The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

28 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Dvorsky seems to be getting slept on hard lately. Big mistake.

I'm seeing the same type of criticisms I saw of Holtz late in his draft year. Never seems to have the puck on his stick at the pro level, not a play-driver or a puck-carrier. Well it's true they never seem to have the puck, but they only need it on their sticks for a fraction of a second.

The way they skate routes off the puck that open multiple play options for the puck carrier. The way they are continuously reading the play so that they always have passing options in mind to immediately get rid of the puck once they get it - the rapid puck movement creates chaos for defenders. The way they can get lost floating high in the offensive zone only to suddenly jump up into open spaces in the slot at just the right times.

Dvorsky may not be as purely skilled as Holtz, particularly in terms of skating, but Dvorsky is more physically engaged, particularly in the offensive paint, he's much better defensively, and he's arguably the better playmaker with the puck on his stick.

Aside from Bedard and Michkov, Dvorsky may very well be the best pure goal-scorer in the draft. And last I checked scoring goals is still pretty important. So he's not going to carry the puck through the neutral zone a lot. I don't buy that he's not an offensive play-driver. Plays are made as much by the players off the puck as by the player with the puck.

I’ve just not seen him play enough to have a strong opinion on him. And when I have I’ve not been wowed 

but that’s why I don’t say much about him good or bad I just don’t know enough 

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’ve just not seen him play enough to have a strong opinion on him. And when I have I’ve not been wowed 

but that’s why I don’t say much about him good or bad I just don’t know enough 

Fair enough. I can't blame you, his wow factor is about as low as it gets for a player of this calibre. He just gets into areas and scores goals. That's about it. But he does it in such a way that as the level of play increases, he'll just keep getting into areas and scoring goals. And by that I mean not just once he gets to the NHL, but when the NHL rolls around to playoffs and things get faster, tighter, more physical... he's just gonna get into areas and score goals.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

If we can miraculously stay where we are, in fifth spot, that would be amazing as it would almost guarantee us either Smith or Benson. 

It seems like there’s a big six in this year’s draft (Bedard, then Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, followed by Benson and Smith) and if we could land any one of those six that could be a game changer for our franchise. 

Of course there’s a ton of promising prospects outside of those six, but the way the rankings are shaping up, it’s truly beginning to look like a consensus top six, whereas the rankings for the players below them seems to vary considerably.

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Dvorsky seems to be getting slept on hard lately. Big mistake.

I'm seeing the same type of criticisms I saw of Holtz late in his draft year. Never seems to have the puck on his stick at the pro level, not a play-driver or a puck-carrier. Well it's true they never seem to have the puck, but they only need it on their sticks for a fraction of a second.

The way they skate routes off the puck that open multiple play options for the puck carrier. The way they are continuously reading the play so that they always have passing options in mind to immediately get rid of the puck once they get it - the rapid puck movement creates chaos for defenders. The way they can get lost floating high in the offensive zone only to suddenly jump up into open spaces in the slot at just the right times.

Dvorsky may not be as purely skilled as Holtz, particularly in terms of skating, but Dvorsky is more physically engaged, particularly in the offensive paint, he's much better defensively, and he's arguably the better playmaker with the puck on his stick.

Aside from Bedard and Michkov, Dvorsky may very well be the best pure goal-scorer in the draft. And last I checked scoring goals is still pretty important. So he's not going to carry the puck through the neutral zone a lot. I don't buy that he's not an offensive play-driver. Plays are made as much by the players off the puck as by the player with the puck.

I'm probably snoozin. Will happily be proved wrong especially if we take him. 

I generally like to see from the C position someone who drives the bus. He seldom carries the puck and when he does he often seems to have tunnel vision neglecting to use his linemates carrying it into double triple coverage where it's easily swatted away from him. I find this frustrating as he is capable of making incredible thread the needle passes when relatively stationary. When the puck comes to him and he gets it off quickly like a hot potato he's fantastic. I have been impressed with his stick work on the back check he is quite effective while on the chase however when the player is coming at him 1v1 he is often too easily walked for my liking. 

I think Devorski is a fantastc weapon on the pp where you can set up and move the puck around quickly and take advantage of soft ice. I think we could do worse with the NYI pick but I also think we could do better. I want a C who drives the middle dishes and gets to the net. That's just my preference the things he does well he does very well in my opinion. It's easy to over analyze these kids and a lot can change over the course of his development. 

This is a good listen, a couple weeks old but they go into detail about the majority of prospects bounced around here. 

Few take aways:

-Doesn’t think Michkov is making it past top 4 

-Very high on Reinbacher (6th OA-top D)

-Low on Benson(12th OA high % he doesn’t translate to NHL due to size)

-Not sold on Will Smith being First USHL player selected 

-Compared Axel-Pellikka to Mateychuk

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

This is a good listen, a couple weeks old but they go into detail about the majority of prospects bounced around here. 

Few take aways:

I see good old pronman is keeping his hate on for anyone from the whl Surprised he even likes bedard lol.

Edited by Isam
  • Haha 1

Michkov goes second overall if he’s from anywhere but Russia. If he’s there at 4th you trade up to get there if you have too. Franchise players don’t grow on trees and the only way to acquire them is through the draft. Reinbacher is another guy you try and get to with the Isles pick or if we draft 8th or higher with our own pick. 

A franchise player and a top RHD bluechip Prospect is sitting there for the taking for us, we need to capitalize on this draft and go for it this year. 

Getting into the top 3 is the dream but I’m going to simmer down on that expectation until after the draft lottery. Too many games left to play and some guys could still jump into tiers with strong playoff performances. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Isam said:

I see good old pronman is keeping his hate on for anyone from the whl Surprised he even likes bedard lol.

Why doesn't he like WHL players brother ? 

Since 1967,  2,129 players have been drafted from the WHL. 

At last years draft, out of the 82 players selected from Canadian leagues 34 percent of them were from the WHL.

3 hours ago, DudePerfect said:

If we can walk away with Reinbacher, Heidt, Minnetian, Nilsson.. would be an amazing draft for the Canucks. We're gonna have extra picks with trades coming up

If we are in the 5th spot.................

We take Reinbacker (5th OA)

Islander pick Oliver Moore (14th OA)

with our Bonk 2nd (RHD) or Allen (RHD) Strbek (RHD) (37th OA)

That would be an incredible draft

On 2/15/2023 at 11:40 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Fair enough. I can't blame you, his wow factor is about as low as it gets for a player of this calibre. He just gets into areas and scores goals. That's about it. But he does it in such a way that as the level of play increases, he'll just keep getting into areas and scoring goals. And by that I mean not just once he gets to the NHL, but when the NHL rolls around to playoffs and things get faster, tighter, more physical... he's just gonna get into areas and score goals.

He’s a player I want a intrigued with last summer going into the year. But I just haven’t seen him play much. He’s the kinda guy if we do draft him I give full trust to our team in that he’s the BPA.

from what you are saying about him he sounds like a good fit. How’s his skating relative to peers do you think?

35 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

If we are in the 5th spot.................

We take Reinbacker (5th OA)

Islander pick Oliver Moore (14th OA)

with our Bonk 2nd (RHD) or Allen (RHD) Strbek (RHD) (37th OA)

That would be an incredible draft

I don’t think we take Reinbacher at 5. Think that could be a big mistake with guys like benson, smith and potentially michkov or in a crazy world Carlsson.

15 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Few take aways:

Pretty hot takes but they are all completely valid and possible outcomes 

EDIT 

listened to it while doing some admin work and he frames all of his opinions completely reasonably was a nice listen thanks. I disagree on his full view of benson and on some players like Barlow but lots of scouts and people have different opinions on players 

like how he supports his views respectfully while acknowledging how others view them he’s talked to too

Edited by R3aL

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

I don’t think we take Reinbacher at 5. Think that could be a big mistake with guys like benson, smith and potentially michkov or in a crazy world Carlsson.

I am ok with what you are saying, and only reacting to a ranking, where Reinbacher had moved up into the top 10, but i saying that, the final rankings are not complete, major scouting services have not completed their final rankings and won't until much later in the year.

I am reminder of McTavish and Seider who both were ranked further down the list until the final rankings, only to go much higher, in their final rankings. I am pretty sure this happens every year, so I caution everyone not to be too surprised when they change. (I remind myself too!)

Far too often we get focussed on a player too early in the process. 

PS.........funny in both Mctavish and Seider, I started liking them before they moved up, and wanted Vancouver to take them, only to see them move past where our pick was, and we missed out. I get the same vibe off of Reinbacher.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Difficult to disagree with his numbers around Benson 

I gave it a full listen. I disagree with the full take on him on benson but can see how he has his opinion and it definitely is very valid.