ASP / Danielson

Willander / Wood

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Maybe Honzek 

but curious to see where wallinder and bensonnn are on it 

Honzek & Willander will be moving up imo

17 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Any word when his comes out? I feel he gets the widest insight on what teams are thinking and usually ends up the closest 

Thursday

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

for the “I wouldn’t take Benson at 11” crowd

Sure doesn't look like Benson will drop. If anyone it could be Michkov, but I wouldn't expect him to get past Washington (#8). 

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah it was the pass right in front of his stick I was referring to.

Can’t really fault him there, as he was expecting Sjoholm to wring the puck around to him along the boards. He didn’t expect Sjoholm to get his jockstrap stripped so easily. By then it was already too late to cover up for his mistake.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers HoH... you are likely right, unfortunately, cause personally I'm desperate for us to draft a big, mean ( will learn in the NHL), nasty smooth skating stay at home Dman. 
I know, you normally draft them in the lower round, but we haven't exactly showered outselves in glory with our drafting past... a bit like power forwards. Big, Smooth skating players, that can lay the body. Supposed to be drafted in the lower rounds, but some how never by us...

Yeah I get it. I have Gulyayev, But, Simashev all ranked in my top 15, based just on hockey. But I would be really worried if the Canucks took any of them at 11. For the kind of player you're talking about, Jakub Dvorak is a very interesting option. Probably 11 would be too early for him, although I do think his injury hurt his public rankings and he'll go earlier than expected. I'm not exactly "team trade down" but if they did, I think Dvorak could be an option anywhere from 25-50. His skating is certainly not on the level of Simashev, but still very good for a 6'5 defenseman, and while he plays a pretty physical game, he doesn't have Simashev's mean streak. That said, I find his vision/playmaking/all-around IQ very intriguing. If they did trade back, could even maybe take Simashev early 20s and Dvorak in the 2nd.

Dylan MacKinnon and Quinton Burns would be a couple other defensemen who fit the mould in later rounds. Not as big as Simashev or Dvorak, but good physical defenders who can skate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I get it. I have Gulyayev, But, Simashev all ranked in my top 15, based just on hockey. But I would be really worried if the Canucks took any of them at 11. For the kind of player you're talking about, Jakub Dvorak is a very interesting option. Probably 11 would be too early for him, although I do think his injury hurt his public rankings and he'll go earlier than expected. I'm not exactly "team trade down" but if they did, I think Dvorak could be an option anywhere from 25-50. His skating is certainly not on the level of Simashev, but still very good for a 6'5 defenseman, and while he plays a pretty physical game, he doesn't have Simashev's mean streak. That said, I find his vision/playmaking/all-around IQ very intriguing. If they did trade back, could even maybe take Simashev early 20s and Dvorak in the 2nd.

Dylan MacKinnon and Quinton Burns would be a couple other defensemen who fit the mould in later rounds. Not as big as Simashev or Dvorak, but good physical defenders who can skate.

Its exactly, what I am after. 

When we started to look at prospects, I think it was @hammertimethat suggested we go D  and stick to our guns, and while I've been all the way around, in which prospects/ type we should go for, I always end up on the same boat. We really need to get good Ds coming through the system. 
Maybe not for tomorrow or the day after, but it would be fantastic if D-Petey and Maybe an additional D could come in on ELCs, when OELS penalty hits $4.7M, in order to stay conpetitive...

We also need Cs and tough to play against winger, but we've just seen, what a likely middle (3-4) dman costs. 
Unless they are 100% sure on forward w size will make it, i want big rugged Dmen, that can actually defend, as we just haven't had that in ages... Guddy (cost us McCann+) was a pylon and Myers is not a defensive star neither. 
Just don't know, how we get them unless ww draft them. 

49 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its exactly, what I am after. 

When we started to look at prospects, I think it was @hammertimethat suggested we go D  and stick to our guns, and while I've been all the way around, in which prospects/ type we should go for, I always end up on the same boat. We really need to get good Ds coming through the system. 
Maybe not for tomorrow or the day after, but it would be fantastic if D-Petey and Maybe an additional D could come in on ELCs, when OELS penalty hits $4.7M, in order to stay conpetitive...

We also need Cs and tough to play against winger, but we've just seen, what a likely middle (3-4) dman costs. 
Unless they are 100% sure on forward w size will make it, i want big rugged Dmen, that can actually defend, as we just haven't had that in ages... Guddy (cost us McCann+) was a pylon and Myers is not a defensive star neither. 
Just don't know, how we get them unless ww draft them. 

I wonder if this is the draft to target a D, though?

I would be happy with Reinbacher, Willander or Simashev (crossing my fingers the player works out), but there are a lot of good forwards too, and the Canucks do need a C. I may take a chance on Danielson and if he's gone, go with the best D available.

Seeing as there are so many good forwards, maybe one of the Cs slips through the cracks to pick #75?  Canucks can still possibly get a pretty decent C there (Sawchyn, Whitelaw, Rehkopf). 

• Cheers 1

i think it's interesting about the team needs and the players they took out to dinner.

need a good d... willander;

need a play driving 3c...danielson,

need 2 tougher wingers for the top 2 lines...wood and barlow,

need elite skill...benson.

• Cheers 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think it's interesting about the team needs and the players they took out to dinner.

need a good d... willander;

need a play driving 3c...danielson,

need 2 tougher wingers for the top 2 lines...wood and barlow,

need elite skill...benson.

Yes, looks like they certainly have their favourites, players that could be in their range. If Benson is gone, it's a really tough decision. 

30 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if this is the draft to target a D, though?

I would be happy with Reinbacher, Willander or Simashev (crossing my fingers the player works out), but there are a lot of good forwards too, and the Canucks do need a C. I may take a chance on Danielson and if he's gone, go with the best D available.

Seeing as there are so many good forwards, maybe one of the Cs slips through the cracks to pick #75?  Canucks can still possibly get a pretty decent C there (Sawchyn, Whitelaw, Rehkopf). 

Yes, I don't know, if its the right draft to go after D, but if not now, then when?

I wanted them to go after Bicshel or Pikkering last year, and I just have the feeling that every single draft, we complain about the same thing, but we are not prepared to pay the piper. 
Its very likely, that there will be a forward avaiable, that will be a sexier pick, but reality is we likely don't really know for sure until 3-6 years from now. 
There are some potentially good D men further down draft, but lets be honest, if we want a real D prospect we need to go for jom earlier in the draft. 
Anyway it just my take on it... If we don't start now, then when???

PS its the same with big rugged foreards that can potentially play anywhete in the top 9. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes, I don't know, if its the right draft to go after D, but if not now, then when?

I wanted them to go after Bicshel or Pikkering last year, and I just have the feeling that every single draft, we complain about the same thing, but we are not prepared to pay the piper. 
Its very likely, that there will be a forward avaiable, that will be a sexier pick, but reality is we likely don't really know for sure until 3-6 years from now. 
There are some potentially good D men further down draft, but lets be honest, if we want a real D prospect we need to go for jom earlier in the draft. 
Anyway it just my take on it... If we don't start now, then when???

PS its the same with big rugged foreards that can potentially play anywhete in the top 9. 

So true, the flashy forwards are always the more exciting picks, but it's so difficult to try and acquire a Top 4D in a trade, so expensive. 

I do like some of the D developing: Hirose, Woo, Johansson, Pettersson, Jurmo, but none of those guys are top pairing, maybe not even Top 4 in the NHL. Time will tell. 

Willander

Reinbacher

Simashev

I suppose I wouldn't mind any one of them developing for the Canucks. They'd automatically be the best developing D they have, by far. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

So true, the flashy forwards are always the more exciting picks, but it's so difficult to try and acquire a Top 4D in a trade, so expensive. 

I do like some of the D developing: Hirose, Woo, Johansson, Pettersson, Jurmo, but none of those guys are top pairing, maybe not even Top 4 in the NHL. Time will tell. 

Willander

Reinbacher

Simashev

I suppose I wouldn't mind any one of them developing for the Canucks. They'd automatically be the best developing D they have, by far. 

That is basically it. 
We have a few D marinating and maybe we get lucky with one or two of them, but its far from a certainty they'll be any more than bottom pairing Ds or QHs guard dog. 
Hope more make it, but defo not sure about it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If I'm not mistaken that's 16yo Coster Dunn from the Thunderbirds who comes in at 6' 160lbs while Sotheran is 6'3" almost 200lbs.

I'm not saying Sotheran isn't a 'gamer', but I would be wondering why Faber is using this bout to prop up Sotheran's pugilistic abilities considering it's a total mis-match? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Yzerman at 9 will be taking the faller of BPA at forward. I’m confident we will be drafting Willander if there isn’t some sort of agreement with Michkov. 

Simishev could be a wildcard and to me Willander and Simishev are interchangeable and both a need. 

We need players who can defend and play defence. 

3 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Yzerman at 9 will be taking the faller of BPA at forward. I’m confident we will be drafting Willander if there isn’t some sort of agreement with Michkov. 

Simishev could be a wildcard and to me Willander and Simishev are interchangeable and both a need. 

We need players who can defend and play defence. 

IF there's any targeted landing spot for Michkov it would be Washington no? Be funny if a GM before was jus like F this kid and his stupid plan we are taking him.

• Haha 1