The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

9 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Wood has zero agility. Zero.

He’s got other great attributes but his skating/agility is a massive hurdle to overcome.  

Imagine if Boeser had to cover a ton more ice. 

Plus scouts say he doesnt compete all the time. 

Players like that you have to really sure about.  Im not against the Canucks picking him, but he’s definitely someone you need to know inside and out.  

But if he pans out…

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’ve watched him play a lot. I think he moves better than some internet / public scouts written reports say. 

for a player his height and age his skating isn’t horrible and it looks like it can and should improve over the next couple years.

i don’t buy the compete ? Either. he’s a very competitive kid. And wins a lot of puck battles without even being overly physical. Which is something that he could grow into with time too  

But ya he does  have  big boom potential 

I'd agree with angry goose. His skating is a big concern, top end speed isnt bad when he gets going but when the pick moves quickly he isn't going to be moving with it. 

Great offensive tools & intelligence though. I think Boeser is actually a decent comparable. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

4 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Willander. Team WILLANDER baby

Either or... Maybe Wilander can start after another year, but if it takes two, I'd say both are in play. Rainbacher as well if he is around, but I almost certain they'll go after D now. 

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I liked ASPs defending at the U18's & when I watched him at the beginning of the year in the Hlinka. It's not Willander/Simashev but for an OFD I didn't think he was a liability like sometimes is the stereotype. But I agree he'll need more time.

I do kinda wonder if he'll be a Liljegren type in the NHL. His skating is fantastic but idk if he has elite offensive tools. He could run your PP but idk if he'll be an offensive dynamo. Someone on HF called him a 'possession defenseman' and I'd agree with that in my viewings. 2nd pair guy that defends well enough but can really skate & move the puck. But maybe Im underselling him.

Fabbro isn't that good imo. He was Nashville's 5th Dman. If we are moving back I'd rather ship out Garlands salary straight up & add a 2nd.

Unless we throw Poolman in to even out Fabbro's money (whom they can then LTIR), but idk if they'd go for it.

I think his defending was mostly effort + skating ability but it wasn’t sound suppressive D it was kind of A scramble . If that makes sense

ya I think he’s going to need time to learn how to defend better especially when dealing with NHL forwards on the forecheck / boards / around the crease etc 

agree about fabbro

36 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Either or... Maybe Wilander can start after another year, but if it takes two, I'd say both are in play. Rainbacher as well if he is around, but I almost certain they'll go after D now. 

Id be very happy w 1 of Reinbacher/Will/Simashev.

I think all three will be NHL d men.

Reinbacher I see going before Willander, and w Will going to Boston U-I just love the development path he is on vs Simashev.

Willander doesnt seem like a super sexy pick but I love the way he moves/plays off the cycle.  Just a great all around game. 

Edited by Angry Goose
Boston U not College - kudos R3al
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd agree with angry goose. His skating is a big concern, top end speed isnt bad when he gets going but when the pick moves quickly he isn't going to be moving with it. 

Great offensive tools & intelligence though. I think Boeser is actually a decent comparable. 

Boeser didn’t have the frame of Wood.

Wood is 3” taller.

guys like But and Simashev are kinda unicorns to be 6 4/6 5 and be the kind of skaters they are. 

I see a kid that can improve his skating and I like his skating more than some other first round forwards in this draft. I’m sure teams have their skating coaches analyzing his stride   And mechanics and determining if they think it will be a problem or not. 

Just now, Angry Goose said:

Reinbacher I see going before Willander, and w Will going to Boston College-I just love the development path he is on vs Simashev.

Willander doesnt seem like a super sexy pick but I love the way he moves/plays off the cycle.  Just a great all around game. 

Boston University^ 

the rivalry will be vs Boston college 

but ya love the path. If it goes really well I wonder if it will become more popular for Swedish players hurting their program there with the SHL

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

U don say that 

Scared Asustad GIF

i think this group is patient with prospects. 

stay positive!! See what they do at the draft and this off-season moves.

I'm in a funk there's not much hope. The cap will rise for the rest of the league for us it just offsets our buyout. I don't think this core has a chance. Time to start over. 

Lets swing for the fences and try to draft our next star. I think I'd go Perreault. 

I want to believe because I'm a canuck's fan that we can stay the course and we're on the right path just have faith. I was sold on patience and I can see now they were selling shower curtain rings.

john candy ok GIF

I will enjoy this season as it will be our last chance at glory for a long time to come.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Benson gives me the feeling of the highest boom/bust rating of players in our pick range.  I've been very vocal about needing to hit on picks for a while to replenish or at least stock any level of prospect depth.  We need, IMO only; to be hitting on safe picks not hoping for the best on a haymaker of a pick

Benson and Garland are not similar players at all.

• There it is 1

33 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Reinbacher I see going before Willander, and w Will going to Boston U-I just love the development path he is on vs Simashev.

I think, he could be an excellent ying to QHs yang...

And I think Simashev has potential to be a monster, if it true, what folks are saying about him... 

We hear so much about offense from the backend, but if they can't defend, it doesn't really matter at all. Rathbone is a perfect example of that...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, hammertime said:

Because?

Benson is a play driver through all three zones and is exceptionally good without the puck. He’s a much faster skater in a straight line. He’s a projectable elite nhl centre. Garland is nothing unless he has the puck in the o zone. Completely different players. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benson is a play driver through all three zones and is exceptionally good without the puck. He’s a much faster skater in a straight line. He’s a projectable elite nhl centre. Garland is nothing unless he has the puck in the o zone. Completely different players. 

There is so much wrong with this. Benson took zero fo's in the playoffs he is not a C. And your view of Garland is so incredibly ill founded there is no point arguing.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, hammertime said:

There is so much wrong with this. Benson took zero fo's in the playoffs he is not a C. And your view of Garland is so incredibly ill founded there is no point arguing.  

Bendon is a “projectable” nhl centre. His vision, and understanding of the 200 foot game are elite. He contributes all the time he’s on the ice. Garland is slow in a straight line. He’s only good if he has the puck on his stick on the o zone. He contributes only 5% of his on ice time. The two players are not at all similar. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I’ve discussed the comparison of Garland to Benson with @hammertime he would agree with you.

I’m not going to talk about +/- so don’t ya worry.

and I understand how good Bensons teams was I’ve used it as a cross comp for Danielson. As I do believe if you swapped them danielsons production would of been much greater.

But he was the best player as a draft eligible on a stacked team. Not just the player who produced the most.

And they were also in different leagues at far different times.

so stats wise I don’t really care they both produced like monsters.

Garland plays a little differently then Benson though. But I can see the comparison lines drawn. I still think garlands measurements are shocking I do not believe he’s taller than 5 9 he looks 5 8ish at most. And the league even makes comments about it. Benson is a little taller and I do think he will add more weight to his frame than garland has ever. Since garland is so so light. 

i also think garland is near what Bensons floor is. I think bensons floor would be positive impact at evens and a solid pker. But the upside is top line winger. 

i can’t remember if Garland was an effective pker in his draft year though was he?  But Benson is. And being a defensive forward in 2023 in the WHL vs garlands draft year in the Q is much more impressive to me.

sometimes undersized guys hit there ceiling sometimes they don’t. Garland didn’t. Benson could. 

im not sounding the horn to pick him. I have my reservations. But I won’t be upset if we do take him.

- Dvorsky

- Willander

- Reinbacher

- Simashev

- Danielson

- Wood

- Benson

are the guys I’d be happiest about taking with our pick.

players who worry me the most are:

- barlow

- sale

i could imagine Alvin saying his name so quickly at the podium with his accent and CDC erupting. Even if he hits and ends up being the BPA the reaction would be nuts.

In all fairness, Garland was a 5th round pick, so he's not a good comparison to Benson.  I would say that Conor

blew his ceiling away in his 1st season with the Nucks.  If it weren't for all the chaos in the last season, he

very well could have had similar pts. His value would be much higher; although I do think many Nuck

fans undervalue him (he is not a camp dump imo).

As for Benson, I hear great things about him, but I'd rather they went with another player.  If he slips

down to the 11oa, I hope they consider checking with AZ, Buff, etc and see if they can make a trade;

Seeing as Benson is often listed as 6oa in the mockups, I would think PA make the trade; receiving

a 12-14pic + 2nd for the 11oa +  3rd.  They probably would end up with one of the players they

want, along with an early 2nd rounder.  Nucks might miss out on a great player,

but if they likely end up with top 6 C or top 4RD along with a prospect with loads of upside in the

2nd round.

• Cheers 1

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith and Leonard gone. Probably Michkov too, but I don't want him.

My Top 5 Wants:

1. Benson

2. Dvorsky

3. Danielson

4. Willander

5. Barlow

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

In all fairness, Garland was a 5th round pick, so he's not a good comparison to Benson.  I would say that Conor

blew his ceiling away in his 1st season with the Nucks.  If it weren't for all the chaos in the last season, he

very well could have had similar pts. His value would be much higher; although I do think many Nuck

fans undervalue him (he is not a camp dump imo).

As for Benson, I hear great things about him, but I'd rather they went with another player.  If he slips

down to the 11oa, I hope they consider checking with AZ, Buff, etc and see if they can make a trade;

Seeing as Benson is often listed as 6oa in the mockups, I would think PA make the trade; receiving

a 12-14pic + 2nd for the 11oa +  3rd.  They probably would end up with one of the players they

want, along with an early 2nd rounder.  Nucks might miss out on a great player,

but if they likely end up with top 6 C or top 4RD along with a prospect with loads of upside in the

2nd round.

Well if we talking complete fairness I’m fairly sure Garland wasn’t drafted his draft year. And was the following season. 

And if you read what I wrote or previously about them I don’t think they are great comparisons. I do understand the connecting lines that have been drawn and discussed previously here though.

i do think Benson is a higher end prospect though for sure. And I’m not the one pushing the comparisons but they actually do have some similarities. So it wouldn’t be fair to not acknowledge those.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s not really a projectable C though. He even says himself he’s more comfortable on the wing and is projecting his career on the wing. 

Who knows maybe it changes but based of his faceoffs in Jr him taking draws in the NHL seems very unlikely.

i do think he is a very responsible

wimger though that often covers C ice D zone responsibilities down low and he could be a very impactful forward in the D zone at evens from the wing. 

but projecting him as an Elite C is tough when he doesn’t identify to be a C and his draws are dreadful and he is on the smaller side

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1