The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

12 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

The video was a bit of a roller coaster ride. I think what he's saying with Michkov though , with the talent inherent in him, you just have to go for it. The Sharks and Habs were the 2 Michkov standouts. It was known that Michkov would not go to Arizona.

But to be fair to the Habs, them picking Michkov would have been similar to when the Oilers picked Yakupov. The Habs already have lots of young skill forwards. 

Danielson reminds me of Shawn Matthias. And maybe Horvat. imo not a guy you want considering what was on the board 

No I get that, I really do.  But it kind of reminds me of that can't miss russian player that Nashville drafted Radulov who just kept dropping even after playing in the CHL.  We all knew Michkov was gonna fall, it was the unspoken secret of the draft.  Just kinda seems like the whole video was a parting shot across the bow of the Habs with that endless soundbite.

Danielson though; kind of on the fence about that one because a lot of what was said in the video and in this thread rings true.  Skates very well, big body.  RHC and a defensive wizard that shut down the consensus best pick since McDavid on a game in game out basis.  Will be interesting to see how that one pans out

• Upvote 1

That RTH video, supposedly ripping apart the Habs and why they didn't take Michkov etc. I didn't watch it, because I couldn't really stomach the whining from that fan base who have been crying since the words "Jesper Kotkaniemi" were mumbled. That franchise is so spoiled, all of those Cup banners in the rafters, and they still whine like no other. 

Actually, I'm, kind of surprised that an upset Canucks fan wasn't doing a similar video regarding Willander and Benson :lol:

It's pretty pathetic and sad how this 18 year old "kid" (Reinbacher) has been treated by that Franco-fanbase, on the best day of his hockey life. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 2

6 hours ago, Ballisticsports. said:

I read somewhat different

For the Canucks’ amateur scouting department, preparing for the NHL Draft is a year-round process.

Each new regime sets their own agenda:

*President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford and General Manager Patrik Allvin set the vision for the club

*The scouting and analytics departments analyze and evaluate based on that vision

*Assistant General Manager Cammi Granato and Director of Amateur Scouting Todd Harvey collaborate with the departments, consolidate the information, and make recommendations to management.

*Granato oversees the scouting department and creates a handbook that aligns with the vision and philosophy of the management group. It includes core characteristics the club looks for in a player and a rating standard for various skills.

Harvey is also responsible for scouting and selecting players in the first three rounds. Assistant General Manager Derek Clancey, Wyatt Smith in the crossover role, and Bobbie Haglin, support the evaluation of rounds one through three, while also assessing rounds four through seven with the rest of the scouting staff.

Clancy left the Canucks for the Toronto Maple Leafs today!

17 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

But he hugely missed on two top six picks: Virtanen and Juolevi. Plus trading our first round picks for a bag of magic beans that never took root.

I mean Virtanen is a douche. But did we need a teeny FWD in Ehlers or I want 10m Nylander? Would they be the answer??

Tkachuk was going to bolt to a US market as fast as he could and he did. 

Not every pick pans out. The thought process behind picking a pwf with elite speed and a D we needed so badly who had just played at an elite level with elite players was sound. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. 

Will you also hang current mgmt for picking a tiny winger that my daughter could strip the puck off of in the corner? And reach for a RHD who has no history of any sort of offense except for one WJC *cough* where he played 3d behind ASP Lindstein. 

For the record I'm happy with the Willander pick because he was the best RHD on the board and we need those. I did have But well ahead of him though guys his size who skate and shoot like him are unicorns. Willy isn't exactly a towering defensive D if his offense doesn't come.

• Wat 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:48 AM, hammertime said:

I mean Virtanen is a douche. But did we need a teeny FWD in Ehlers or I want 10m Nylander? Would they be the answer??

Tkachuk was going to bolt to a US market as fast as he could and he did. 

Not every pick pans out. The thought process behind picking a pwf with elite speed and a D we needed so badly who had just played at an elite level with elite players was sound. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. 

Will you also hang current mgmt for picking a tiny winger that my daughter could strip the puck off of in the corner? And reach for a RHD who has no history of any sort of offense except for one WJC *cough* where he played 3d behind ASP Lindstein. 

For the record I'm happy with the Willander pick because he was the best RHD on the board and we need those. I did have But well ahead of him though guys his size who skate and shoot like him are unicorns. Willy isn't exactly a towering defensive D if his offense doesn't come.

We have a lot of Captain Hindsights in Canuckland haha 

awkward self-assured GIF by South Park

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

apparently Michkov will be playing C next season.. if he develops as a star C teams could really kick themselves for not picking him.

will be interesting to follow his development 

Holy! Hab fans are going to be even worse now with the guy they took at 5OA. Michkov as a centre makes him right up there with Bedard. Carlson, Fantilli, and Smith are still good picks, as they all project to be #1 centres. But the guy the Habs took instead of Michkov sure had their fans upset. Michkov as a centre now too. Wow! 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Holy! Hab fans are going to be even worse now with the guy they took at 5OA. Michkov as a centre makes him right up there with Bedard. Carlson, Fantilli, and Smith are still good picks, as they all project to be #1 centres. But the guy the Habs took instead of Michkov sure had their fans upset. Michkov as a centre now too. Wow! 

I honestly really like Reinbacher but if Michkov hits multiple teams will regret passing on Him

21 hours ago, R3aL said:

apparently Michkov will be playing C next season.. if he develops as a star C teams could really kick themselves for not picking him.

will be interesting to follow his development 

Yes I saw that article.

Will be interesting to see if a player who has played on the wing all his career so far, and has been labelled a natural winger, goes  changing to centre. 

Reading some scouting reports he has holes in his defensive game and also while he is a play maker, he is not a play creator.

He is definitely gonna be a helluva player, however a centre ?

18 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Yes I saw that article.

Will be interesting to see if a player who has played on the wing all his career so far, and has been labelled a natural winger, goes  changing to centre. 

Reading some scouting reports he has holes in his defensive game and also while he is a play maker, he is not a play creator.

He is definitely gonna be a helluva player, however a centre ?

I’ve not watched enough of him but everyone always praises his hockey IQ 

So with that combine top tier IQ and elite skill C sounds possible to me.

will be fun to follow and he’s got lots of time to develop at it even if next year is a rough transition 

• Thanks 1

Just saw a couple tweets/quotes from Coyotes GM Bill Armstrong on Simashev and But. Many mocked the picks, but I rly liked them myself.

Anyways, the quotes were that Simashev is checking in at 6’7 and But 6’8. If those numbers are legit, the Yotes have legit mutants on their hands. I was rly high on Simashev at 6’4; 6’7 is just insane for his agility/skating ability.

Perhaps he was exaggerating for effect. It would be interesting to know officially, since no Russian’s were at the combine, the numbers could be outdated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 11:47 PM, Sp3nny said:

Just saw a couple tweets/quotes from Coyotes GM Bill Armstrong on Simashev and But. Many mocked the picks, but I rly liked them myself.

Anyways, the quotes were that Simashev is checking in at 6’7 and But 6’8. If those numbers are legit, the Yotes have legit mutants on their hands. I was rly high on Simashev at 6’4; 6’7 is just insane for his agility/skating ability.

Perhaps he was exaggerating for effect. It would be interesting to know officially, since no Russian’s were at the combine, the numbers could be outdated.

Oh the Yotes made out like bandits.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TopChed said:

Oh the Yotes made out like bandits.

Habs come out of this draft (much like the last one) the real losers here. They pick a hopeful top four Defensive D man (easily gotten a similar player in the middle rounds) and passed on two future superstar Russians that got picked right after. Haberlosers.