The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

If I’m a betting man I say if we land Livingston out of College that we don’t use our 1st on a Dman and wait for the Isles pick to see what lands near us (Reinbacher, ASP, Simashev etc) and take a Dman or top Goalie with our 2nd. 

Im not against anyone management chooses in the top 7 as it’s hard to mess it up including Reinbacher in there. Top 4 along with Smith and Benson, if Mitchkov falls you throw a jersey on stage from your seat with his name on the back to call dibs. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

No. Maybe Reinbacher makes a late season push, but if you look at the most trusted scouting outlets (because they're in regular discussion with real NHL scouts), Bob McKenzie, Sportsnet, THN, they have Barlow respectively 8, 8, and 9, while they have Reinbacher 20, 11, and 15.

So I guess not that far off actually, but not just as much. Personally I'd definitely take Barlow over Reinbacher from what I've seen of them. Love the way he plays.

Barlow is a straight up stud. He was so good at the top prospects game. I would be stoked if we got Barlow with our first first (lol) and Reinbacher with our second first. That combo would insert a lot of size into our prospect pool too. 

• Vintage 1

I've made a lot of Adam Fantilli's two-way game, but Leo Carlsson is no slouch either. Hard on the back check, good stick, long reach, skates through pucks. He doesn't have Fantilli's commitment to defense though. Tends to cheat a bit towards offense. But Orebro's coach trusts him enough that he was out for the first shift of 3 on 3 overtime today. He was in on about three brilliant chances through two ot shifts, and prevented a wide open goal on a wrap around. Throw Michkov into the mix and that's going to be a ridiculously difficult decision for whoever is drafting 2nd overall.

• Thanks 1

The draft order will play a Key Role and Mitchkov is going to be a consistent talking point. 

If it ends today: 

Columbus - Bedard 

Chicago - Fantilli

Anaheim - Carlson 

SJ - Mitchkov 

Vancouver - Smith? 

but SJ is a rebuilding team and is more likely to take Mitchkov then most teams

If you want Mitchkov your hoping SJ picks after the Canucks 

I’m not sure that AZ would take him or if another team jumps the lottery I don’t think Anaheim would take him. 

20 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

The draft order will play a Key Role and Mitchkov is going to be a consistent talking point. 

If it ends today: 

Columbus - Bedard 

Chicago - Fantilli

Anaheim - Carlson 

SJ - Mitchkov 

Vancouver - Smith? 

but SJ is a rebuilding team and is more likely to take Mitchkov then most teams

If you want Mitchkov your hoping SJ picks after the Canucks 

I’m not sure that AZ would take him or if another team jumps the lottery I don’t think Anaheim would take him. 

Funny, but I see it a little differently.........

Columbus..........no brainer Bedard

Chicago.............Michkov

Anaheim............Fantilli

SJ......................Carlsson

Vancouver.........Smith

• There it is 1

On reinbacher. I think people got to lower the expectations a bit. He really isn't josi or he isn't a physical freak like a Hedman or a seider.  A good comparable for him if he absolutely hits is a Noah dobson. 

What he does well is defence. Reinbacher uses his size and hockey iq well in this category in that he knows how to close the gap very well. He just seems to look big and it kind of intimidates forwards to keep to the outside. He doesn't hit, but like dobson, he uses his stick superbly, in checking opposing players, often making them looking foolish by breaking up the passing lane or just taking the puck away.

However, one of my biggest gripes is he is not good along the boards yet in puck battles. Teams generally exploit this on him alot in kloten in that they dump the puck into his corner knowing full well that they can take advantage of him physically and generally win the puck battles. This can be fixed, but he will need to put on more  size.

Another good thing about him though is his outlet passes on the transition. He is going to give teams nightmares and our forwards quite a few odd man  rushes. 

One thing I would like to see more though, is taking the puck out of the dzone himself more. He doesn't show enough of that cuz he could be quite exceptional if he did. 

Anyways just some info on what you are getting. Anymore questions just ask.

• Thanks 2

On 2/18/2023 at 12:31 AM, hammertime said:

Realistically I'll be very happy with any combination of the following players 

C's Ritchie, Leonard, Moore, Stramel, Danielson, Whitelaw

D's Simashev, Reinbacher, Axel Pelikka

I mean yeah but like nobody goes 7 for 7 . We got.

Brock, McCann, Pete, Hughes, Pod, Great picks in a minefield of  Cody Glass, Adam Boqvist

Whiffed on Virt, Olli some guys don't work out. The intentions with those picks to add a D and a PWF were good intentions. Just grabbed the wrong D and PWF. If Virtanen hadn't been a worthless human being and Olli turned into a top 4 D like he should have. Then we are looking pretty good today. 

I find it amusing and a little head shaking when people try to site failed draft picks as a reason they are not important or "just a lottery ticket", or "magic beans", is my favorite. Unlike real life where you can actually get a job you can't just sign up for good hockey players, you need to draft them ... as hard as it is to do and the many tries it takes.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:44 AM, spook007 said:

I know, and you're right....

But picking OJ instead of Tkachuk (and a few others) still hurts. 

OJ was considered the 'safe' d pick by many, but man....

I want d and RHD in particular, but if there is a fair drop, or a 'can't miss' forward available, then I think we go with that if in the top 5-6....

after that we can go fishing, but we need to go for as close a can't miss prospect as possible if in the top of the draft. 

Last year was different as we had a couple of Dmen available at our draft position...

Once we ger past the first 10 or so, its pretty much a crapshot anyway, so why not pick for positional needs?

Yeah I completely agree. The BPA thing gets a little overblown. I think tiers are more accurate. Like you said it's a crapshoot the further you go but one thing is certain. If you don't draft any RD then you won't have any RD as a result of drafting. Seems pretty straight forward but our last couple GM's didn't get the memo.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

On 2/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, hammertime said:

Realistically I'll be very happy with any combination of the following players 

C's Ritchie, Leonard, Moore, Stramel, Danielson, Whitelaw

D's Simashev, Reinbacher, Axel Pelikka

I mean yeah but like nobody goes 7 for 7 . We got.

Brock, McCann, Pete, Hughes, Pod, Great picks in a minefield of  Cody Glass, Adam Boqvist

Whiffed on Virt, Olli some guys don't work out. The intentions with those picks to add a D and a PWF were good intentions. Just grabbed the wrong D and PWF. If Virtanen hadn't been a worthless human being and Olli turned into a top 4 D like he should have. Then we are looking pretty good today. 

You know in a perfect world where we sign Livingstone and he pairs / develops beautifully with Hughes.

Drafting ASP

you could project a future imaginary top four of 

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE

EP2-ASP

would be an interesting combination of size / skill / puck moving / nationality lol 

but EP-ASP will be paired next world juniors and could be a dominant top pairing. Having them grow in the system on a similar timeline would be pretty cool.

Ya if we went PWF virtanens year I wanted Nick Ritchie and look how that would have gone too and he doesn’t have the character or work ethic issues like Jake. 

D would have been fleury or honka.

if we went skill I did think Nylander was the obvious choice at the time. Even though SNYPERS was rightfully pushing Ehlers big time here. 

lots of huge misses and hits that draft though was a tough one.

Long winded message jheeeez but ya I want livingstone I’ll be pretty choked if we don’t sign him 

• Cheers 2

On 2/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Funny, but I see it a little differently.........

Columbus..........no brainer Bedard

Chicago.............Michkov

Anaheim............Fantilli

SJ......................Carlsson

Vancouver.........Smith

I honestly can’t imagine a world Fantili doesn’t go second overall.

what he’s doing I. The NCAA is insane. And how he adjusted to playing a support role at the world juniors also commendable. 

If Fantilli doesn’t go second I’ll eat my shirt but I’m 99.9% confident he doesn’t go 3 or later.

• Haha 1

Thought I'd put together a quick list of my top 5 defensemen. All are right shots except Gulyayev. I've said all year that Minnetian is the most dynamic defenseman in the draft, but Gulyayev is in that conversation, and with probably the most polished defensive game of the players listed.

1. Aram Minnetian RD 6'0

2. Mikhail Gulyayev LD 5'10

3. David Reinbacher RD 6'2

4. Lukas Dragicevic RD 6'2

5. Axel Sandin-Pellikka RD 5'11

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I honestly can’t imagine a world Fantili doesn’t go second overall.

what he’s doing I. The NCAA is insane. And how he adjusted to playing a support role at the world juniors also commendable. 

If Fantilli doesn’t go second I’ll eat my shirt but I’m 99.9% confident he doesn’t go 3 or later.

It's interesting though because prior to the war in Russia I would have said I can't imagine a world Michkov doesn't go 2nd overall. At the time I even thought he might be in the conversation for 1st. Remember the U18s where Michkov was under-age and a half (late birthday) and Bedard was full double under-age, but Michkov out-produced him. At Hlinkas he made all other competition irrelevant. If he was able to compete in major international competitions this year, I don't think it would be in question.

This may be the most insensitive thing ever said but I think the worst tragedy of this war on Ukraine is that we didn't get to see Bedard-Michkov go head to head at World Juniors. Michkov might have put up 20+ points of his own.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I find it amusing and a little head shaking when people try to site failed draft picks as a reason they are not important or "just a lottery ticket", or "magic beans", is my favorite. Unlike real life where you can actually get a job you can't just sign up for good hockey players, you need to draft them ... as hard as it is to do and the many tries it takes.

Yeah I completely agree. The BPA thing gets a little overblown. I think tiers are more accurate. Like you said it's a crapshoot the further you go but one thing is certain. If you don't draft any RD then you won't have any RD as a result of drafting. Seems pretty straight forward but our last couple GM's didn't get the memo.

I think this is it. If you don't draft em you won't get em. It sucks when one doesn't work out but that doesn't mean you stop drafting them. It means you can't put all your eggs in one basket and instead make like LA and fill your pipe with em. 

Beauvellier is working out great and he was a toss-in for cap reasons. We can find wingers on the market. Heck Brock's career 0.8PPG even this year he's 0.75 can't flippin give him away. Garland was top 30 in the league last year in 5v5 production 7th in penalties drawn differential. We are discussing buyout.

Not gonna hold my breath on Livingstone but I'd be very happy if we got him. Get him or not I don't think it changes anything. The house that Benning built has no foundation. We need to pour some concrete before we discuss finishings. As much as I like Benson Smith we can get those guys in 2025. We aren't ready to be adding those players right now. 

I like Simashev, Reinbacher, If we could convince the Blues to trade us their 9th and one of their late 1sts to move up to 5/6 that would be ideal.

9th Reinbacher/Simashev

14th Ritchie/Danielson

27th/29th Hrabal time to get a G cooking deffer to Ian   

37th Bonk/Akey/Strbak/Minnitian

Fingers crossed Lekkerimaki turns into a top 6 scorer and we can forget about passing up Benson Smith.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Watch Gavrikov go for a 1st +_+ the price of D is nutz. 

I'm a Gavrikov fan great PKer and stay home D but if he get's a similar return to Bo wow. 

Love it. Teams who miss out on Gavrikov and Chychrun will drive up the price on the next tier of defensemen like Soucy (if made available), McCabe, Schenn, Kulikov. Looking at teams like Toronto, Boston, Calgary, Tampa?, Minnesota? . One of those teams will eventually put a 3rd on the table, it'll be so hard to get a 2nd.. but out of those teams, I would say Calgary and maybe Toronto being desperate for the physicality he brings. 

Edited by DudePerfect
  • Vintage 1