The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

36 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

If the Canucks are absolutely deadset on a C or a RHD then the list is easy. C - Moore, Dvorsky, Danielson. RHD - Reinbacher, ASP, Willander

Yes and quite honestly I don’t expect those players to be there at 19. Take one of them and call it a day. Someone will fall who should have been a top 10 pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Totally get what you're saying but it does scare me a fair bit. My analogy was over the top lol. You're correct it does address multiple problems. If Leonard falls and we trade the pick though I'm done for the year. Same with Moore, Danielson, Sale, and Wood. Imo these guys are too good to mess around with trading back. Cristall and Dragicevic would be absolutely terrible picks at 19 imo.

The following would leave us with Honzek imo. Hmmm, I would still way rather have one of the better players at 11 if it were my choice. It's hard enough to get one solid player in a draft let alone two. I'm not even sold on Willander myself at this point and I guess I'd settle for him at 19 but I wouldn't be overly happy about it.

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Michkov

Smith

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Benson

Leonard

Moore

Wood

Danielson

ASP

Perreault

Sale

Barlow

Yager

Willander

In a move back scenario my targets would be Bonk & Simashev tbh. Both have size & top 4 upside. 

Simashev is big, skates well & defends well. Shows offensive upside at lower levels but even if it doesn't translate to a point producer he should still be a reliable top 4 at evens. 

I think Bonk has good Top 4 two-way upside, and he's RH with some size. It was only his first full year in the OHL & he had 10 goals / 40 points in 60 games. Was often top PP & also played PK. He's probably more raw but he's got the tools to play at both ends. In time I could see him being a riser in a redraft, his upside looks good.

Dragicevic I don't hate but he wouldn't be my target. I think his 5 on 5 upside could be a little limited, like Evan Bouchard type OFD but he'll be more of a skilled QB than just the booming shot. We need a more reliable D.

It's interesting how Cristall has fallen. And I could see Honzek going before 19 tbh, seems like a riser. 

What do you project Leonard as? A legit 1st line wing? Or just the kind of bowling ball top 6 fwd teams kill for in the playoffs? 

• Upvote 1

I don’t mind them trading down as long as they wait until their pick to make the trade. In Hind sight  I should have been more upset about the OEL trade considering Brandt Clarke went 8th. 

at 19 their could be that stay at home defenseman they need to play with Hughes/ Hronek or their 3rd Line center

Honzek 

Stenberg 

Yager 

Heidt

Sawchyn

Willander 

Bonk

Gulyayev ( not stay at home) 

Simashev 

Strbak

Dragicevek

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

In a move back scenario my targets would be Bonk & Simashev tbh. Both have size & top 4 upside. 

Simashev is big, skates well & defends well. Shows offensive upside at lower levels but even if it doesn't translate to a point producer he should still be a reliable top 4 at evens. 

I think Bonk has good Top 4 two-way upside, and he's RH with some size. It was only his first full year in the OHL & he had 10 goals / 40 points in 60 games. Was often top PP & also played PK. He's probably more raw but he's got the tools to play at both ends. In time I could see him being a riser in a redraft, his upside looks good.

Dragicevic I don't hate but he wouldn't be my target. I think his 5 on 5 upside could be a little limited, like Evan Bouchard type OFD but he'll be more of a skilled QB than just the booming shot. We need a more reliable D.

It's interesting how Cristall has fallen. And I could see Honzek going before 19 tbh, seems like a riser. 

What do you project Leonard as? A legit 1st line wing? Or just the kind of bowling ball top 6 fwd teams kill for in the playoffs? 

If Leonard develops the right way, hes a top line pain in the a** winger, but at the least he'll be a top 6 playoff type guy. Meat and potatoes guy. Cristall is a perimeter one dimensional player and it really started showing this year. Honzek is moving up draft boards and could go top 15

Just now, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I don’t mind them trading down as long as they wait until their pick to make the trade. In Hind sight  I should have been more upset about the OEL trade considering Brandt Clarke went 8th. 

at 19 their could be that stay at home defenseman they need to play with Hughes/ Hronek or their 3rd Line center

Honzek 

Stenberg 

Yager 

Heidt

Sawchyn

Willander 

Bonk

Gulyayev ( not stay at home) 

Simashev 

Strbak

Dragicevek

Sawchyn going top 20 would be a reach based on whos available, great late 1st or 2nd round guy. Gulyayev and Dragcevic are on my DND list with Cristall and a few others

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Whenever I watch him he is incredibly gifted and skilled. He will be an elite play driver with a good chance to be a center if they go that way. Top line winger for sure. I almost have him ahead of Smith. He's got playmaking, Goal scoring, and individual puck skill abilities rarely seen. As someone mentioned he's also gritty and has size.

Honzek I agree probably goes earlier due to his tools and ceiling. Sale will be incredible too I think.

I really like Bonk too. Simashev also. Which one would you pick first. Less than 10% chance you get both imo.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Whenever I watch him he is incredibly gifted and skilled. He will be an elite play driver with a good chance to be a center if they go that way. Top line winger for sure. I almost have him ahead of Smith. He's got playmaking, Goal scoring, and individual puck skill abilities rarely seen. As someone mentioned he's also gritty and has size.

Honzek I agree probably goes earlier due to his tools and ceiling. Sale will be incredible too I think.

I really like Bonk too. Simashev also. Which one would you pick first. Less than 10% chance you get both imo.

Setting aside position...im taking Simashev... 6'4, can skate, plays solid defence...tailor made for a pairing with Hronek in 3 years 

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

If Leonard develops the right way, hes a top line pain in the a** winger, but at the least he'll be a top 6 playoff type guy. Meat and potatoes guy. Cristall is a perimeter one dimensional player and it really started showing this year. Honzek is moving up draft boards and could go top 15

If Honzek is moving into the top 15 it means someone like Danielson could easily be at 19. I've seen a lot of people suggesting multiple players are moving into the top 15, and that no one good will be left. But, if new guys are moving into the top 15 it means other high ranking guys are dropping.

I don't like Cristall either, but he likely goes before 19. Add in guys like Gulyayev and Ritchie that could easily go in the teens and suddenly Willander, Danielson, and Yager are all available at 19. I'm very much of the mindset that I don't want to trade 11 before we know who's available there, but if Dvorsky and Reinbacher are gone I don't mind trading down.

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

If Honzek is moving into the top 15 it means someone like Danielson could easily be at 19. I've seen a lot of people suggesting multiple players are moving into the top 15, and that no one good will be left. But, if new guys are moving into the top 15 it means other high ranking guys are dropping.

I don't like Cristall either, but he likely goes before 19. Add in guys like Gulyayev and Ritchie that could easily go in the teens and suddenly Willander, Danielson, and Yager are all available at 19. I'm very much of the mindset that I don't want to trade 11 before we know who's available there, but if Dvorsky and Reinbacher are gone I don't mind trading down.

If scouts have Gulyayev and Cristall above guys like Willander, Danielson, or Yager then those guys need to really re-think thier profession. Cristall is afraid of the center of the ice and Gulyayev is Myers is his own zone but not with the size. 

2 hours ago, Kuzy said:

I see what people are saying, however it’s negligent to think that the player available for us at 11 has a) a much higher ceiling and b) the player available at 19 AND the 1 or 2 2nd round picks don’t have high ceilings.

Truth being, nobody knows. If there’s one thing we’re devoid of, it’s high end prospects in quantity in our farm system. This draft is extremely deep and we have a chance to acquire 2-3 of those instead of 1.

Yeah that's true. When it gets this close I would have to defer to the scouts. It would be a lot easier if we just kept some of our own seconds for a change. Best of both worlds. I would hope our scouts are good enough to see which players are better at 11 than they would be at 19 though. We'll see what happens. Maybe they let the potato pick. :P

I've also heard the top 12 or so picks are ahead of the curve as in a strong draft class, where as the 16th or so on drop down to normal levels. I think that graph was posted here or in the thread in Canucks talk.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

If scouts have Gulyayev and Cristall above guys like Willander, Danielson, or Yager then those guys need to really re-think thier profession. Cristall is afraid of the center of the ice and Gulyayev is Myers is his own zone but not with the size. 

I personally think Cristall is going to be a bust. He reminds me of small guys like Schroeder that couldn't make it at the next level but is even worse defensively. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's been consistently ranked in the top 10 all year.

Likewise, Gulyayev could easily have the best offensive skill set of all the defensemen in the draft. Whether or not he's a tire fire in his own end, we see high offensive potential defensemen go high in the draft regularly. 

• Upvote 1

I don't have a problem with trading down if we're targeting defensemen. Picking Dmen at 19 and 44, for example, would go a long way in stocking our cupboards.
But I would prefer to stick and pick a center like Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, or Wood (assuming they translate to the position). 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Nave said:

I don't have a problem with trading down if we're targeting defensemen. Picking Dmen at 19 and 44, for example, would go a long way in stocking our cupboards.
But I would prefer to stick and pick a center like Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, or Wood (assuming they translate to the position). 

Take a look at Danielson.  I think it’s possible he is available at #19 (if the Canucks pass/can’t take Wallinder for example).  I like a lot of the traits he has.

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Take a look at Danielson.  I think it’s possible he is available at #19 (if the Canucks pass/can’t take Wallinder for example).  I like a lot of the traits he has.

I'd be very happy if he was there at 19 and we had the pick. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Sounds like Detroit would be interested at 17 but who knows 

Yeah I heard that too. Yzerman watched him play and allegedly wanted the Islanders' pick for him. 
That's why I assumed he wouldn't be there in my initial post.