The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations for 2022-23

Rate this topic

Googlie

These are some things I’d like to see the Canucks try if Miller gets traded.  

I wonder if the Canucks would consider moving Podkolzin to Centre.  I can envision Podkolzin being a very effective Horvat type strong 2 way centre if given the opertunity.  Podkolzin is good at faceoffs and has great vision.  The Canucks aren’t shy about asking players to try new things and new positions.  EP40 was a Right winger but has learned the trade of being a centre.  His faceoffs have improved from last year.  I wonder if Podkolzin would be open to try it.   It would be fun to see a Kuzmenko - Podkolzin - Mikheyev line.  

Another thing is Hughes, would he be open to play on the right side?  Boudreau isn’t adverse to giving players different roles.  He put EP40 and Hughes on the PK, why not try Hughes on the right side.  I think it could work because he’s talented and thinks the game well enough. His IQ is very high, I have no doubt he’d excel.  But do the Canucks have the bravery to try it. 

if we could make these changes it would solve a lot of the Canucks problems.  

Mikheyev - EP40 - Boeser

Hoglander - Podkolzin - Kuzmenko

Pearson - Horvat - Garland 

Dickinson  - Lazar - Joshua

OEL - Hughes

Rathbone - Myers

Dermott - Poolman

Schenn

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 1

Excuse me, Pearson - Horvat - Hoggie played 102 minutes together 5-on-5 and there were 0 goals against on average???? with a decent xGF% too. Unless there's movement at the C position, seems like that line should be reunited, no? Esp without an alternative answer for a 3C shutdown line

Mikheyev - Petey - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Dickinson - Lazar - Garland

Really seems like something has got to give on the wings, there's no way any of: Mikhe, Pods, Kuzie, Boeser, Pearson, Hoglander or Garland are 4th line players lol.

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes, almost like he had a down year due to an immense personal weight on his shoulders. We ever gonna stop roasting the poor kid for one down season?

Not roasting, just commenting on data.

Some other takeaways:

Boeser doesn't play well with Petey, is most effective with Miller as center.

Pettersson shouldn't play on a line with Horvat.  7.62 GA/60 with Garland as the RW, but improved to 1.61 when Boeser replaced Garland (offense improved too, with Goals For/60 mins going from 1.66 to 2.49)

Hoglander fits anywhere except, apparently, in Boudreau's plans (and on a line with Miller).  Best offensive line 5 v 5 was Pettersson between Hoagie and Podz, and best defensive line was Horvat between Hoagie and Pearson

Podkolzin sucks as a left winger (zero goals for when paired with Petey and Boeser) - maybe he (and Dickinson) contributed more to Boeser's poorer numbers  .... just reinforces that Brock should play on JT's line

Of course, the blender is likely to be in operation first 20 or so games as Bruce figures out where Kuzmenko and Mikheyev fit

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Some other takeaways:

Pettersson shouldn't play on a line with Horvat.  7.62 GA/60 with Garland as the RW, but improved to 1.61 when Boeser replaced Garland (offense improved too, with Goals For/60 mins going from 1.66 to 2.49)

Hoglander fits anywhere except, apparently, in Boudreau's plans (and on a line with Miller).  Best offensive line 5 v 5 was Pettersson between Hoagie and Podz, and best defensive line was Horvat between Hoagie and Pearson

Podkolzin sucks as a left winger (zero goals for when paired with Petey and Boeser) - maybe he (and Dickinson) contributed more to Boeser's poorer numbers  .... just reinforces that Brock should play on JT's line

Of course, the blender is likely to be in operation first 20 or so games as Bruce figures out where Kuzmenko and Mikheyev fit

Stats do a bad job of taking any context into account. Boeser was a shadow of himself the last 2 years. The year before that, he was our leading scorer. A full offseason of trying to get past all his personal issues will do wonders. 

The data needs to be looked at differently with Boeser, and we shouldn't place him on any line because of the last 2 seasons' data. He needs to play on the top line with one of Miller or Petey. That's where he's the most valuable imo. 

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Stats do a bad job of taking any context into account. Boeser was a shadow of himself the last 2 years. The year before that, he was our leading scorer. A full offseason of trying to get past all his personal issues will do wonders. 

The data needs to be looked at differently with Boeser, and we shouldn't place him on any line because of the last 2 seasons' data. He needs to play on the top line with one of Miller or Petey. That's where he's the most valuable imo. 

Boeser’s biggest issue is his desire to be as heavy as possible.  He needs to play at 190 and not his current 210.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We've all seen your endless comments about his weight, Alf. 

Here’s one more.  Boeser is a “fats hobbits”.  

If Boeser was at 190 he’d be a heck of a player.  At 210 he’s an okay player. 

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Some other takeaways:

Blender likely will be used in training camp instead as Boudreau knows that the purpose of camp isn't too audition guys for depth roles only to gift jobs to AHL trash anyway.  We haven't had a camp ran by actual coaches in a long time and a lot of us have forgotten what it's like.  Boudreau also prefers to use set lines and not change them for no reason unlike the idiot he replaced.

Edited by King Heffy

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Here’s one more.  Boeser is a “fats hobbits”.  

If Boeser was at 190 he’d be a heck of a player.  At 210 he’s an okay player. 

In my opinion it gets less funny the more you push it. But I can definitely see the other side of the argument, that after a certain point it gets so ridiculous that it's funny again. I believe it was Seth McFarlane I heard talk about this in an interview. Like with Peter scraping his knee or the chicken fights. I dunno man, in this case it's just getting boring I find.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

In my opinion it gets less funny the more you push it. But I can definitely see the other side of the argument, that after a certain point it gets so ridiculous that it's funny again. I believe it was Seth McFarlane I heard talk about this in an interview. Like with Peter scraping his knee or the chicken fights. I dunno man, in this case it's just getting boring I find.

BB is definitely not "fat" :lol: 

I still think he had a groin strain most of last season, if he's fully healthy this season I expect to see a much more engaged player. 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:17 AM, Pure961089 said:

Nah, Boudreau likes his 3 deep Centres. Until JTM is traded he will run Miller, Pettersson and Horvat.

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolkin

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Lazar - Joshua

Myers played like a top 4 D under Boudreau 

I think so too.  They eed Petey to be a cman and there's no point in sheltering him any longer

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

BB is definitely not "fat" :lol: 

I still think he had a groin strain most of last season, if he's fully healthy this season I expect to see a much more engaged player. 

he'snot fat, for sure, but he'd be a much better player at 190

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Kuz Miller Garland

Mik Petey Podz

Pearson Bo Boeser

Joshua Lazar Lockwood

Dickenson

Hoglander has to fit in there somewhere. if he plays with Petey and Podz he could fit realy well on a 2nd or 3rd line.  He has too much potential not to play him in our middle 9.  If I had to make a choice I'd have to pick Pearson as our odd man out of the top 9

Edited by Pure961089

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Hoglander has to fit in there somewhere. if he plays with Petey and Podz he could fit realy well on a 2nd or 3rd line.  He has too much potential not to play him in our middle 9.  If I had to make a choice I'd have to pick Pearson as our odd man out of the top 9

Sadly, once they signed Boeser, that pushes hoglander to 13th fwd........which I forgot.  He, Dickinson and Lockwood will probably platoon.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sadly, once they signed Boeser, that pushes hoglander to 13th fwd........which I forgot.  He, Dickinson and Lockwood will probably platoon.

hes too young and gifted to give up on just yet. but he needs to show Boudreau he belongs in the top 9 at training camp.  I think he can do it, just needs to bring some consistency tohis game.

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Hoglander has to prove himself anew. Rightfully so too. He must stay focused and be ready to follow the coaches instructions. I'd bet on him to do that.

Personally, I'd like to move Dickinson and his contract, right off the team. He looks like a player that just puts in enough effort to get by. Doubt he's moveable.

Brock needs to earn that pay he's getting now. Personally would have liked that #, a little lower. Who knows, maybe they tried. He even got a limited NTC. Wow.

Dickinson gives them some desperately needed depth at C, otherwise I'd agree

• Upvote 1