The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't think she was talking about Willander when she was telling Todd Harvey he better know what the #uck he's doing. 

Good to see that the group is not just a bunch of yes man/woman.   JR said he wanted diverse opinions.  PA also seems to be interested in everyone's take before deciding.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Good to see that the group is not just a bunch of yes man/woman.   JR said he wanted diverse opinions.  PA also seems to be interested in everyone's take before deciding.  

I agree with you and the new management thought process 

“It’s easy to go in and watch a couple of games and have an opinion [on a player]. That doesn’t mean that’s the right opinion about the player, so that’s why I need to challenge my staff. Every decision that’s going to be made here, it’s based again on the process leading up to the decision. We want to hold our scouts and staff members accountable.”

“The first thing with Jim [Rutherford] is that I’ve been impressed with how open-minded he is,” added Alvin. “He wants to strive for success, he’s never satisfied, and I think that’s contagious for every single one of us working underneath. He really trusts and empowers staff, and he doesn’t just want people who agree with him, and neither do I. There are going to be some big discussions and arguments, and at the end of the day, we’re going to do what’s best for the Vancouver Canucks now and in the future.”

Ultimately, Harvey makes the final decision amongst the scouts during debates, which is then presented to management and ownership to make the decision for the NHL Draft.

Given Allvin’s 19-year history as a scout, between the Montreal Canadiens and the Pittsburgh Penguins, he understands the hours poured into finding players and he trusts his team.

“I have a lot of respect for them. I know how hard they work and the pride they take to make this right,” Allvin said. “[The Draft] is a graduation for the scouts, it’s a game seven. The excitement for them coming into Nashville, it’s well deserved, and I want to make sure they enjoy the time there as well. They definitely have done a great job since I’ve got in here.”

• elephant 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He oversees both amateur and pro scouting as far as I know. Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME can correct me on this one. 

Nothing to correct here. You’ve got it right. As I understand it, Clancey oversees both scouting departments, along with Granato.

He was also one of the very first hires by Rutherford, brought in about a week after JR was named PoHO (and about a month and a half before Allvin). As I understand it, Clancey was tasked with doing a complete review of scouting, restructuring the departments, implementing some new systems, and making sure everyone was on the same page. So he definitely has his fingerprints all over both amateur and pro scouting in Vancouver. 

I think you’re right that he deserves more recognition than he gets. 

Same can be said of Scott Young (director of player personnel).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

12 hours ago, Ballisticsports. said:

I agree with you and the new management thought process 

“It’s easy to go in and watch a couple of games and have an opinion [on a player]. That doesn’t mean that’s the right opinion about the player, so that’s why I need to challenge my staff. Every decision that’s going to be made here, it’s based again on the process leading up to the decision. We want to hold our scouts and staff members accountable.”

“The first thing with Jim [Rutherford] is that I’ve been impressed with how open-minded he is,” added Alvin. “He wants to strive for success, he’s never satisfied, and I think that’s contagious for every single one of us working underneath. He really trusts and empowers staff, and he doesn’t just want people who agree with him, and neither do I. There are going to be some big discussions and arguments, and at the end of the day, we’re going to do what’s best for the Vancouver Canucks now and in the future.”

There's the difference, he's not a one man band which was the flaw of the last administartion

• Cheers 1

I like that Draft video so much, really proves that Willander was their guy all along. They thought about trading down, but didn't want to chance losing him. Understandable. Willander is going to be a top pairing Dman for many years. Even watching him speak to them at the Combine, they were glued to his every word, he speaks so well, thoughtful and mature. Natural born leader. Excited to think of the Hughes - Willander pairing one day. It's going to be dominant. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Kinda hate how they are just kinda crapping directly on the Habs here.  You have how many other teams that drafted not Michkov?  Pumped Danielson but hey,  Reinbacher might be a good off the board puck though?

Problem is.  for all the potential hype around Michkov there's two serious standout issues.  His attitude and his size.  This is again without mentioning the KHL/Russia issues right now.  At days end, anything could theoretically happen.  Bedard could bust, Michkov could be the greatest russian player to ever hit the ice and our Celebrini could be a perennial Norris candidate. 

It's always a wait and see issue once the draft has completed

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Kinda hate how they are just kinda crapping directly on the Habs here.  You have how many other teams that drafted not Michkov?  Pumped Danielson but hey,  Reinbacher might be a good off the board puck though?

Problem is.  for all the potential hype around Michkov there's two serious standout issues.  His attitude and his size.  This is again without mentioning the KHL/Russia issues right now.  At days end, anything could theoretically happen.  Bedard could bust, Michkov could be the greatest russian player to ever hit the ice and our Celebrini could be a perennial Norris candidate. 

It's always a wait and see issue once the draft has completed

The video was a bit of a roller coaster ride. I think what he's saying with Michkov though , with the talent inherent in him, you just have to go for it. The Sharks and Habs were the 2 Michkov standouts. It was known that Michkov would not go to Arizona.

But to be fair to the Habs, them picking Michkov would have been similar to when the Oilers picked Yakupov. The Habs already have lots of young skill forwards. 

Danielson reminds me of Shawn Matthias. And maybe Horvat. imo not a guy you want considering what was on the board 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Vintage 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:00 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nothing to correct here. You’ve got it right. As I understand it, Clancey oversees both scouting departments, along with Granato.

He was also one of the very first hires by Rutherford, brought in about a week after JR was named PoHO (and about a month and a half before Allvin). As I understand it, Clancey was tasked with doing a complete review of scouting, restructuring the departments, implementing some new systems, and making sure everyone was on the same page. So he definitely has his fingerprints all over both amateur and pro scouting in Vancouver. 

I think you’re right that he deserves more recognition than he gets. 

Same can be said of Scott Young (director of player personnel).

I read somewhat different

For the Canucks’ amateur scouting department, preparing for the NHL Draft is a year-round process.

Each new regime sets their own agenda:

*President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford and General Manager Patrik Allvin set the vision for the club

*The scouting and analytics departments analyze and evaluate based on that vision

*Assistant General Manager Cammi Granato and Director of Amateur Scouting Todd Harvey collaborate with the departments, consolidate the information, and make recommendations to management.

*Granato oversees the scouting department and creates a handbook that aligns with the vision and philosophy of the management group. It includes core characteristics the club looks for in a player and a rating standard for various skills.

Harvey is also responsible for scouting and selecting players in the first three rounds. Assistant General Manager Derek Clancey, Wyatt Smith in the crossover role, and Bobbie Haglin, support the evaluation of rounds one through three, while also assessing rounds four through seven with the rest of the scouting staff.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

I read somewhat different

For the Canucks’ amateur scouting department, preparing for the NHL Draft is a year-round process.

Each new regime sets their own agenda:

*President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford and General Manager Patrik Allvin set the vision for the club

*The scouting and analytics departments analyze and evaluate based on that vision

*Assistant General Manager Cammi Granato and Director of Amateur Scouting Todd Harvey collaborate with the departments, consolidate the information, and make recommendations to management.

*Granato oversees the scouting department and creates a handbook that aligns with the vision and philosophy of the management group. It includes core characteristics the club looks for in a player and a rating standard for various skills.

Harvey is also responsible for scouting and selecting players in the first three rounds. Assistant General Manager Derek Clancey, Wyatt Smith in the crossover role, and Bobbie Haglin, support the evaluation of rounds one through three, while also assessing rounds four through seven with the rest of the scouting staff.

So unlike Benning Allvin allows his scouting department (within his determined guidelines) to make the picks. 
I never liked how Benning went out and scouted players for a weekend and then picked “his” guy for our highest selections. No wonder Bracket was happy when he got to Minny. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So unlike Benning Allvin allows his scouting department (within his determined guidelines) to make the picks. 
I never liked how Benning went out and scouted players for a weekend and then picked “his” guy for our highest selections. No wonder Bracket was happy when he got to Minny. 

Allvin was a scout for 19 years and knows the work that they put into it, he sets a vision with all his staff and trusts that each of them work together to achieve success together. It appears to be more collaboration than dictatorship with accountability and input from everyone, instead of being kept in the dark as Smyl said of the past regime

• There it is 1

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While I agree, can we perhaps put the champagne on ice until any of the pick actually plays a game for us in the NHL. 
I remember ALL of us being impressed with Benning first draft as a GM. 
His drafting was not his achilles heel... just about everything else was...

Benning did build us our current core (sans Hronek) so there is that he did well. 

• Cheers 1