The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fuse any two Canucks! (and send them through time!)

Rate this topic

Baratheon

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

1982:  Bertuzzi/Boeser

1994:  Bure/Tryamkin (lol a near 7 foot 280 pound russian that can skate like that wtf are you gonna do)

2011:  Jovanovski/Hughes

A Bert Boeser pairing would have destroyed the flyers and victimized that goaltender.  None of the vaunted Islanders dynasty makers would have survived a forward like that

A Bure Tryamkin pairing would have been the freak show of the league.  The fastest and largest skating hardest hitting scoring machine would have flattened Messier and anyone within a 6 foot arm span.  Bure had the snarl Train didn't

A Jovanovski and Hughes pairing would have given us that 1d that can hit, score and would have literally taken Marchand apart piece by piece.  he'd have scrapped pretty much whatever forward Dr recchi had in mind including that skating idiot Lucic.

The second two are quite good so that makes me wonder if the first one is serious.  What does Boeser really add to Bertuzzi?  That goaltender?  You mean Billy Smith?

46 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The second two are quite good so that makes me wonder if the first one is serious.  What does Boeser really add to Bertuzzi?  That goaltender?  You mean Billy Smith?

People think of Bert as a brutish winger but the guy had so much latent skill with his size and solid skating.  Boeser is actually a very intelligent player with a helluva shot but no willingness to create that space or push his way to the front of the net.

A combination of them is a solid skating large body with intelligence and a snipers shot.  He would have represented something that the team didn't have back then that the Isles that year never faced; or most teams for that matter.  Hell, one could have even combined Hank Sedin and Cam Neely or Mogilny and Horvat and sent them back

I just like the possibilities of a Bertuzii/Boeser combination

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Jason Dickinson and Bill Sweatt

DickSweatt

Sorry

54 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

It's ok

Mike Sillinger + Brad Hunt

Alrighty then, since we're all a bunch of pubescent Peter Griffins in here:

Shinkaruk and Dickinson...

In the words of George Costanza "I was in the pool!"

Some of these are too easy...I digress...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

reinhart and bieksa and smyl and tiger williams,

Smyl and Tiger were actually pretty similar.  Both smallish guys and excellent fighters.  Both pretty solid 30 goal scorers.  Both fearless with a ton of heart.  They are both guys that I would fuse with other players, generally bigger players or else super elite passers like Henrik or Boudrias.

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People think of Bert as a brutish winger but the guy had so much latent skill with his size and solid skating.  Boeser is actually a very intelligent player with a helluva shot but no willingness to create that space or push his way to the front of the net.

A combination of them is a solid skating large body with intelligence and a snipers shot.  He would have represented something that the team didn't have back then that the Isles that year never faced; or most teams for that matter.  Hell, one could have even combined Hank Sedin and Cam Neely or Mogilny and Horvat and sent them back

I just like the possibilities of a Bertuzii/Boeser combination

Fair enough.  Neely when we had him was really just a promising 15-20 goal scorer though.  That's why I generally went with Bure's goals and Henrik's passing, or if one of them already existed on the team in question then replacing with Mogilny or Tanti etc. for goals (or Bert for size and some goals) or else Boudrias for passing.

I have to say taking Cliff Ronning's skills and putting them in the body of Bertuzzi or Tryamkin would possibly be something on the order of Mario Lemieux.

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Fair enough.  Neely when we had him was really just a promising 15-20 goal scorer though.  That's why I generally went with Bure's goals and Henrik's passing, or if one of them already existed on the team in question then replacing with Mogilny or Tanti etc. for goals (or Bert for size and some goals) or else Boudrias for passing.

I have to say taking Cliff Ronning's skills and putting them in the body of Bertuzzi or Tryamkin would possibly be something on the order of Mario Lemieux.

Pettersson/Neely

Yikes

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

As a fit for this team, I'd combine Mitchell and Salo. Malo would be the ultimate Hughes partner.

Combining Hughes and Salo to give Hughes a shot and some goals would instantly make him a Hall of Famer I think.  I'd gladly put that on another team.  Hughes mixed with Aucoin might accomplish the same thing.

For the current team...  I guess I'd be torn between adding a forward (Bure + Henrik) or a defenseman (Reinhart + Snepsts / Ohlund / Jovanovski maybe).

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pettersson/Neely

Yikes

A player I'd be glad to have on any team.  But I feel like Pettersson and the Canucks version of Neely are maybe being a little overrated here.  I could never take what I've seen from Pettersson thus far over either Bure's speed and goals or Henrik's passing and face offs.  And the Canucks version of Neely...really nowhere close to the Canucks version of Bertuzzi and doesn't even match Smyl or Curt Fraser or Orland Kurtenbach in overall on ice effectiveness as a physical forward.

Bruins Neely was really something but Canucks Neely...really wasn't that much better than Jim Sandlak.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

43 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

A player I'd be glad to have on any team.  But I feel like Pettersson and the Canucks version of Neely are maybe being a little overrated here.  I could never take what I've seen from Pettersson thus far over either Bure's speed and goals or Henrik's passing and face offs.  And the Canucks version of Neely...really nowhere close to the Canucks version of Bertuzzi and doesn't even match Smyl or Curt Fraser or Orland Kurtenbach in overall on ice effectiveness as a physical forward.

Bruins Neely was really something but Canucks Neely...really wasn't that much better than Jim Sandlak.

To be fair, Neely was only 20 years old at the time on a horrible team (& horrible the year before).  Tough to develop under those conditions/  Neely turned into Ringo Starr while Jim Sandlak was Pete Best.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, Neely was only 20 years old at the time on a horrible team (& horrible the year before).  Tough to develop under those conditions/  Neely turned into Ringo Starr while Jim Sandlak was Pete Best.

Yes and no.  That horrible team developed all of Tony Tanti, Petri Skriko, Patrik Sundstrom, Doug Lidster, Garth Butcher and some others.  And Stan Smyl, Rick Lanz and Thomas Gradin before them.

Neely obviously had a higher ceiling than Sandlak but hindsight is kind of 20/20.  In 1988 would you really have been able to tell the difference between Luc Robitaille's future and Jimmy Carson's if you were running the Kings or Oilers...