The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Zack MacEwen

On 8/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, -AJ- said:

They are nearly identical players

So you think they are nearly identical?

On 8/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, -AJ- said:

How do you find them to be different? They are about a month apart in age, both play centre, both play less than 10 minutes a game, and both have a notable physical element to their game.

So you don't know how they are different?

On 8/2/2022 at 11:38 PM, -AJ- said:

I don't totally disagree, but here are my thoughts:

1. On the face-offs, I do agree, though the sample size is fairly small for both guys, so we'll see how that plays out in the future.

2. On offense, you're correct, though MacEwen did score 6 points in 17 games with Vancouver in 2019-20, though 17 games is a small sample. If we're looking at 2021-22 alone, Joshua was almost certainly the better player offensively.

3. Both hits per game amounts are very high, so I don't think that points out too much of a difference, though it is still clear that Joshua hits more.

MacEwen was actually used in a more defensive role in Philadelphia than Joshua in St. Louis, getting only 35.5% oZS, whereas Joshua saw average usage with 49.1%. Both players had acceptable CORSI levels given their usage.

Neither play spent any significant time on the PK.

Another notable difference is that Joshua doesn't take as many penalties as MacEwen, which could be good or bad depending on your perspective. MacEwen had 12 major penalties last year, most of which I'm assuming were fights. Joshua (30 games vs 75 games) had 2 major penalties. If you like fights, then you will prefer MacEwen here. However, on the other hand, MacEwen also took 20 minor penalties in 75 games. Joshua was much more responsible, only taking 3 minor penalties in his 30 games. If you want a big hitter who doesn't cross the line, Joshua is your guy. If you're out for blood no matter the cost, MacEwen is your man.

I have no issue with Joshua and love the addition, but I'm irked when fans immediately turn on a player as soon as he leaves the team, suddenly realizing all their faults. I had no issue with him being risked on waivers and while a little disappointed, was not crushed when he was claimed, but that still doesn't mean I need to defend our guys over him to the death.

So you say they aren't nearly identical and went into detail on how they are different? Have to love summertime on CDC.

1 hour ago, Boho53 said:

So you think they are nearly identical?

So you don't know how they are different?

So you say they aren't nearly identical and went into detail on how they are different? Have to love summertime on CDC.

It's called nuance. I think they are extremely similar, but I'm not so hyperbolic as to deny any differences whatsoever. The numbers 4500 and 4501 are different and I could explain how they are different, but they are also very similar. Make sense? Try avoiding snarky comments and you may enjoy summertime on CDC a bit more.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's called nuance. I think they are extremely similar, but I'm not so hyperbolic as to deny any differences whatsoever. The numbers 4500 and 4501 are different and I could explain how they are different, but they are also very similar. Make sense? Try avoiding snarky comments and you may enjoy summertime on CDC a bit more.

The difference between 4500 or 4501 is a lot closer than does everything better or fights a lot. You should know that from your 3rd post after being coy. I will definitely try to avoid your comments. Thanks for the advice.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, tas said:

emuslify isn't a word that can be used that way. you suspended one liquid in my brain in another without forming a solution?

cool, i misspoke. (you misspelled)  have you ever misspoken?

annihilate a better word for you?

please respond in lowercase all the time like a monotone, morose individual.

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

cool, i misspoke. (you misspelled)  have you ever misspoken?

annihilate a better word for you?

please respond in lowercase all the time like a monotone, morose individual.

I don't generally use words I don't know the meaning of. I also don't care how you interpret my tone. why are we talking about this like a week later or whatever it is?

18 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't generally use words I don't know the meaning of. I also don't care how you interpret my tone. why are we talking about this like a week later or whatever it is?

just logging on now. saw your disdain for the word i associated you with. thought id say something. ok.

19 minutes ago, Western Red said:

just logging on now. saw your disdain for the word i associated you with. thought id say something. ok.

nothing wrong with the word when it's used in a way that makes a modicum of sense. 

Always have respect for the loyal bottom 6 warrior that Zack Mac brought. Also classy guy singing happy birthday to Sutter at the 2020 ice and dice with Bris and HuggyBear (just before covid hit). He’s a torts kind of player. 

CDEC56A5-45CD-413B-A866-6FAF3F2F3CF1.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, 4petesake said:

Sorry to lose him when we did, mostly because we didn’t have much of what he brought to the team.  He has his limitations for sure but he was a good honourable guy who stood up for his teammates. He probably is lucky to still have a gig but he still has my respect.

Zack says don’t f around with with Hoglander.

And this is where WAR fails.   Zack was great in the AHL, a star for sure, it's too bad he hasn't developed a bit more, but he's exactly the type of player once a upon a time everyone had to be if they wanted to make the NHL as a fringe player - people that think these guys are a dime a dozen (Gadj too), well are they?   Pretty sure they are not, we don't have anyone on our team

like him, at least at the NHL level.   Maroon ... those guys are also rare and big reason he's on the cup was it 3 years in a row? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

On 8/3/2022 at 4:21 PM, 4petesake said:

Sorry to lose him when we did, mostly because we didn’t have much of what he brought to the team.  He has his limitations for sure but he was a good honourable guy who stood up for his teammates. He probably is lucky to still have a gig but he still has my respect.

Zack says don’t f around with with Hoglander.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

And this is where WAR fails.   Zack was great in the AHL, a star for sure, it's too bad he hasn't developed a bit more, but he's exactly the type of player once a upon a time everyone had to be if they wanted to make the NHL as a fringe player - people that think these guys are a dime a dozen (Gadj too), well are they?   Pretty sure they are not, we don't have anyone on our team

like him, at least at the NHL level.   Maroon ... those guys are also rare and big reason he's on the cup was it 3 years in a row? 

This guy can fight. Period that's it. Which is pretty much useless these days. Completely incapable of playing with and using teammates in a meaningful way. Without a doubt my least favorite type of player. He and Bailey can both fly far far away and never come back.

Im Out Blast Off GIF by Gabby

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Any canucks young players that didn’t develop during Green tenure I always think what could have been if Travis wasn’t their coach :unsure: