The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2022 Young Stars Tourney Thread

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I'm afraid his play in the Canucks 2022 Development Camp didn't exactly draw a glowing review from Faber:

Edit: I forgot about one more player. Left-shot defenceman Jackson van de Leest was in attendance as well.

He is very tall (6’7”) and was very clunky with the puck. He didn’t really stick out aside from his size and was one of the worst puck-handlers in the camp.

It looks like he is off to USports after playing out his WHL career with Calgary and Red Deer.

Well he won't look great skating with Canuck players? Van De Leest would be nervous and not relaxed.. Have to judge him more in Penticton..

I sure hope he fits in and just keeps his game simple..Flyers had him at camp last year? 

I will be cheering for him..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Well he won't look great skating with Canuck players? Van De Leest would be nervous and not relaxed.. Have to judge him more in Penticton..

I sure hope he fits in and just keeps his game simple..Flyers had him at camp last year? 

I will be cheering for him..

Hmmm.  Faber is decent though I agree he'd probably be neverous at a new camp.  Hopefully he shows better this weekend and we can get him in the system.  Big guys like him take a long time to develop and mature into their body.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Big guys like him take a long time to develop and mature into their body.

That they do.

My niece's son just turned 16 this summer and he is 6'6 and about 220 lbs. He is a Left shot D man and will be playing in the AJHL this fall. He has always been big for his age but this last growth spurt has really messed up his co-ordination. Time will tell if the co-ordination catches up to his body.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Exactly! Crazy part is, he's not done growing.  IMO these guys need even more reps/playing time to really get used to their ever growing bodies.  Limbs get longer? Stick handling and skating feels totally different.  Muscles get stronger?  Balance and timing feel off.

Chara was a big ol' pylon before he was Chara.  Reading Big Z's story and you know why he's been committed to his fitness.  

I'm gonna start sounding like a broken record but again, we need to be hoarding defense, of all types, and do whatever it takes for them developmentally to be successful.  We've found our stride in developing goalies and wingers.  We now need to extend that to defenceman and centers.

I absolutely can’t argue with this statement. I know that@Warhippy has been very vocal about how this must happen for us to truly be put into contender status. It begins with drafting and developing more RSD because no teams want to give up those highly coveted position players unless you trade away your first born and then some.

I love our goalie development, wingers especially the right winger depth is deep in our organization. We must focus our scouting and resources on developing D. It’s a position that takes a long time for players to be developed and if we want to win with the core we have, we better boogie-woogie to get some blue chip blue liners in our system. You are bang on Petey, but don’t stop playing that broken record until the team fixes this problem. It’s warranted if we want to be a championship caliber team. (Sorry folks this is a YoungStars thread,not to try & get off topic) 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I absolutely can’t argue with this statement. I know that@Warhippy has been very vocal about how this must happen for us to truly be put into contender status. It begins with drafting and developing more RSD because no teams want to give up those highly coveted position players unless you trade away your first born and then some.

I love our goalie development, wingers especially the right winger depth is deep in our organization. We must focus our scouting and resources on developing D. It’s a position that takes a long time for players to be developed and if we want to win with the core we have, we better boogie-woogie to get some blue chip blue liners in our system. You are bang on Petey, but don’t stop playing that broken record until the team fixes this problem. It’s warranted if we want to be a championship caliber team. (Sorry folks this is a YoungStars thread,not to try & get off topic) 

Developing Centres might not be a bad idea as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Developing Centres might not be a bad idea as well.

Absolutely Ghost, we do have some centres in our system. But the list of Carson Focht, Jackson Kunz, Jack Malone, Connor Lockhart and Daimon Gardner may or may not scream NHL C’s but I surely hope one of these mentioned (as well as Aman, Karlsson) can take their game and surprise us. I’m especially looking forward to watching Karlsson play this weekend.

Definitely need a Sutter/Malholtra shutdown 3C sometime in the future. With no disrespect to the three stud offensive centres we have on our roster. 

• Cheers 1