The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Virtanen to Oilers (PTO/1 year)

2 hours ago, Bell said:

With his legal troubles behind him hopefully he realizes this is his last shot.  Like him or hate him the guy has all the natural tools to be a very effective player.  

Unfortunately for him the brain is not one of the tools given. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

This needs to be a wakeup call for Jake. Either he commits himself to his craft, or moves on. I feel his lack of effort was a downer for the team, a frustration for the coach, and a waste of cap space for management and ownership... and the drama that followed him during his short career isn't ideal for anybody. 

Not guilty or otherwise, I'm just glad he's off the team. I really feel like a good group has been built here, and it doesn't need to be derailed by some wannabe with the maturity of a teenager and the mind of pebble.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/31/2022 at 3:51 PM, grandmaster said:

I still don’t understand why we bought him out. This is now affecting our Cap. 

If we did not have grounds to terminate his contract, then he should have been sent down to the AHL or put on some other leave, even if it meant still paying him. 

Huh?  The guy never came into camp in shape - and was acting like an entitled prick.   JB kept talking about character, and did the right thing as soon as this story broke.    What should have he done?   Let him into the locker room

with this hanging over his head?  Rape or no rape - JV reeped what he sowed, quite literally in this case.    With all the other stories coming out, the way some players act, like they are rock stars before they've accomplished squat,  this was one thing, that JB corrected and quickly,    Well not quick enough, should have cut bait a lot earlier.   JV might deserve a second chance, but his name is mud.   Just the fact he'd bring home a freaking kid, is gross enough.   Good grief, he'd be able to pick up anyone.   Puck bunnies or a cougar etc.    Act like a gentleman.   He did not.   And that is why he's gone.   Holland doesn't seem

to care much.   Neither did CHI.   Hockey needs chaperones maybe.   Because this culture or idiocy is a bit much.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, kloubek said:

This needs to be a wakeup call for Jake. Either he commits himself to his craft, or moves on. I feel his lack of effort was a downer for the team, a frustration for the coach, and a waste of cap space for management and ownership... and the drama that followed him during his short career isn't ideal for anybody. 

Not guilty or otherwise, I'm just glad he's off the team. I really feel like a good group has been built here, and it doesn't need to be derailed by some wannabe with the maturity of a teenager and the mind of pebble.

Horvat.  Miller.   JV... big difference isn't there?  

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's actually not his brain.    It's his morale compass. 

Moral. :)

Well, I kind of lumped his faults to his brain. That includes his relative lack of hockey IQ, his immaturity, his inability to push himself to be the star he could be, and yes... his moral compass. I said it before and will say it again - it's a real shame. He had the potential of being a really solid player, and even if he never hit his ceiling he at least could have been a 3rd line mainstay if he chose to be.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:51 PM, grandmaster said:

I still don’t understand why we bought him out. This is now affecting our Cap. 

If we did not have grounds to terminate his contract, then he should have been sent down to the AHL or put on some other leave, even if it meant still paying him. 

its was kind of a no win situation for the team. If he'd stayed on the 50 man roster its a distraction for the team all year, but I guess they could have waived him and then just sent him home. Benning also figured he could use the cap space.

Frankly we shouldn't have re-signed him in the first place and just moved him for anything but that wasn't in the card because of his high draft status.

Just a situation of crap choices all around. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Huh?  The guy never came into camp in shape - and was acting like an entitled prick.   JB kept talking about character, and did the right thing as soon as this story broke.    What should have he done?   Let him into the locker room

with this hanging over his head?  Rape or no rape - JV reeped what he sowed, quite literally in this case.    With all the other stories coming out, the way some players act, like they are rock stars before they've accomplished squat,  this was one thing, that JB corrected and quickly,    Well not quick enough, should have cut bait a lot earlier.   JV might deserve a second chance, but his name is mud.   Just the fact he'd bring home a freaking kid, is gross enough.   Good grief, he'd be able to pick up anyone.   Puck bunnies or a cougar etc.    Act like a gentleman.   He did not.   And that is why he's gone.   Holland doesn't seem

to care much.   Neither did CHI.   Hockey needs chaperones maybe.   Because this culture or idiocy is a bit much.   

You are not getting what I was saying and I’m not a JV fan either. I agree with what you said about him but buying him out is costing us a Cap penalty. He should have been kept off the roster by other means such as re-assignment to the minors or even just a suspension from the team. 

2 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Holland needs to be In a home. Ditch unless kassian and replace his cap with a bunch of bottom of the barrel guys..

Seen reports saying 4-5 teams are in on Jake. LOL

Wouldn't surprise me. He's prime aged, one of the faster skaters in the league, has shown he can provide complimentary offense in the past, has size and likely the motivation to actually use it given he'll be fighting for his NHL career. From a hockey standpoint he brings a lot of positive qualities for a guy who can likely be had cheap. Could easily see him slotting into a third or fourth line role somewhere. Middle six tweener at best but he's certainly got an appealing hockey toolbox. 

Edited by Coconuts

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise me. He's prime aged, one of the faster skaters in the league, has shown he can provide complimentary offense in the past, has size and likely the motivation to actually use it given he'll be fighting for his NHL career. From a hockey standpoint he brings a lot of positive qualities for a guy who can likely be had cheap. Could easily see him slotting into a third or fourth line role somewhere. Middle six tweener at best but he's certainly got an appealing hockey toolbox. 

All I know is players who give you the same consistent effort once every 6 games are not going to help your club in any way. We have gone though a decade having half a team like that haha!:P

9 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

All I know is players who give you the same consistent effort once every 6 games are not going to help your club in any way. We have gone though a decade having half a team like that haha!:P

I agree, but I also believe Jake will be more motivated than ever after having his ego and reputation take the hits they have over the past year and a half. NHL is where he wants to be, it's the meal ticket he dreamed of growing up. Sure, I could be wrong, but whoever signs him should realistically be getting a very motivated player cheap. 

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree, but I also believe Jake will be more motivated than ever after having his ego and reputation take the hits they have over the past year and a half. NHL is where he wants to be, it's the meal ticket he dreamed of growing up. Sure, I could be wrong, but whoever signs him should realistically be getting a very motivated player cheap. 

Even though you are just something that's filled with water and hangs from a tree... You may be right :lol:

It would be nice if he didn't pan out as everyone else will look past the facts and reasons why he's not here anymore and just lay into us for letting him go haha!