The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Does anything not go as planned in your scenario or does everyone have bounce-back seasons and repeat career years? 

I'm not being critical,  just wondering if there's a scenario out there where some guys come dn to earth and/or have totally 'off' years and where does that leave us if it happens?

It probably will happen, imo.

Some guys coming down to earth and/or having totally off years, that is.

Marchand happens; but then, so does Thomas Gradin, or Mattias Ohlund, or Nazzy breaks out, or Bert for Trev.

It is sports entertainment, we don't need a sure thing to cheer for the best.

Planning for the worst is for management, not us rabid fans, lol.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm curious how 

OEL Hughes (Finally have a shooter next to Huggy)

Rathbone Schenn (Bone thugs n harmony)

Burr/Derm Myers (Hit squad)

Would look? Can Rathbone jump into an offensive role playing sheltered minutes to start?

Still think by the time the playoffs roll around we will need an established shut down D. Nic Hague or the like Ryan Graves, Gavrikov. To play alongside Myers when the games get more meaningful.  

Bone thugs n harmony!! Hahaha

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Nobody wants to acknowledge the unimaginable - a serious injury to Demko for 20+ games give or take would likely end our season.  Martin is a likeable guy, but putting our hopes on him as our depth in that position is definitely not without considerable risk.

Tbh isn't it the same with most teams, if not all, that you have a player or two, that your season relys on?

It would likely be a massive issue if Demko goes down. How well Martin would do is anybodys guess, but of course it would be felt severely. 

• Vintage 2

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm curious how 

Would look? Can Rathbone jump into an offensive role playing sheltered minutes to start?

Still think by the time the playoffs roll around we will need an established shut down D. Nic Hague or the like Ryan Graves, Gavrikov. To play alongside Myers when the games get more meaningful.  

If OEL/Hughes happens, I'm thinking;

Dermott - Myers 

Rathbone - Schenn

- Dermott is a good skater, conservative player, hopefully supports/covers for Myers gaffes

- Rathbone can be Hughes 2.0 for Schenn

• Vintage 2

11 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Nobody wants to acknowledge the unimaginable - a serious injury to Demko for 20+ games give or take would likely end our season.  Martin is a likeable guy, but putting our hopes on him as our depth in that position is definitely not without considerable risk.

As @spook007 said, in fairness, wouldn't this be the same for other teams?

Who does Tampa have behind Vasilevsky?

Could Vladar hold Calgary in?

Are the Rangers a playoff team without Shesterkin?

Is NSH without Saros?

exc. exc.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm curious how 

That’s some terrible looking bottom 4 pairing. We will be lucky if Demko makes it out of October in 1 piece playing behind those pairing.. outside of the top pair I think other team would feast on the bottom 4.. schenn is not capable of 2nd pairing by himself.. and Myers and dermott? That’s a disaster waiting to happen. People here are obsess with forcing OEL or Hughes to the right side and play them together.. but they don’t really look at how unbalance and poor that would make the bottom 2 pairing with the current players we have. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

That’s some terrible looking bottom 4 pairing. We will be lucky if Demko makes it out of October in 1 piece playing behind those pairing.. outside of the top pair I think other team would feast on the bottom 4.. schenn is not capable of 2nd pairing by himself.. and Myers and dermott? That’s a disaster waiting to happen. People here are obsess with forcing OEL or Hughes to the right side and play them together.. but they don’t really look at how unbalance and poor that would make the bottom 2 pairing with the current players we have. 

Yep.  This is a pre-season action to determine if it could work (and just a discussion).  

The idea of course, is to see if Rathbone can or is ready to take the next step.     Maybe not on our team - but it does show we have options.   Poolman of course also could be ok.   Dermott, OEL and QHs can play the right side.    What we need is another top four D.   Might be a lot easier to target a LHD and move one to the right side.    Rathbone ... Rathbone Myers?   Could be an adventure for sure lol.   Our third pairing isn't tragic as long as in this scenario by some magical hockey god stuff Rathbone is our Girard, or we can trade for our own version of Devon Toews and insert into the top four.    Our bottom pairing last year...not so great either was it.    Rathbone Poolman?    Who knows.    Dermott Poolman as is no?    OEL/Myers , QHs Schenn.    Meh.    If QHs/OEL can play 28-30 minutes a game ... then things might not be so bad.    Pronger, Lidstrom, Borque etc, etc used to play half a game.    

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Tbh isn't it the same with most teams, if not all, that you have a player or two, that your season relys on?

It would likely be a massive issue if Demko goes down. How well Martin would do is anybodys guess, but of course it would be felt severely. 

One more reason to have a deterrent on the squad.

C'mon Rags, package up Reaves with Lundkvist and we'll give you your 2023 3rd back, Garland and Ferland; whadaya say?

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

As @spook007 said, in fairness, wouldn't this be the same for other teams?

Who does Tampa have behind Vasilevsky?

Could Vladar hold Calgary in?

Are the Rangers a playoff team without Shesterkin?

Is NSH without Saros?

exc. exc.

You guys have fair points and to most 'average' or below average teams, an injury to the #1 goalie is a disaster.   

But to a true contender I don't see anywhere near the level of concern in their #2 guy stepping in simply because their d personnel is likely far superior to what we have and as JR has said repeatedly,  elite teams are not giving up the quality or quantity of scoring chances on a nightly basis that we did last year (even teams that may not be elite contenders, but are constructed better than we are would withstand the loss of their #1 more easily than us) - meaning a #2 guy could step in for a better team and actually have a chance at being successful because he wouldn't be getting shelled and hungout to dry by his defense. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

To be fair, no matter what side we have guys playing on, our D is imbalanced :lol:

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, no matter what side we have guys playing on, our D is imbalanced :lol:

that is true, but splitting OEL and Hughes at least give us 2 competent pairings that you can rotate in a tight game late with the lead.. while the right side is weak.. Hughes/Schenn is a very capable pairing. what is the reasoning to force OEL and Hughes on the same line?? if anything you can force OEL to the right side and have him with Rathbone or something at least that'll give you 2 pairings each with a capable defenseman on there rather than 1 capable pairing and then all question marks.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Not only do not want to see Larssen and Hughes paired up, I don't want to see them on the power play together. Hughes, regardless of his shot velocity to date,

should be on PP!, Larssen on PP2. Overall, It's a better system. Hopefully Boeser had a great off season training and his overall speed is improved because you

need everyone capable of getting back quick when using the 4 forwards and 1 D-man pp.

Larssen?

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

imo, we are woefully short of NHL-quality goalies past Demmer.

If he goes down, it won't be long before we are calling up guys who are not good enough.

Bigger hole than RHD, imo.

imo

This could be said for much of the NHL. If Demmer goes down for any extended period of time, it honestly doesn't matter who we call up. The way this defense is set up, we need Demko playing at the highest level. If he has a serious injury and misses significant time, that's essentially the season IMO. 

But again, that could be said for much of the league. If they wanted to fix that, they could have signed a vet in the offseason. That doesn't always work out well though, look at Halak last year, or BH the year before.

RHD is a massive glaring issue in this organization both short, and long term. I think it far outweighs the lack of a veteran backup or AHL goalie since we are least have a ton of talent in young goalies, and a world class goalie coach who could hopefully aid them in the unfortunate situation they need to try to hold down the fort longer then they should. 

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

One more reason to have a deterrent on the squad.

C'mon Rags, package up Reaves with Lundkvist and we'll give you your 2023 3rd back, Garland and Ferland; whadaya say?

I've always been in favour of a deterent on the team. 
I am looking very much forward to see, how Joshua fares. And hopefully Schenn will be there again, unless we have another Dman, who can drop them. 

I know the issue is, deterents don't stop them taking cheap shot, but they don't take another if they are in the hospital...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

You guys have fair points and to most 'average' or below average teams, an injury to the #1 goalie is a disaster.   

But to a true contender I don't see anywhere near the level of concern in their #2 guy stepping in simply because their d personnel is likely far superior to what we have and as JR has said repeatedly,  elite teams are not giving up the quality or quantity of scoring chances on a nightly basis that we did last year (even teams that may not be elite contenders, but are constructed better than we are would withstand the loss of their #1 more easily than us) - meaning a #2 guy could step in for a better team and actually have a chance at being successful because he wouldn't be getting shelled and hungout to dry by his defense. 

Don't disagree on this...

In these cap times you can't really have it all, or at least need to be lucky with some of the 'cheaper' players. 
Most contending teams have a stronger D than ours, which in turn also means, should your starter go down, there is more protection for your no.2

The season may be over if Demko goes down, but there isn't really much we can do about that scenario, so I guess, with the boat we're in, we'll just have to hope he doesn't. 
The no. 2 did well when he came in for a few games, but so did a zambozi driver further East...

Its one of the reasons, I've wanted size on our back end forever... and if we can't get them through trades, then draft them (a bit late now). The two big hopes drafted OJ and Woo hasn't done it unfortunately. Really was hoping for Woo, but he doesn't seem to have progressed much. Disappointing, as he was exacactly, what we are needing (Bieksa type) earlier....

Edited by spook007
Spelling
  • Cheers 1