The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol believe me i know.  Guess who i paid good money to watch in net?  Snow.  Cloutier.   Skudra.  Burke.  Potvin.  And well you guys who saw these games this year with "Bruce - there it IS!" back up Bob Essansa.   Who was actually pretty good but bald. 

I guess every GM has an achilles heel.  For Burke it was goalies.  (the one Cup win Burke has on his resume with the Ducks, he inherited that goalie from the previous regime).  

edit:  I don't want to sound like I thought Burke was an awful GM for us; he just couldn't get a goalie for us.  And people forget, he was GM of the Canucks *BEFORE* there was a cap & he was instructed by ownership to slash payroll.  That's one tough task (and other than goaltending lol), I thought he did a pretty darn good job).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I guess every GM has an achilles heel.  For Burke it was goalies.  (the one Cup win Burke has on his resume with the Ducks, he inherited that goalie from the previous regime).  

edit:  I don't want to sound like I thought Burke was an awful GM for us; he just couldn't get a goalie for us.  And people forget, he was GM of the Canucks *BEFORE* there was a cap & he was instructed by ownership to slash payroll.  That's one tough task (and other than goaltending lol), I thought he did a pretty darn good job).

Burke was around when Bure was drafted.   He did the footwork to make sure he was legal.   Then advised not to draft him "that's a small body gentleman".   I have a pretty clear understanding of our clubs history. 

And also know that it was his footwork and Nonis's that parlayed into the most regular season games won.   Regular season games.  The most post season games we ever won, have a lot to do with Quin and Linden.  

Edited by IBatch

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Burke was a top GM back then.   The WCE era was fading.   Go and check out what he did to create the finishing touches on that ANA team.   It's also why he got the big contract in TO as the top dog.   I love Burke.  He's awesome.  It truly is too bad that we never got a real number one goalie during his tenure with us but it wasn't for not trying either.   Potvin for sure was one.   It's just too bad.   That whole timeframe was tough and rough ... we should have been an up and coming team after 94...we weren't.  But at least it became the next two waves.    People are silly if they think JB had a chance.  He didn't.  21-32 teams ... goofy math right there.   And no Linden trade or for that matter anyone really.   At least now we have a number one goalie (and will say so was Essansa. so was Potvin!)  and a lot of forward depth the WCE era and Sedin era never had.... 

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I see that Severson is a strong RHD with good offensive numbers. HOWEVER, do we want a vet with a total of 4 games of NHL playoff experience in his career?

not sure thats a problem, or that we have a lot of options to choose from really. We need a couple of playoff appearances anyway to be ready for a contending run. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely... 

It's a team that can play with endless line combination. Match ups however they see fit and at any given time have the opportunity to play a line with goals in.

No doubt we all know our Achilles heel, but let's run with the horses this year, and see how bad/good we really are as a team, and then deal with that over the next two years. But this team is ready to play.

And all the talk from a few quarters about the team not reaching the play offs last season, is just noise....

What Bruce achieved with basically the same players as Green said just about everything that needed to be said, and the team has added a couple of players to that group. 

They are ready play...let em play.

for sure teams are going to try to exploit our d. How they assemble the pairings this year is a real pickle, but should make the pre-season pretty interesting. The F group I'm not worried about.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not sure thats a problem, or that we have a lot of options to choose from really. We need a couple of playoff appearances anyway to be ready for a contending run. 

True, he could grow with the team and become an asset when we truly contend the following years. I need to watch more of his game to know how I feel about it, though it seems like the consensus on this board is that he'd be a very solid add. 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Burke was a top GM back then.   The WCE era was fading.   Go and check out what he did to create the finishing touches on that ANA team.   It's also why he got the big contract in TO as the top dog.   I love Burke.  He's awesome.  It truly is too bad that we never got a real number one goalie during his tenure with us but it wasn't for not trying either.   Potvin for sure was one.   It's just too bad.   That whole timeframe was tough and rough ... we should have been an up and coming team after 94...we weren't.  But at least it became the next two waves.    People are silly if they think JB had a chance.  He didn't.  21-32 teams ... goofy math right there.   And no Linden trade or for that matter anyone really.   At least now we have a number one goalie (and will say so was Essansa. so was Potvin!)  and a lot of forward depth the WCE era and Sedin era never had.... 

Burke ridding of that albatross contract in the now well past his prime Federov was nothing short of brilliant.  Gave him more cap flexibility to build on his reuniting the Neidermayer brothers.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Burke ridding of that albatross contract in the now well past his prime Federov was nothing short of brilliant.  Gave him more cap flexibility to build on his reuniting the Neidermayer brothers.

It was his willingness to go full APE that won that team the cup.   Including our very own Brad May.   They were penalized 3-1.    And that team would

have destroyed Boston lol 2011.  

Even included Scott Thornton.   The last throwback team to win a cup was ANA

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for sure teams are going to try to exploit our d. How they assemble the pairings this year is a real pickle, but should make the pre-season pretty interesting. The F group I'm not worried about.

I think it'll be a bit of gun and run....

Unless we see new arrivals on D I expect the D pairings to be pretty much the same. Don't think Rathbone will be part of it, unless he has improved a lot defensively.

We'll see...

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Not sure it's been said. JT hates losing and he wants to win a cup. It bodes well for this club and it's fans that he sees enough here to extend and keep working towards that. We, and I, are all guilty at times worrying too much about numbers, contracts, contract lengths, etc. Just got to be pumped about having a hockey player like JT here. Can't wait for puck drop!

Yep.  Good grief.   Let's eat our cake now and enjoy it. 

• Cheers 4