The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Virtanen to Oilers (PTO/1 year)

I still don’t understand why we bought him out. This is now affecting our Cap. 

If we did not have grounds to terminate his contract, then he should have been sent down to the AHL or put on some other leave, even if it meant still paying him. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I still don’t understand why we bought him out. This is now affecting our Cap. 

If we did not have grounds to terminate his contract, then he should have been sent down to the AHL or put on some other leave, even if it meant still paying him. 

unfortunately theres a lot about the jim benning era that we didn't understand. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

unfortunately theres a lot about the jim benning era that we didn't understand. 

Benning was the type of GM that could juggle

one ball at a time and that was drafting and scouting. Start throwing more at him and he couldn’t handle it.

Thats why ownership needed to hire (and keep) a President to oversee things. They would have recognized that and made the necessary additions to help him. Most likely why he made a better assistant GM.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Benning was the type of GM that could juggle

one ball at a time and that was drafting and scouting. Start throwing more at him and he couldn’t handle it.

Thats why ownership needed to hire (and keep) a President to oversee things. They would have recognized that and made the necessary additions to help him. Most likely why he made a better assistant GM.

I guess some people just truly aren't cut out to handle all the responsibilities of the GM position. 

Well, so be it.

The kid played his hand and played it poorly.

All that talent, speed, size and an amazing shot he just never utilized any of while in vancouver.  From first hand experience his off ice attitude was absolutely trash and as a human being I could care less about him.

from a hockey perspective, he's already burnt every possible bridge he could and this might be his last possible shot.  For such a small amount of money, if he is signed; this is about as low risk as it gets for the Oilers.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well, so be it.

The kid played his hand and played it poorly.

All that talent, speed, size and an amazing shot he just never utilized any of while in vancouver.  From first hand experience his off ice attitude was absolutely trash and as a human being I could care less about him.

from a hockey perspective, he's already burnt every possible bridge he could and this might be his last possible shot.  For such a small amount of money, if he is signed; this is about as low risk as it gets for the Oilers.

I don't care that he's getting a reclamation chance, just wish we didn't have to see him five times. You know he's going to do something stupid and head hunt someone on our roster.