The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I will hold my opinion of the draft for at least three years. Unless you get a top 3 pick you just never know.  At least they drafted D and C which is the strength of any good team.  I was a little tired of slow soft wingers with a decent shot!  ( or juolevi ). 

16 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Who would you rather have Hronek or Durzi and 17th overall (ASP or Oliver Moore)? I know Hronek is better than Durzi but is he 17th overall better?

100% Hronek over Druzi and 17th. It fits our timeline better. Moore and ASP are atleast 3-4 years away from making the NHL. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

1st two picks were great.  Our 7th rounder, fine.

Everything in :sick: between; 

Kind of funny to hear the typical moans and groans after the draft

Could be fun to compare the players Cam Robinson to the players Canucks took 5 years from now, and see who was right. 
Canucks has an entire network of Scouts working over the year, so its fair to think they have more viewings of the players. 

I do get though, how easy it is to say they dod this or that wrong, when you don't really have answer the bell afterwards. 

PS. complaining about a 6'6 player drafted in the 4 th round is a joke... if he had any standout traits, he was hardly going to be there in the 4th round. 
Its a project, and if just some of it comes together, its a winning ticket. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

I honestly don't understand the overage picks. Bogdan Konyushkov and Oskar Asplund to me were head and shoulders above the guys we picked as overages guess we will see. I hope our scouts have done their homework Willander is a head scratcher too. Trusting the professionals and hoping for the best. 

Think Willander pick is fine. Defo not a bad pick at all...

When we drafted Woo in the 2nd round I was ecstatic after the reports coming in left, right and centre... He may still become an NHL player, but the clock is ticking. 
Point being we just don't know... At least the network of scouts should have a feeling for, what they are doing. 
Loved they to a fair few D this year, Rhd in particular, mow time will tell, if they can materialize... if nothing else, they are probably better trade fodder for being rhd's...

And a 6'6 winger... they got to try to take a swing at that. 

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

As much as I wanted Pecarcik I'm absolutely thrilled with this pick. I believe in a players history being a solid marker. Guys like Allen and Hunter were steals of the draft at their draft position. 

Pekarcik rose to about a level I had pegged him early and the u18 fuel'd the fire. It was great to see. But Hunter dropped well below where I thought he would be available. I think their both great players and I'm happy we got one of them. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. But I'm stoked.

The later 3rd and onward picks were head scratchers to me. But it's people's ft job to make those picks there were absolutely guys I was pounding the table for and I'll probably make a post later about steals of the draft. But for now I'll throw my full support behind these kids even If I'm a tad salty we didn't grab  any of. Allen, Ciernik, Sotheran,  Minnetian, Pinelli, Konyushkov, Goldsmith, Asplund, Forsfjall, Jarventie, Kostadinski among others who were IMO low hanging fruit at our picks. 

Would have like Southern as well...

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Are you just ignoring the fact our scouting department has utterly failed to unearth NHL players from beyond the 1st round at close to an average rate?  Go look at all the 2nd and 3rd round players we drafted on our roster.

Compare that to guys like Pronman or Button who actually spend all year talking with scouts from MANY organizations and also watch players to get a well rounded view…. And end up regularly beating the pack by a wide margin in redrafts.

The only two hockey evaluators in our organization that seem to have any credibility based on past performance are Gradin and Ian Clark.

Well lets draft more Swedes and Goalies then....

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

We're tanking this year for Mackiln. If we don't get 1st OA we'll trade Pety for it. He's gonna want max money's to stay here. 

Start the rebuild. 

Honestly with our roster holes tanking isn't out of the question.\

Even if we didn't get the Macklin or Eiserman 

Getting Zeev BUIUM would be amazing.

We will see what they do this weekend signing sand trades if any. 

Liking some of the connections the Canucks made:

Reuniting (one day) Alriksson and Lekkerimaki, who played together last season

Willander and Celebrini both playing for Boston U next season

Celebrini and Mynio from BC

And they drafted some Canadians: Celebrini, Perkins, Mueller and Mynio

I’m very high on Brzustewicz, who I thought was going to be taken late in the 1st round/early 2nd round. I’m very pumped to have him fall to us.

He’s a projectable #4 type defenseman and potentially could be a Hronek replacement in the future. 

He’s a jack of all trades defenseman. His skating, IQ, and vision alone will make him an NHL defenseman. And he’s right handed too.

Willander, Brzustewicz, Pettersson, Mynio, Celebrini, and Kudryavtsev is a respectable defensive pool. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’m very high on Brzustewicz, who I thought was going to be taken late in the 1st round/early 2nd round. I’m very pumped to have him fall to us.

He’s a projectable #4 type defenseman and potentially could be a Hronek replacement in the future. 

He’s a jack of all trades defenseman. His skating, IQ, and vision alone will make him an NHL defenseman. And he’s right handed too.

Willander, Brzustewicz, Pettersson, Mynio, Celebrini, and Kudryavtsev is a respectable defensive pool. 

What about Johansson? 

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

What about Johansson? 

I don’t really consider him a prospect anymore cause he’s 23 years old.

Hes part of those young depth guys like Hirose, Rathbone, Brisebois, and such.

Although i do consider McWard to be a prospect. So I’d add him to the other list for sure

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is this pretty much the D prospects depth chart?

Brisebois - Willander

Rathbone - Woo

Hirose - Brzustewicz

Pettersson - Johansson

Mynio - McWard

Kudryavtsev - Celebrini

Jurmo - Persson

Utunen

Truscott

Don’t think Utunen wasn’t kept. 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is this pretty much the D prospects depth chart?

Brisebois - Willander

Rathbone - Woo

Hirose - Brzustewicz

Pettersson - Johansson

Mynio - McWard

Kudryavtsev - Celebrini

Jurmo - Persson

Utunen

Truscott

Pettersson-Willander could break into the league at the same time. Wouldn’t that be cool.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Screw said:

Pettersson-Willander could break into the league at the same time. Wouldn’t that be cool.

That could be a really great duo. Pettersson the big stay at home D man, and then Willander, who will be working more on his offensive game, breaking ankles and piling up the points. 

Edited by NUCKER67