The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Hammer time…

that’s for PTSD…

not the Canucks Drafting….

Oh, wait….

Keep writing, and don’t let up until you can stop hearing the footsteps of past drafts…

The anxiety and or reason to doubt is ridiculously valid, especially when this team drafts a defence and with the first over all pick..,

Go knock on wood three times…

Now I am anxious and oh, shit….

How long until we hear this on the CDC….

’He hasn’t signed yet, he’s is going to take the college opt out path and sign somewhere not here….!’

I hope we never do, but it’s the CDC..,

I think this kid is legit and after the 3 rd, I have zero idea what they were thinking, thus Tootsie’s is my theory…

it’s at least funny as f#$k

I dunno about Tootsie but to me it looks like Todd Harvey feels confident they stuck to their plan and got the players they wanted. He looks thrilled as a pig in poopie 

I sure hope that smile on his face means he knows a whole bunch most people don't. They have done quite well in terms of scouting the semi pro ranks. With Hirose, Bains, Mcward, Johansen, Juulson, Raty, Aman, Kravtsov?

I think they have earned some benefit of the doubt on Muller/Perkins

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

I dunno about Tootsie but to me it looks like Todd Harvey feels confident they stuck to their plan and got the players they wanted. He looks thrilled as a pig in poopie 

I sure hope that smile on his face means he knows a whole bunch most people don't. They have done quite well in terms of scouting the semi pro ranks. With Hirose, Bains, Mcward, Johansen, Juulson, Raty, Aman, Kravtsov?

He does look like the cat that got the milk, or a teenager who had a first :wub:  
If its a winning number, time will tell, but he looks very plaesed indeed. 

And they've earned the benifit of doubt. Been fairly impressed with, how they've gone about their business up until now. 

On 7/2/2023 at 12:29 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd like to think we end up drafting 20+ next year but we'll see. As for the future, it is a bit exciting, who knows which prospects will pan out or not. Johansson in the AHL could really be an NHL guy sooner rather than later too. I think in 2-3 years, we'll see a team like this:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Kuzmenko - Miller - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Raty - Garland

Joshua - Aman - ?

Hughes - Willander

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Johansson

Rathbone?

Pettersson?

Garland on the roster in 2-3 years? That's quite a reach. Put Klimovich on Raty's right side - and we've got a very nice roster.

• Like 1

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just because I think we won't be able to shift him sadly

He only has 3 years left on his contract, including this upcoming season. So, in 3 years his contract will be gone regardless. And in 2 years - it's highly likely he's either traded or bought out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks needed RD, so Allvin drafted 3 of them (one who will be the best D in this draft class)

Legend B)

Also, other teams are going to regret passing on Brzustewicz in Round 2

I think a lot of teams will too. The value of his pick is immense. 

@HighOnHockey

Re The Perkins Pick I'm just curious. I know we left Minnetian on the board there and he was your horse. There were some fantastic picks that followed Perkins. 

Cirenik has that unbelievable speed. Caught my attention at the u18 in 2021 so I made sure to watch him at the U20 this year and catch a few games in the Allsven and he continued to impress me. I thought his skating alone would make him a 2nd rounder. 

Juha Jaktola G 20yo overager I thought Clarke may be pounding the table for him. He had an incredible season in Liiga.

Cam Squires I'm not familiar.

LD Luca Cagnoni home run swing LD. I did not expect him to be on the board at all.

Beckett Hendrikson you seem to follow NTDP pretty closely. 

Of course Minnitian 

and then a bit further down.

Carter Sotheran RD, Big, fast, mean, skilled boxes ticked 

Cam Allen RD(Boy oh boy did he drop),  

Eric Pohlkamp RD what a WJAC

Curious other than Minnitian if there was another guy here you really wanted in the gap to Celebrini. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

@HighOnHockey

Re The Perkins Pick I'm just curious. I know we left Minnetian on the board there and he was your horse. There were some fantastic picks that followed Perkins. 

Cirenik has that unbelievable speed. Caught my attention at the u18 in 2021 so I made sure to watch him at the U20 this year and catch a few games in the Allsven and he continued to impress me. I thought his skating alone would make him a 2nd rounder. 

Juha Jaktola G 20yo overager I thought Clarke may be pounding the table for him. He had an incredible season in Liiga.

LD Luca Cagnoni home run swing LD. I did not expect him to be on the board at all.

Of course Minnitian 

Curious other than Minnitian if there was another guy here you really wanted in the gap to Celebrini. 

Ok I can comment on the players I'm familiar with. Ciernik was one I never paid too much attention to. Saw him a few times, liked what I saw; I had him in the 80s.

I was a Cam Allen detractor early in the season because I thought he was way over-hyped, but I still ended up with him around 50 on my final ranking (just ahead of Brzustewicz actually) so yeah, would have been a good pick in the 4th.

I was a pretty big Beckett Hednrickson fan most of the year. His skating is good, both in term of speed and agility, but not elite. IQ looks very good to me, very translatable. Good details, pretty good hands and passing ability. 6'2 but biggest drawback is he's 170 lbs. But the thing I like most is his game along the boards down low. Slight frame and loses his share of battles against higher level competition, but he's not just looking to dig pucks and chip it around, he's trying to spin off defenders, be evasive and make plays to the net out of the corners. I had him in the 60s.

6'6 over-age center Milton Oscarsson went at 167. I didn't have him ranked but I liked him at World Juniors. Axel Landen went at 130, he was another guy I was a big fan of this year; a defense-first 6'1 RHD, blocks shots, throws some big hits, but I also thought I saw flashes of pretty high-end puck-carrying. Had him in my 80s too.

• Cheers 2

On 7/3/2023 at 2:20 AM, hammertime said:

I agree….

until the 4th round and I think maybe Alvin and Rutherford were so pleased with Willander and our 3rd rounders that they let the staff out early…

LOL.

Nah…

I think they knew more about Willander than most Scouts did.

Homework was done on Tom ‘Just converted to Defence’ Willander and got drafted as the most Defensively sound and Best Skating Defender in the Draft…

The ‘knock’ of Willander was that his scoring and offence was lower than ASP and Reinbacher.

Looks like the stat watchers and me included and a lot of NA scouts missed a pretty significant detail to Tom Willander and also I did not know he had committed to BU until he was drafted.

Huge details missed by many who should be in the know.

most of my information talked about Tom Willander going to the SHL with Rogle.

Safe to say, that the kid himself feels pretty confident with his path and his ability to defend and I don’t think we have to worry about a converted Forward to Defender being able to contribute to the Offensive Production on the Ice.

All I want to know, can he take draws…. We need a Righty and since he can do everything else… LOL.

Alien 3.0, Really want to see at least a pre season game in the next few years with Petterson Petterson and Willander on the ice with Hogslander and Linus Karlsson.

I think it would be a pretty decent line up of some very interesting Swedes,

The Area 51 Line?

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, hammertime said:

@HighOnHockey

Of course Minnitian 

I very curious why Cam Allen fell so far, I know he had a decline in production this year. He was still the Captain of the of both the Canada U18 team and Hlinka Gretzky team (where he had a really good tournament, led all Dmen in scoring and tied for 4th with Zach Benson for tournament scoring). I though the Canucks might have took a chance on him having 3 4th round picks, and tried to right the ship. He was projected to be a 1st round pick at the start of the year.

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I very curious why Cam Allen fell so far, I know he had a decline in production this year. He was still the Captain of the of both the Canada U18 team and Hlinka Gretzky team (where he had a really good tournament, led all Dmen in scoring and tied for 4th with Zach Benson for tournament scoring). I though the Canucks might have took a chance on him having 3 4th round picks, and tried to right the ship. He was projected to be a 1st round pick at the start of the year.

Yeah but projected by who? I never really trust this narrative anymore because I watched it all go down with Aatu Raty. As far as I know it was mostly Craig Button (and a lot stat-watching fans and bloggers) who started saying early he was a first overall contender. But a number of posters HF who I trust know their shit said from the get-go it was hogwash, and he wouldn't go anything close to first. 2021 was such a wide open draft and nobody had a clue who would go first a year out, but Button needs to churn out the content and he needed to guess somebody. I don't mean this to be me hating on Button; I don't dislike him, but he's just one guy, and I don't think he watches quite as much prospects - especially D-1s - as fans assume he does.

It just creates so much confusion though. All these fans then asking what happened and why did he fall, but in reality he was just never as good a prospect as some people thought. I'm not sure to what extent this applies to Cam Allen, but personally I always thought he was at least a little over-hyped.

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah but projected by who? I never really trust this narrative anymore because I watched it all go down with Aatu Raty. As far as I know it was mostly Craig Button (and a lot stat-watching fans and bloggers) who started saying early he was a first overall contender. But a number of posters HF who I trust know their shit said from the get-go it was hogwash, and he wouldn't go anything close to first. 2021 was such a wide open draft and nobody had a clue who would go first a year out, but Button needs to churn out the content and he needed to guess somebody. I don't mean this to be me hating on Button; I don't dislike him, but he's just one guy, and I don't think he watches quite as much prospects - especially D-1s - as fans assume he does.

It just creates so much confusion though. All these fans then asking what happened and why did he fall, but in reality he was just never as good a prospect as some people thought. I'm not sure to what extent this applies to Cam Allen, but personally I always thought he was at least a little over-hyped.

You usually dont get to captain team Canada without having some stuff going for you though. He did look very good at the Hlinka but since then has trended in the wrong direction. I think there is something else going on there. He definitely has 2nd round talent and is a RD, his performance in his D-1 year was very good. He was also the 3rd overall selection in the OHL draft. Capitals got a good project guy, if they can get him back on track he does have some top 4 potential. 

He also tested extremely well at the combine finishing top 5 in the following categories:

Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration

Anaerobic Fitness: – Mean Power Output (watts/kg)

Force Plate: Vertical Jump (inches)

Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip (lb)

Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip (lb)

Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups Consecutive (max #)

Musculoskeletal: Horizontal Jump (inches)

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think the decline, his skating, and the fact he may have physically peaked early are these strongest reasons I can see for the Cam Allen drop