The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2022 Young Stars Tourney Thread

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

14 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Jett Woo on the list is interesting.  Hasn't he played 2 seasons pro?   They probably want him getting reps in before main camp so that he's really ready to go after coming back from injury.  Not going to look for him to stand out much but just be solid all around and a leader for the young guys.

I believe with the experience of him

and Focht being in the AHL for two seasons now, that those two will wear letters on their jerseys for this tournament. Agreed that I don’t seem above and beyond the competition, just get in game shape for main camp. This is his year to make big strides or running out of rope for development.

image.png

All on-ice practice sessions will be open to the public with complimentary admission to practices at the SOEC. All Canucks games during the Young Stars Classic Tournament will be streamed live on Canucks.com beginning Friday, September 16 when the Vancouver Canucks prospects take on the Calgary Flames prospects at 7:30 PM. 

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

image.png

All on-ice practice sessions will be open to the public with complimentary admission to practices at the SOEC. All Canucks games during the Young Stars Classic Tournament will be streamed live on Canucks.com beginning Friday, September 16 when the Vancouver Canucks prospects take on the Calgary Flames prospects at 7:30 PM. 

I know this sounds dorky, but I'll be in the GDT if there is one 

22 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I see Vancouver brought in Jackson Van Dee Leest -LD - 21-- 6'6, 230 lbs - played for Red Deer last season-- Big guy

Schmiemann - 21, 6'2, 200 LBS --D man -- He was Kamloops best D man last season - Least he is signed with Abby

Young -18, 6'3 G - PG Cougars- - 

Will be interesting to see how some of these new young guys look..

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I see Vancouver brought in Jackson Van Dee Leest -LD - 21-- 6'6, 230 lbs - played for Red Deer last season-- Big guy

Schmiemann - 21, 6'2, 200 LBS --D man -- He was Kamloops best D man last season - Least he is signed with Abby

Young -18, 6'3 G - PG Cougars- - 

Will be interesting to see how some of these new young guys look..

Great to see they're trying to leave no stone unturned when it comes to the defense pool. I'm quite curious about these guys too but not holding my breath.  We're all waiting for the next Tanev to come up with the new core.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Great to see they're trying to leave no stone unturned when it comes to the defense pool. I'm quite curious about these guys too but not holding my breath.  We're all waiting for the next Tanev to come up with the new core.

I am wondering about Van De Leest; how is his foot speed and mobility? Is it something the Canucks are evaluating or is it the processing of the game? I know next to nothing about this player.

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am wondering about Van De Leest; how is his foot speed and mobility? Is it something the Canucks are evaluating or is it the processing of the game? I know next to nothing about this player.

Same.  He's intriguing as he's been invited to the Flyers prospect camp last season. He's huge and plays a shut down game.  Apparently has good mobility and puck skills, with a bit of a mean streak.  If he shows well, he could very well find himself within our system.  Lord knows we need defense.

Also curious about Shmieman, who is apparently a great 2 way d.  Both these guys were captains of their teams.

2 more days until Canucks hockey is back!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm afraid his play in the Canucks 2022 Development Camp didn't exactly draw a glowing review from Faber:

Edit: I forgot about one more player. Left-shot defenceman Jackson van de Leest was in attendance as well.

He is very tall (6’7”) and was very clunky with the puck. He didn’t really stick out aside from his size and was one of the worst puck-handlers in the camp.

It looks like he is off to USports after playing out his WHL career with Calgary and Red Deer.

16 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Same.  He's intriguing as he's been invited to the Flyers prospect camp last season. He's huge and plays a shut down game.  Apparently has good mobility and puck skills, with a bit of a mean streak.  If he shows well, he could very well find himself within our system.  Lord knows we need defense.

Also curious about Shmieman, who is apparently a great 2 way d.  Both these guys were captains of their teams.

2 more days until Canucks hockey is back!

I watched Van De Leest 6'6, 225 lbs he was very solid D man with his size and aggressive play and grit nobody challenged him.

Cleared net finished checks and made simple plays decent skater.. Was massive last season in WHL at 6'6, 230 lbs.

Yes next step is big but hope he has a great camp and gets a contract for Abbotsford..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2