The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That’s what happened with my Sopel jersey too, was on order and he signed with Chicago by the time it got back.

I also got a Höglander #36 jersey arrive just weeks before he changed to #21 

At least Sopel is a legend so it’s always a sweet jersey. And yeah I think most would agree Hogz should have kept the 36

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, x00x said:

ill drink to that ; ) love you JT and glad you love vancouver so much, that u took one for the team to stay

Gonna get cooked for this, but did he really take one for the team? Seems like he knew this was his best chance at cashing in. What are the odds he plays at a 100 point level again. Given he's previous best pace was barely 80. The open market was nearly a year away. He would have to replicate last season to make more than 8m per. 

The pessimist in me says he didn't wanna gamble on himself, took the most cash now. And good for him. He earned it. But I am not gonna pat him on the back and pretend he did us a solid. Mostly cause 8m was the max I would have been willing to do anyway. If he signed at 7.5m I'd have celebrated him as actually doing us a solid.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That’s what happened with my Sopel jersey too, was on order and he signed with Chicago by the time it got back.

I also got a Höglander #36 jersey arrive just weeks before he changed to #21 

Ouch, same kinda thing happened to me when I bought a #10 jersey for the Russian Rocket, in the summer of '95.....then the Nux signed Almo, and Bure went to #96 that next season.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Ouch, same kinda thing happened to me when I bought a #10 jersey for the Russian Rocket, in the summer of '95.....then the Nux signed Almo, and Bure went to #96 that next season.

I’m so on the fence with the Bure 96 jersey too it looks so good but it was so cursed. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

A cracker of a legend. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh. There have certainly been some strange injuries and histories in Canucks' lore.....Sopel cracker-back, Salo slapshot-nards, (man, I'm still wincing at that recollection), Luongo loaf-pinch, playoff game..... 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

In all seriousness it's not as bad as I thought it'd be contract wise, but I'm not a fan of the term. Looks like it was probably Miller's side that caved. 

But no, I'm not a Miller fan and I'm still skeptical of this contract and his ability to play up to it for the duration of it. I'm not here to rain on people's parade but I'm not obligated to like anything, if others want to that's fine. 

Realistically I won't be here as much or following the team as closely and I've already begun to care less since deciding to step back from hockey, which is why I wasn't in the Miller thread as much. 

On the personal side of things it’s important for everyone to spend their limited time on this planet doing things they love, regardless of what that is or what anyone else thinks about it. If watching hockey is no longer one of those things to you then it’s the right move and I wish you the best in the real world.

On the hockey side of things over the last 3 seasons Miller has been 12th in NHL scoring. His cap hit is now 50th in the league with his newly signed contract. That’s consistently putting up points for great value in comparison even if this last season he really broke out. I understand concerns of the term especially given how often we’ve been stuck with albatross anchor contracts when players don’t work out, but this happens to every team and even the good players who do work out taper off from their climax performances at the end of their last contracts in the NHL. It’s how the business works.

It feels like worrying about something that may or may not end up problematic. It’s possible we trade him for good value, it’s possible he consistently puts up serious numbers and yes it’s possible we’re stuck with an aging veteran player that makes too much money, but that’s not the only potential outcome. Regardless though I hope you take care.

• Cheers 2