Moore are chumps compared to big Dvorsky, the kid is carrying his team on his back.