The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations for 2022-23

Rate this topic

Googlie

In terms of D lines these are the best pairings from a stats perspective (assuming Rathbone makes it into the top 6). These pairings were not used extensively in 2021-22 so it is a small sample size, but I'd like to see these tried as I think they all have natural chemistry:

OEL Schenn

(played 78 mins at ES, GF=8, GA=1, +7, Shots For = 46, Shots Against = 33, Shots For % = 58.2%)

Hughes Dermott

(played 28 mins at ES, GF = 3, no GA, +3, SF = 24, SA = 8, SF% = 75.0%)

Rathbone Myers

(played 13 mins at ES, no GF, no GA, SF = 5, SA = 4, SF% = 55.6%)

I would like to see Hughes on PP1 and Rathbone on PP2

PK pairs of OEL-Schenn and Dermott-Myers

On 9/12/2022 at 10:40 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Personally I'm happy to have Pearson on the team.  If we have an injury on any line, he can move around and fill in the gaps with ease.  Every team needs a guy like him even if he's not flashy.

Plus, he's a pretty scrappy kind of guy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Load it up. None of this Travis Green roll 4 lines with no identity. I want 4 line each with defined roles. 

Scoring top 6. 

Pete Miller Brock

Kuzmenko Bo Garland

Grinding shut down bottom 6

Mikheyev Lazar Podkolzin

Dickinson Dakota Pearson

You've got Podkolzin on the 3rd line? 

Anyway, I'd wait till BB makes those choices. 

Sure, it's fun and all to speculate, but I'd rather see how it all plays out.. by itself. 

There are far too many elements that can come into play. 

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

You've got Podkolzin on the 3rd line? 

Anyway, I'd wait till BB makes those choices. 

Sure, it's fun and all to speculate, but I'd rather see how it all plays out.. by itself. 

Yes I do. He is young and I think it's important to develope his defensive game taking on top competition and hard matchups for him to reach his ceiling as a dominant top 6 player. The offense will come. But the foundation of his game is built on blue collar work. 

Miller is a good example. 

4 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I'd wait till BB makes those choices.

You come into the line combinations thread to say this. Why are tmyou even here

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

You come into the line combinations thread to say this. Why are tmyou even here

Wow. You must really have a boring life. Pathetic. 

The truth is... it's all speculation until reality rears its ugly face. 

Get over yourself. 

I’d play the top 9 a lot and focus in on a more offensive lineup. Play to the strengths of the players we have. 

My game-plan would be to overwhelm teams offensively since we aren’t nearly as talented on the defensive end as we are offensively. 

Mikheyev-Petey-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Miller-Pod

Hog-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Lazar-Dicky

Mikheyev’s size and speed will help create space and 2nd chance opportunities for Petey/Boeser. Also his defensive play will help that line out giving them more possession time. 

Teams will focus in on Miller and Kuzmenko has the talent to take advantage offensively when the do. Former teammate of Pod too. Pod helps by creating space and finishing. It might be a toughest line to handle below the hash marks since all 3 guys aren’t afraid to go there. 

Horvat and Garland are both mini-drivers offensively and Bo can also be a finisher. Hog/Garland have chemistry from PP2 last year. Bo needs to fill in the gap with his size offensively and this line could do well. I think they’d be alright though with teams keying in on Petey’s/Miller’s line defensively. 

4th line handles a lot of defensive responsibility 5v5. Dicky being a lefty can take draws on his strong side and gives a little insurance if Lazar gets waived out. 

You could interchange Hog/Pearson if you wanted more size, defensive play and familiarity with Horvat but I’d prefer not to see Hog on the 4th line with defensive players. 

I think a lot of people assume our new forwards are going to be great, when it is as yet unproven, and there's not enough to push vets too far down the lineup.

Hoglander may get caught in the cap crunch and start in the A as he can be sent down without being exposed to the waiver wire, even though he is probably good enough to make the team again.

I also think we will see BB sort a lot of this out in camp, and have a good idea of where everybody fits before the season starts (TG: please take note).

And he will adjust lines for: home vs road games; who the opponent is; what matchups he wants in game and changes in game, etc.

It is too early to guess at line combos just yet, imo.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I really wanna see Mikheyev get a shot with Petey.

Ilya brings such unique attributes, I feel like he could do alot of grunt work for EP. Then throw Boeser on the other wing & you could have all the boxes checked.

I think that line would be a good fit. 

Size/speed of Mikheyev would cause issues for teams that would be focusing in on Petey which in turn would allow Boeser to carefully find those soft spots. 

Boeser IMO is at his best as an allusive finisher and if time/space is created by Mikheyev then Petey will find Boeser a lot easier. 

The defensive and forechecking play of Mikheyev will also help that line maintain possession. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Wow. You must really have a boring life. Pathetic. 

The truth is... it's all speculation until reality rears its ugly face. 

Get over yourself. 

lol this is an odd statement coming from the guy who comes into the speculation line combos tread to say wait to see what BB does. 

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

So something in the range of: 

Kuz Miller Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Mik Petterson Podz

Dickie Lazar Hogs/Joshua/Lockwood

I like this but my caveat is that I would like to see us stack the top 6 and have a grinding bottom 6. I would like to see Bo given a chance in his contract year to really come into his own now that we have some great wingers for him to work with. 

regular season. 

Pete Miller Brock

Kuzmenko Bo Garland 

Let them play offence get teams on their heels. 

Grind their top lines with 

Mikheyev Lazar Pod

Dicki Dakota Pearson 

hit everything "let em know youre there"

Id like to see Podkolzin gain confidence by taking on top competition night after night and making life hard on them. Thats how we develop him into a better Nichushkin. 

Edited by hammertime