The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

44 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It would be pretty insane if they did. Fantilli and Carlsson are in a class do their own imo. 

Okay so let's leave Bedard at 1 and assume that Michkov drops due to all the external circumstances. 

Which players do you think is capable of displacing either Carlsson or Fantilli from 2 and 3? 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Okay so let's leave Bedard at 1 and assume that Michkov drops due to all the external circumstances. 

Which players do you think is capable of displacing either Carlsson or Fantilli from 2 and 3? 

None. Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson. That’s a lock for the top three. Then guys will start going all over the place. It’s why 11 is a great spot. We will have our pick of several fantastic prospects. 

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If we had a pick where we could draft Nadeau I'd do it knowing we could get his undersized brother in a later round like the 4th.

But we don't and it's not worth the risk trading back.

Some players are money with specific people and the Nadeau brothers are that type of player.  Whether it would translate in to a pro game or not is debatable but if you HAD that kind of draft capital like an early second and supplementary later round picks knowing you could pick up the older brother; it's a risk a team could take

I really believe that some players have " chemistry" with others. 

These kids are brothers, practising and playing together nearly all their lives. 

I totally agree with you.

Couple guys of interest I have been catching up on while digging for late round treasure.  

Julius Sumph. Has had a very good year playing against men in AlpsHL he has a decent frame 6'1 175. Re watched a few of Germany's u18 games he stood out to me as a guy who may be below the radar. Hopefully he plays in the DEL next year. There may be something there worth considering with a late rounder.  

I was quite interested in Slovakia this year from the onset of the u18 as Pekarcik and Dvorsky were 2 players I was very interested in. However beyond that Cedzo, and Dej really caught my attention. There were others too Masnica, Jencko, Cisar but if I had to pick. Cedzo and Dej stood out to me as guys who NHL teams probably took notice on and I'd be very surprised to see them go un drafted.  

Ian Scherzer this kid is 17 July B day he's played in 2 u20 WJC's for Austria and was a standout each time. Not sure what the issue has been with Rogle BK J20 but he's looked quite good when I've seen him. Definitely an element of chippyness to his game which I always like. Not much out there for highlights but this shot got me out of my seat. Pretty spicy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Ducks would be insane not to pick one of those two. CBJ will get the one the ducks don’t pick. Two centres who will definitely be top six guys. 
Ducks with Fantilli and McTavish as their 1-2 Centers will be very good. 
I’m hoping Benson falls to us. Then IMHAO we will get a great centre too. I see Benson as a guy who will play centre and be good enough to push Miller to wing. We just might get the steal of this draft if we get that kid. 

Benson is going to fall small wingers always do. Does he play a little bit of center? His size teams might find he’s destined to be a winger at the next level and label him as one. Kids got a ton of skill if there’s an off chance he could stick as a Center or be one at the next level he could be a steal at 11.

• Like 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Benson is going to fall small wingers always do. Does he play a little bit of center? His size teams might find he’s destined to be a winger at the next level and label him as one. Kids got a ton of skill if there’s an off chance he could stick as a Center or be one at the next level he could be a steal at 11.

Point is about the same size.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed Benson drops to us. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Honestly I would say none. I can’t see a world where either of those 2 aren’t taken 2nd and 3rd. Yes Will Smith is excellent and is fantastic prospect. I just can’t justify him going ahead of the others. He’s the best of the rest. Certainly better than the next crop. 4 has the easiest decision in the draft. 

Anyone watch the Seattle/Petes game earlier? I don't see NHL in any of those kids, but that's me seeing any of them except Milic play 1 game this season. I sure hope the Canucks don't trade that #11 unless they move up to 3-6.

Edited by johngould21

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Some teams have Will Smith at 3. He made a big impression at the U18's 

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

I am quite curious how things have gone with JP Barry and Alvin. I am not quite sure what "cycle" we are in? If negotiations have gone poorly with Pete or something like that I could completely understand taking Benson and Lekkerimaki back to back. It would indicate to me that we are in a stealth rebuild. 

If we can't sign Pettersson and he wants to win, which team that is a real contender will have the 10 mill maybe 11+ he might be demanding ?

8 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The only one I wonder about is Dvorsky.  Is 11 too high to pick for a guy who caps out as a 2nd line centre if everything goes perfectly.  Wood has power forward top line written all over him (a poor man's Tkachuk?) and Barlow has that as well. (Envision Jamie Benn), or Moore (Dylan Larkin) When I look at Dvorsky's production in the Allsvenskin all I can think of is he's no Elias Pettersson, that's for sure.  But he's big and strong and the Canucks would love him as their 3rd line centre with 2nd centre aspirations.  Just not at 11, when you could get a 1st line bonafide star.   I think recency bias has come into play with Dvorsky.  Is U18's were pretty great.  

This is just one report however I have read a couple of others that state the same thing 

https://thehockeywriters.com/dalibor-dvorsky-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

" Dvorsky looks to me like a player who could comfortably slot in as a second line centre in the NHL, with the potential to play on the top line if he shows more offense in the NHL than he has to this point " 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2023/05/15/dalibor-dvorsky-scouting-report-2023-nhl-draft/

This report also states he has first line potential.

Remember this kid is not even 18 yet and has spent part of 2 seasons in men's/ pro league.

As I have already stated apparently he is a coaches dream and works his butt off to the point they have to drag him off the ice. 

This article discusses this

https://theathletic.com/4439195/2023/04/23/2023-nhl-draft-prospect-dalibor-dvorsky/

I am not stating we should take him, in fact I believe he will be gone. 

From my view point which is just a hockey fan that has done a lot of research on him is that his base is second line centre that has the potential to be a top line centre.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

This is just one report however I have read a couple of others that state the same thing 

" Dvorsky looks to me like a player who could comfortably slot in as a second line centre in the NHL, with the potential to play on the top line if he shows more offense in the NHL than he has to this point " 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2023/05/15/dalibor-dvorsky-scouting-report-2023-nhl-draft/

Remember this kid is not even 18 yet and has spent part of 2 seasons in men's/ pro league.

As I have already stated apparently he is a coaches dream and works his butt off to the point they have to drag him off the ice. 

https://theathletic.com/4439195/2023/04/23/2023-nhl-draft-prospect-dalibor-dvorsky/

From my view point which is just a hockey fan that has done a lot of research on him is that his base is second line centre that has the potential to be a top line centre.

Yeah kid is a beast. Still on the fence between Dvorsky and Smith, but I had Sillinger I think it was 5th and Svechkov 8th in 2021, I defended Wright for first overall almost right until the draft last year, I was high on Barrett Hayton his draft year; liked the pick for Arizona. A person might not have know it from my rankings last year, but when there are high-IQ two-way centers with projectable frames available, they tend to rank pretty early on my list.

Smith almost certainly has the higher offensive upside, but Dvorsky seems like the kind of center you win with in the playoffs, whether it's first or second line. I'm not as much of a sucker for big centers per se (had McTavish 9 or 10, Gauthier 13 or 14), but in addition to being a defensive stalwart, Dvorsky also happens to be a manchild at already 6'1 and 200+ lbs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

38 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I'm not saying he's not going to be an NHLr he's a very safe pick I just don't see the upside. Like a Marco Kasper drafted #8th last year a hard working heavy grinder and a lock to be a bottom 6 minimum. But to be a 1st line centre for me I'd need to see more offence in the Allsvenskin.  If they were SHL points then that would be different.  If I have the 11th pick in this draft I want to see clear 1st line potential.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I'm not saying he's not going to be an NHLr he's a very safe pick I just don't see the upside. Like a Marco Kasper drafted #8th last year a hard working heavy grinder and a lock to be a bottom 6 minimum. But to be a 1st line centre for me I'd need to see more offence in the Allsvenskin.  If they were SHL points then that would be different.  If I have the 11th pick in this draft I want to see clear 1st line potential.  

Comparing him to Petey, Dalibor is a June birthday, Petey is a November birthday. 

Petey wasn't even playing in the Allsvenkan at Dalibors age and at a comparable age Petey put up 9 points in 24 games. 

You, like we all do have our opinions however all the scouting reports including those I have posted state his base is a second line with the potential to be a first.

Time will tell.

Like I stated I believe he will be gone before our pick.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah kid is a beast. Still on the fence between Dvorsky and Smith, but I had Sillinger I think it was 5th and Svechkov 8th in 2021, I defended Wright for first overall almost right until the draft last year, I was high on Barrett Hayton his draft year; liked the pick for Arizona. A person might not have know it from my rankings last year, but when there are high-IQ two-way centers with projectable frames available, they tend to rank pretty early on my list.

Smith almost certainly has the higher offensive upside, but Dvorsky seems like the kind of center you win with in the playoffs, whether it's first or second line. I'm not as much of a sucker for big centers per se (had McTavish 9 or 10, Gauthier 13 or 14), but in addition to being a defensive stalwart, Dvorsky also happens to be a manchild at already 6'1 and 200+ lbs.

Yes after Recrutes input, where he has ended up ranked 5th, it made me really delve into him a lot deeper. 

Watched a lot of video of him and as those scouting reports state, the consensus is base is a second line match up centre. 

I also like how most of them rate him as a low risk to reach his base.

Flashier players in the draft have a " potential" higher upside however a bigger risk of achieving that.

Just out of interest seeing as you have brought up previous drafts, who do you think has the highest offensive upside between Wright and Cooley ?

4 hours ago, stawns said:

watching arrested development GIF

You think Raty and Karlsson are good skaters? Please enlighten me. 

You suggest Wood has bad skating yet every single scout suggests his skating isn't a weak point. Obviously he needs to refine his skating, but what youre suggesting is that he's some bum that cant skate. 

Perhaps if you give your reasons as to why you think hes a bad skater rather than responding to me with these one liners and stupid GIFS, id perhaps take your opinions more seriously around here.