The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Zack MacEwen

10 minutes ago, coryberg said:

No GIF

How do you find them to be different? They are about a month apart in age, both play centre, both play less than 10 minutes a game, and both have a notable physical element to their game.

6 hours ago, Western Red said:

925k is succeeding. You alright?

Helluva lot more than what you and I make I bet. Also, how many people are in the NHL again? I imagine a pretty small percent of the population. I love how people try clown NHLers as if you're doing anything special in life. Lol.

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Helluva lot more than what you and I make I bet. Also, how many people are in the NHL again? I imagine a pretty small percent of the population. I love how people try clown NHLers as if you're doing anything special in life. Lol.

Was obviously relative to an NHLer 9 points is replacement level. Good on MacEwen to have an NHL job but let's not pretend he’s irreplaceable at the NHL level. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

How do you find them to be different? They are about a month apart in age, both play centre, both play less than 10 minutes a game, and both have a notable physical element to their game.

Dakota is a better skater with better underlying numbers, he was 53.3% in the circle last year...Mac was 45.7%! He took 75 draws in 30 games (2.5 per game)...Mac took only 35 in 75 games(0.47 per game)! Mac could only manage 1 extra point in 45 extra games (.27ppg for Dakota vs .12ppg for Mac). Dakota had 2.56 hits per game... Mac had 2.12. Dakota did all this while playing 1:10 less per game (12% less ice time per game)

Basically the only thing Mac has on dakota is that he fights more.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I liked MacEwen, but as others have mentioned, even though he played more games in Philly, his minutes were extremely limited and Philly wasn't exactly a great team. He's 13th forward on most teams, and Joshua fits that role in probably the exact same way. They are nearly identical players, though Joshua has less experience so far.

I thought Philly was pretty patient with Mac. Used him as they needed him and he had a clear idea of expectations. Things were so touchy in Van during the losing that Mac was afraid to do anything that might put his team in a PK. He always seemed willing to step up to defend his team mates. I don't know whether he will be able to stick in the NHL or not as there are always younger players coming to bump you out. Glad he got another contract. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Philly was pretty patient with Mac. Used him as they needed him and he had a clear idea of expectations. Things were so touchy in Van during the losing that Mac was afraid to do anything that might put his team in a PK. He always seemed willing to step up to defend his team mates. I don't know whether he will be able to stick in the NHL or not as there are always younger players coming to bump you out. Glad he got another contract. 

I had a longer, less coherent post cued up trying to say the same thing. Deleted mine.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He played well in Philly, glad he is succeeding there.

He did? 9 points in almost an entire season?

You might say: Well, sure. He isn't on a team as a scorer... he's a checking and fighting type player. And this would be true. However, while a player who can do little else other than hit and be intimidating was the kind of guy almost every team had one or two of 20 years ago, the NHL has changed. When teams like Florida score 340 goals in a single season, teams cannot afford to use up roster spots for guys who can't chip in with points. 

So, sure he is successful in a goon role. But personally, I'd rather us have a guy who goons it up less but scores double the points. At the end of the day, you can win every single fight but that isn't the stat that pushes a team into the playoffs.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Good for him, nice dude. But let's not pretend he's more than a fringe player.

Nice that he found a landing spot but he was expendable.

I mean, most 4th liners are expendable. But it's still nice to have some bite at the bottom of the lineup. Something we desperately need. Thankfully we got Lazar though, so that need has been sort of handled. Not a prolific fighter by any means, but at least he has some grit. Still wish we had Big Mac as a 4th line/depth guy. But I won't pretend he'd change our fortunes or anything.

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, most 4th liners are expendable. But it's still nice to have some bite at the bottom of the lineup. Something we desperately need. Thankfully we got Lazar though, so that need has been sort of handled. Not a prolific fighter by any means, but at least he has some grit. Still wish we had Big Mac as a 4th line/depth guy. But I won't pretend he'd change our fortunes or anything.

Lazar and Joshua can provide that and better numbers. Joshua himself nearly matched MacEwen’s numbers in 30 games. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Garbage player

Sorry to lose him when we did, mostly because we didn’t have much of what he brought to the team.  He has his limitations for sure but he was a good honourable guy who stood up for his teammates. He probably is lucky to still have a gig but he still has my respect.

Zack says don’t f around with with Hoglander.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I have no ill will to Zack. He plays hard and tries to make a difference. And in a limited respect, he does. When he was claimed, I believe he took it like a classy guy and immediately filled the same role in Philly. For as long as a goon is required on a team, I'm glad to see his career continue in this league.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't totally disagree, but here are my thoughts:

1. On the face-offs, I do agree, though the sample size is fairly small for both guys, so we'll see how that plays out in the future.

2. On offense, you're correct, though MacEwen did score 6 points in 17 games with Vancouver in 2019-20, though 17 games is a small sample. If we're looking at 2021-22 alone, Joshua was almost certainly the better player offensively.

3. Both hits per game amounts are very high, so I don't think that points out too much of a difference, though it is still clear that Joshua hits more.

MacEwen was actually used in a more defensive role in Philadelphia than Joshua in St. Louis, getting only 35.5% oZS, whereas Joshua saw average usage with 49.1%. Both players had acceptable CORSI levels given their usage.

Neither play spent any significant time on the PK.

Another notable difference is that Joshua doesn't take as many penalties as MacEwen, which could be good or bad depending on your perspective. MacEwen had 12 major penalties last year, most of which I'm assuming were fights. Joshua (30 games vs 75 games) had 2 major penalties. If you like fights, then you will prefer MacEwen here. However, on the other hand, MacEwen also took 20 minor penalties in 75 games. Joshua was much more responsible, only taking 3 minor penalties in his 30 games. If you want a big hitter who doesn't cross the line, Joshua is your guy. If you're out for blood no matter the cost, MacEwen is your man.

I have no issue with Joshua and love the addition, but I'm irked when fans immediately turn on a player as soon as he leaves the team, suddenly realizing all their faults. I had no issue with him being risked on waivers and while a little disappointed, was not crushed when he was claimed, but that still doesn't mean I need to defend our guys over him to the death.

Great post.

One small point is it doesn’t make sense to compare faceoffs between guys playing center, and guys who are pure wingers. When a winger takes a draw, he is at a decided disadvantage, since if he tries the kind of stuff the center did before getting tossed out, he’ll get a penalty. So MacEwen still being over 45% on draws is actually a positive statistic! Unless, of course, a couple of those minor penalties were for faceoff infractions.

But besides that, I agree with everything else. Mac has stuck in Philly because the team sucks, and the fans love gritty guys that fight. And it’s basically the same with Gadjovich. But I don’t think either player plays a regular shift on a contending team, and neither being claimed on waivers represented any real, tangible loss for the organization.

But at the same time, good for Zack for keeping the dream alive, and sticking in the NHL. Considering his humble beginnings, the fact that he’s actually pulled an NHL salary thus far is a huge win for him.

• Cheers 3