The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks move up 8 spots in NHL Front Office Confidence Rankings

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

It's definitely a shot in the arm from the blunders of Benning (Weisbrod)...from the drafts, internal organizational hierarchy, team communications, free agency...

What will keep them there or move up will be shrewd moves to shore up the D and what they'll do with Miller/Horvat.

Edited by BureBurrito
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

It's definitely a shot in the arm from the blunders of Benning (Weisbrod)...from the drafts, internal organizational hierarchy, team communications, free agency...

What will keep them there or move up will be shrewd moves to shore up the D and what they'll do with Miller/Horvat.

I predicted he'd get the team to the middle (worst spot, no high picks, no cup contention) when he got hired and signed Miller & Vrbata instead of blowing it up.  I didn't know just how bad he'd be.  

It's a hell of a hard job to turn a mediocre team into a good one, but it's so nice to see a big team of intelligent people get assembled to do the task.

For comparison, here’s Vancouver’s card for last year:

8538AC45-08B0-4930-8E80-CECEE5E6C9D0.thumb.jpeg.790876d43ed0978586c0b88f4f240a97.jpeg

Personally, I think the slight downgrade in “draft and develop” isn’t really warranted. I’d rate our last draft on par with previous ones, especially given the pick volume and draft position. And the staffing changes and reinvestment in the department gives me much more confidence today, when it comes to the development side of the equation.

I also think the sizeable upgrade in “cap management” is largely unearned (at least to-date). It’s good that management talks about wanting to clear salary and better manage the cap, but they’ve yet to really make significant headway in these areas, so I’d probably only give them a modest improvement.

Wholeheartedly agree with the big step up in “vision.” 

And overall, I think most of these upgrades in confidence are well-earned.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 1

I'm of the opinion that by focusing on office positions and the personnel who fill those positions the team is putting itself in a better position to improve its on ice team tenfold over the next couple of seasons.

One of the glaring problems of the Benning era that many people forget about is how small the management team truly was. The team was tiny compared to many markets of the same size. The scouting department was very insular, Benning/Weisbrod/Gear basically made up the GM/AGM ranks, and the analytics department seemed to be banished into the basement. Not to mention that the Canucks lost a lot of talented front office people over the years including Judd Brackett and losing our top sleep doctors to other teams in other leagues (I think the sleep doctor who helped the Canucks during the President Cup trophy days got poached by the Golden State Warriors)... and Benning seemed content to not just lose these people (or in the case of Brackett, push him out) but he never really bothered trying to replace these people.

With Rutherford/Allvin, we're seeing a whole new management style. One that mirrors what Gillis was doing in the early 2010's although with a more progressive angle to it. The Canucks hired the first two female AGM's since the 90's. Two AGMs that are highly touted hockey minds who seemed to not be getting opportunities because of their gender. They added structure to front office too. Rutherford is President, Allvin is the GM, Clancey/Castonguay/Granato are AGMs. Beefed up the analytics. Gave Ryan Johnson greater ability to run the Abbotsford Canucks (I was critical of Johnson as the Abby/Utica GM in the past but after it came out how much Benning/Weisbrod handcuffed his ability to do his job, I've totally changed my tune on what he did. He was trying to make full dollar AHL deals with nickle and dimes). Hell, even the move of replacing Curtis Sanford with Marko Torenius is genius. Torenius is the Finnish goalie guru who left the KHL because of the war who helped turn Shesterkin into a beast and was mentoring Askarov at SKA... Torenius might only be in the organization for a year or two (I wouldn't be shocked if Torenius is scooped up by a NHL team to be their goalie coach in a year or two) but its moves like this that will not only help the team now but possibly in the future depending on how his impact is felt. I mean, we should also be excited that the Canucks hired Dawn Baird's (widely considered to be the best skating coach working with NHL players) son MacKenzie to be the skating coach for the Abby Canucks. It's small smart hires like this that takes a floundering franchise from going to mediocre to good to great... it'll just take time for all of these moves to pay off.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:59 AM, CanadianRugby said:

https://theathletic.com/3516625/2022/08/18/nhl-front-office-confidence-rankings?source=user-shared-article

Screen-Shot-2022-08-17-at-12_08.37-PM.thumb.png.b597e45b54eae6983a304eba47d0b25f.png

It was a long time coming. A very long time. In the previous six years, the Canucks never ranked higher than 25th in the league and were frequently much lower — generally regarded as one of the league’s absolute worst front offices. The Canucks made terrible decision after terrible decision before ownership finally saw the light. Jim Benning can’t hurt you anymore, Canucks fans.

The decision to let Benning go was way overdue and while the results haven’t manifested yet — partly due to the mess Benning left — confidence in Vancouver is already well on the rise. A staggering 92 percent of respondents have more confidence now than they did a year ago, giving the team higher marks across the board. The big key is a 4.0 for “vision,” something this franchise has sorely lacked for years under Benning. The team felt aimless at best and self-destructive at worst. Now, things are a bit clearer.

Still, there was some bemoaning that the new regime hasn’t quite hit a home run yet, fixing things around the edges more than anything. It takes a while to turn macaroni art into a masterpiece and it’ll be interesting to see what the Canucks picture looks like in a year’s time. But even the C average from the public is a huge step in the right direction.

First, this is still JB's team for the majority, 2nd taking it on a sample size and judging it from that?  JR and JB have got us to a place where we're getting oh so close to a cpl of D upgrades and depth which is whatever % done but we're not far away even if we lost JT, that would add to depth because you know we're going to get a decent amount for him or have his cap for someone else if we trade for picks/prospects.

Things are looking up finally, all the old broken aged guard is gone, even Luongo off the books.

Antsy waiting for it to see how it goes, c'mon training camp! 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, King Loui said:

As soon as Benning left everything completely changed for the better.  Finally there was light at the end of the tunnel

Yeah JR isn't saddled with the long list of contracts who were locked in by MG but I guess it's easy to forget that and like I said in another post, this is still JB's team for the majority and - Green last year we make the playoffs just like he said we would with this roster. 

No matter who took over that broken locked in for years disaster joke of a roster would have had to do all the same things... JR included, only an f'n idiot would think anyone else could circumvent contract laws, lots of hack online sites and a portion of Canucks fans seem to think so.

It's still good for a laugh though..  

Edited by iceman64

57 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah JR isn't saddled with the long list of contracts who were locked in by MG but I guess it's easy to forget that and like I said in another post, this is still JB's team for the majority and - Green last year we make the playoffs just like he said we would with this roster. 

No matter who took over that broken locked in for years disaster joke of a roster would have had to do all the same things... JR included, only an f'n idiot would think anyone else could circumvent contract laws, lots of hack online sites and a portion of Canucks fans seem to think so.

Almost every team in NHL can make the playoffs with the right coach.

So no, it’s not about Bennings team any longer.

Everything changed when Benning/Green got fired. Everything… Psychology is important.

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah JR isn't saddle?d with the long list of contracts who were locked in by MG but I guess it's easy to forget that and like I said in another post, this is still JB's team for the majority and - Green last year we make the playoffs just like he said we would with this roster. 

Benning was saddled by contracts he signed himself.  Ever since day one it was bad contract after bad contract, spending to the cap and finishing in the bottom 5..  Sbisa, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Gudbranson, Ferland, Roussel, Beagle, Gudbranson, Holtby...    

but Gillis

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Almost every team in NHL can make the playoffs with the right coach.

So no, it’s not about Bennings team any longer.

Everything changed when Benning/Green got fired. Everything… Psychology is important.

Bull$hit this is roster, not coaching ... Nice try though, everyone with the roster we had with any coach who could keep things simple but he was the rookie coach Canucks nation and media screamed blue murder for. 

Coaching aside we definitely had a pretty good roster to go on long winning streaks in the best league in the world last season. 

Until the core is gone, and the majority of the roster along with it that JB signed this is still his team. Like it or not..  :)

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, King Loui said:

Benning was saddled by contracts he signed himself.  Ever since day one it was bad contract after bad contract, spending to the cap and finishing in the bottom 5..  Sbisa, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Gudbranson, Ferland, Roussel, Beagle, Gudbranson, Holtby...    

but Gillis

Sure those moves were to keep a NHL team together win the Sedins so we could still sell tickets until the old guard was gone and that was Edler Tanev and Luongo (3 mil cap hit EVERY year... Until this year.. and every signing was to keep butts in the stands until it was.. 

What the f did everyone miss?! Or miss to out into the equation..  yikes... 

On 8/18/2022 at 11:59 AM, CanadianRugby said:

https://theathletic.com/3516625/2022/08/18/nhl-front-office-confidence-rankings?source=user-shared-article

Screen-Shot-2022-08-17-at-12_08.37-PM.thumb.png.b597e45b54eae6983a304eba47d0b25f.png

It was a long time coming. A very long time. In the previous six years, the Canucks never ranked higher than 25th in the league and were frequently much lower — generally regarded as one of the league’s absolute worst front offices. The Canucks made terrible decision after terrible decision before ownership finally saw the light. Jim Benning can’t hurt you anymore, Canucks fans.

The decision to let Benning go was way overdue and while the results haven’t manifested yet — partly due to the mess Benning left — confidence in Vancouver is already well on the rise. A staggering 92 percent of respondents have more confidence now than they did a year ago, giving the team higher marks across the board. The big key is a 4.0 for “vision,” something this franchise has sorely lacked for years under Benning. The team felt aimless at best and self-destructive at worst. Now, things are a bit clearer.

Still, there was some bemoaning that the new regime hasn’t quite hit a home run yet, fixing things around the edges more than anything. It takes a while to turn macaroni art into a masterpiece and it’ll be interesting to see what the Canucks picture looks like in a year’s time. But even the C average from the public is a huge step in the right direction.

That comment about the macaroni art is priceless.   Can't remember what media guy said "Yzerman (other GMs) is playing 5d chess, while JB is throwing macaroni art  on a plate just to see what will stick"  paraphrased.    THN - the Hockey News was super critical of JB the by about year 3.   Not at the start because with his re-tool mandate he actually did almost the best he could - we had no goalie, he signed Miller, we needed another top six winger - went hard after Iginla, didn't get him, and instead signed Vrbata, the second best forward available at the time.

After that though we're increasingly critical of what we were doing.   For 2-3 years.   Then EP arrived and things they stopped.   And after the bubble we're singing his praises.   Think he was 10th in voting that season for GM of the year. Which was his peak lol.   Average marks - average GM.   More or less.   Get that people aren't satisfied, but i'm also going to say that i doubt any GM we picked would of got good marks either. 

Team didn't have much of a choice but stick with what they had.    And nobody complained when we finished 7th overall.   2011 was still pretty fresh in our minds same with 2012.   Only two years later!   We went from a non playoff team with locker room issues, back to 7th.   It fooled management including Linden at the time, as well as ownership.   MG did a great job of keeping this team together ... unfortunately, it really wasn't a championship team ... back then 8th seeded then missing entirely after a cup, then 7th seeded LA did it again.   The Sedin team was a wonder during the regular season with Luongo and Schneider.   Without them - well Miller did his best and was more then decent.   But that team was for sure over the hill. 

I don't think any GM was going to make this work.   Why?  Because basically we started with all of Horvat and Hutton in the pipe.   Worst 8 years of drafting in club history - and i'd even say worst in league history over any 8 years any team.   Maybe a math wizard could make a study by my money is that we go on top.   And the strange thing, DET and SJ regularly were trading their firsts and seconds over the Nonis MG era ... we traded ONE first.   Thats it.   For Ballard whom we bought out (current cap hit would be over 6 million!).  

This team, that JB inherited, had one last hurrah and an 18ish year old Horvat was one of the best playoff performers.   That was MG only parting gift.   Expansion teams under the old rules was about where we stood as far as chances to start a new core lol.   And they got guys like Rick Nash, Kovi, Heatley (Stefan lol) etc.     Horvat is decent ... but nothing like some of the guys those clubs picks got them.   

Google worst drafts in Canucks history.  All of the top five, we're in the Nonis/MG era.   MG can be forgiven to a degree.   That team was going for it.   However six years ... COHO (10th overall) and 9th overall Horvat were the only guys to move the needle - and well simply not good enough.    Even with the good-great seasons we had during that era.   Burke and Nonis did the heavy lifting (and just to be fair Nonis also had a top 5 at least all time draft for us too, Schneider, Edler, Brown and Hansen, last draft we've seen any player 3rd and past move the needle).    

To me at least, any GM coming in after MG was going to fail.    Even Holland, the cream of the crop for 2 decades, couldn't do it for a 3rd time with Detroit, who is our best comp cycle wise.   Yzerman is cleaning it up.   And Holland is back to his old tricks in EDM. 

Edited by IBatch

The target for Gillis was diffent than the target for Benning. MG drafting was not good but the team he built was a great team for a number of seasons. His win record I doubt will ever be repeated and he came this close to taking the Cup.  I don't know how many trophies Vcr garnered during his time as GM but it was a lot. Presidents trophy x 2 SC game 7 and he was voted not 10th best GM but el suprimo by his pears. He new the team needed a rebuild as did Torts. Unfortunately ownwership felt they new better. He did leave the team with Markstrom, Horvat, Tanev, Hamhuis amongst others as well as the Sedin tied up on a reasonable contract, that team had one hurrah after he left. And the Benning stepped in to draft the likes of Virtanen and Juolevi.

Benning if he was there for another 8 years would never earn the accolades that MG earned.

What I HATE is those fans that judge the entire success of the team by it's drafting. I judge the team by success on the ice and winning. I doubt if there will ever be a folly like signing Ericksson to a long term Cap heavy contract, never. That signing hung around Benning like a bad smell for years, never mind the Beagles, Rousell, Tim Schaller was another beauty. JB/FA wasted 8 years of this franchise. I'll say this MG to his detrment was arrogant, super intelligent and too much or Aquaman to handle/endure. JB also fired Gilman and Brackett, they were no yes men and far to smart for him.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:40 PM, x00x said:

Sure hope they rank high, they mainly been focusing on office positions , than actually improving the hockey team as of yet, flames are gonna be amazing this comming season, they lost some, but gained hella more , /rip 

Sometimes less is more.

Young studs like Hughes Petey Bo Brock should all have better years, podz might have a sophomore slump but Demko will still be solid and here's to hoping Miller continues his dominance.

Remember our poor start last year is what sunk us.

A full year under BB is going to be great, don't sleep on the Canucks.

• Like 1