The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

HOH. If we have a choice between Benson and ASP, which of the two has the higher value (in trade) in a couple years? Don’t D have a lot of trade value? Not that we would trade ASP. 

I don't think there's a massive difference but with Hughes and Hirosi is getting another speedy 5"11 d what we need?  Benson could be a star like Martian St Loui.  I like ASP as well, he was so calm under pressure at the u18.  But if Benson is available you take him. And maybe the Canucks can trade Garland for a 2nd rndr and get Willander.  pipedream I know 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

I don't think there's a massive difference but with Hughes and Hirosi is getting another speedy 5"11 d what we need?  Benson could be a star like Martian St Loui.  I like ASP as well, he was so calm under pressure at the u18.  If He's on is available you take him. And maybe the Canucks can trade Garland for a 2nd rndr and get Willander.  pipedream I know 

Was St. Louis drafted? He sure was a fantastic player. Looks like a heck of a coach too. If Benson is that level then for sure our scouts will take him. 

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

To me high risk/high reward is the compromise. All things being equal I want a player with a high floor who also has the potential for big upside. To me for this draft I'm looking at Dvorsky, Sale, Leonard, Wood. I'm a little hesitant about Barlow or Danielson's upside, but even Stenberg and Yager have some kind of intriguing potential.

By the way, I've noticed people have been going crazy about Perreault since U18s and even McKenzie had him top ten, but am I the only one who'd be nervous as hell about drafting this guy? He just drives you crazy watching him, with the hail mary pass attempts and skating the puck directly into traffic. Wouldn't be my preferred pick at 11.

Dvorsky worries me because he’s safe but I just don’t see the offence. I know he’s young but he just strikes me as a guy that’ll end up being a good 3rd liner. 

lots of good tools, all round good player but I don’t wanna waste the 1st on a guy that is less gifted offensively than some of the other choices. 

agreed on Perrault. 

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I am absolutely not a size queen.

But Wood just screams still improving to me.  UConn numbers against men.  His rapid growth.  His on ice play/vision.  Then his actual size.  I mean it isn't out of the realms of possibility for him to be a 6 foot 5 235 pound player when he hits 28.  Likely?  No, possible?  Absolutely.

WTF would a 6 foot 5 230 pound winger alongside Petey look like?  A 30 year old in his prime Pettersson and a 25 year old Monster in Wood charging down the ice would be just nightmarish to opposing defencemen

I just canna do it Capt’n! I canna do it! 

Draft a D or a Center!  No I canna do it Capt’n!

It’s the Vancouver Canucks Capt’n! 

Just canna resist the wingers Capt’n!

sorry Hippy. 

it’s my best Engineer Scotty, for the star ship Canucks draft…

improv impression.

but you make taking a winger sound so tempting… 

but we need less, and will likely have too many in five years too, with still Hughes sitting around saying, ‘hey guys?’

so IDK.

Leo Karlsson is going to be huge, Mats Sundin Huge, plays Center.  

I know he will be long gone… glad I don’t have the pick to explain in a few years.

I would take the pay, don’t get me wrong… but it’s got that, hit or miss big vibe, which feels weird at 11.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I am absolutely not a size queen.

But Wood just screams still improving to me.  UConn numbers against men.  His rapid growth.  His on ice play/vision.  Then his actual size.  I mean it isn't out of the realms of possibility for him to be a 6 foot 5 235 pound player when he hits 28.  Likely?  No, possible?  Absolutely.

WTF would a 6 foot 5 230 pound winger alongside Petey look like?  A 30 year old in his prime Pettersson and a 25 year old Monster in Wood charging down the ice would be just nightmarish to opposing defencemen

I'm absolutely a size queen. No shame. 

We have Petershine, Huggybear, Kuzzy, Brock Hard, Lekkeryoni at home. Not only are we small but we're soft and slow. We've got every reason to be gazing doe eyed at Wood. The problem here is Wood doesn't have wheels so we're gonna get caught. 

We need a guy with size and wheels to play physical and really push the pace. Someone with the quickness to dart in and out of the dirty areas and get the job done in the crease. 

Maybe it's time to get a Dvorsky.

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I don't think there's a massive difference but with Hughes and Hirosi is getting another speedy 5"11 d what we need?  Benson could be a star like Martian St Loui.  I like ASP as well, he was so calm under pressure at the u18.  But if Benson is available you take him. And maybe the Canucks can trade Garland for a 2nd rndr and get Willander.  pipedream I know 

The way Im looking at it s/ ASP is that if he hits his ceiling, you could move Hughes for an absolute haul towards the end of his contract.

Hate to get all GMy but it would be shrewd move in the longterm.  

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

The way Im looking at it s/ ASP is that if he hits his ceiling, you could move Hughes for an absolute haul towards the end of his contract.

And that’s how to build a Cup winner. Draft guys who push out your most valuable trade chips. Then trade those stars, who have been pushed out, for a friggin’ haul. 

• Like 1

I wonder if JR/PA are looking for Draft players with a bit of grit and/or size. Watching how physical the playoffs are, but gotta say, I loved seeing Tkachuk using Marner's face as a punching bag. It got me thinking what it would be like if that was Pettersson. Petey won't fight back. Can he handle the grueling, violent playoffs? Canucks already have Lekkerimaki, Hoglander, Karlsson - all smallish/slight players. Maybe the Canucks need more high end size in their system, developing. The player could make their way to the big team quicker if they can handle the physical NHL. 

Players like Barlow, Wood, Danielson or Honzek could be interesting picks, although I'd be nervous about it. Unfortunately, I think Dvorsky and Reinbacher will be gone.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if JR/PA are looking for Draft players with a bit of grit and/or size. Watching how physical the playoffs are, but gotta say, I loved seeing Tkachuk using Marner's face as a punching bag. It got me thinking what it would be like if that was Pettersson. Petey won't fight back. Can he handle the grueling, violent playoffs? Canucks already have Lekkerimaki, Hoglander, Karlsson - all smallish/slight players. Maybe the Canucks need more high end size in their system, developing. The player could make their way to the big team quicker if they can handle the physical NHL. 

Players like Barlow, Wood, Danielson or Honzek could be interesting picks, although I'd be nervous about it. Unfortunately, I think Dvorsky and Reinbacher will be gone.

IMHAO we are looking to draft, especially with our top pick, the most elite guy possible. The big tougher guys who bang and crash can be found in other ways. Say hello to you 2023 11OA pick ASP. Elite skill and super high ceiling. That’s our guy if he’s still available. 

8 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I’ve been thinking about that as well. Kind of like when Boston drafted McAvoy and they traded Hamilton to the Flames.

I’ve changed it quite a bit recently but my final choices for 11 are:

Reinbacher, Benson, Dvorsky, Leonard, Wood, ASP, Moore, and Perrault in that order, whoever is available by the 11th pick.

I would be extremely disappointed if we chose Barlow, Danielsson, Honzek, Cristall, Stenberg, or Heidt with the 11th.

A few wild cards I’d be fine with at 11: Yager, Sale, Simashev, or Willander. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Odd. said:

I’ve been thinking about that as well. Kind of like when Boston drafted McAvoy and they traded Hamilton to the Flames.

Reinbacher, Benson, Dvorsky, Leonard, Wood, ASP, Moore, and Perrault in that order, whoever is available by the 11th pick.

I would be extremely disappointed if we chose Barlow, Danielsson, Honzek, Cristall, Stenberg, or Heidt with the 11th.

Yup. Drafting 11 OA in this draft looks pretty good. We are going to get a heck of a good prospect. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that’s how to build a Cup winner. Draft guys who push out your most valuable trade chips. Then trade those stars, who have been pushed out, for a friggin’ haul. 

Yeah I think you need to do it every now and then.  Hughes will be elite for a long time, but at that point he will be 28ish and likely looking for an 8r in his next contract. 

Plus that ASP kid is literally Swedish Hughes, although I think Quinn has more tenacity in his game.  

Interesting to see what ends up happening 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Barlow fits that bill.  I like him a lot too.  He has a nasty swagger to him that this team needs more of for sure

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If Leonard or Dvorsky drop Im interested.  

I dont know why but Im so hesitant about Benson.  Im not apples to apples comparing him to Garland but CG was an elite point producer in junior, high work rate etc.  People speak so highly of ZB so I should really dive into more tape on him and he’s a BC boy.

You know, I have Barlow rated higher than Wood and Moore.  He reminds me of Matthew Tkachuk in the good ways/not the rat ways.  Is a physical/nasty kind of player. Plus he has a 2 way game that he is absolutely committed to and captains his team.  Really good traits.  He’s a guy that if say ARZ of BUF wanted to move up to say grab Wood etc. and the Canucks theoretically had ASP or Barlow still available, Id be stoked.  

Heck if the Canucks were to move back a bit, gain a good asset and draft Wallinder, and lets say Simachev is still available in the 2nd round-lord have mercy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Give me Daniil But over Matthew Wood or Samuel Honzek. A lot of talk about the latter two and whether they could play center. But just screams center to me. Defensive play, distribution, evasiveness. He could be pretty special.

This I really agree with. 

It is a shame. These kids have nothing to do with the war. Being real. 

Michkov is the only player imo who could challenge Bedard for 1st, Simashev is probably the best D this year, But is the best PWF its not close. Gulyayev, Rykov are both top 20 in a normal year. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Michkov is the only Russian to go in the 1st. For a GM with some cajones taking russians this year could pay huge dividends. 

36 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Give me Daniil But over Matthew Wood or Samuel Honzek. A lot of talk about the latter two and whether they could play center. But just screams center to me. Defensive play, distribution, evasiveness. He could be pretty special.

He is listed as playing left wing and like many kids his size he has issues with his skating.

The hockey writers have him as a Tage Thompson lite. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/daniil-but-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/daniil-but-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings/

Could he be transferred to playing centre ?

Maybe.

However when you have honed your skills playing a certain position and played that way for years ? 

I agree with hammer that  Russians will drop and some GM's might get bargains because of this.

Was listening to an article that stated Michkov's team might " blackmail" him to stay in Russia past his contractual obligations. 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Vintage 1