The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Queen Elizabeth ll

Hamhuis Hip Check

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

I'm wondering about the train.

Some poor bugger with a power washer and an antique spanner shoveling coal into a 100 year old steam engine

The train was also  favourite of her mother’s as well. 

Fitting that it’ll take Queen Elizabeth to London. 

Be interesting which train they use. I would have thought it would be the Princess Elizabeth. But that’s being overhauled. They may use one of the diesels, but the only active steam train with any significance for that journey that’s active that I can think off is the flying Scotsman 

Edited by UKNuck96

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Possibly. I reckon it’ll happen sooner than later. Charles isn’t a spring chicken either. ;)

He isn’t. It it took about 16 months for Elizabeth. It’s most likely to happen in the spring so sometime in may I would hazard a guess at 

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

Except that she is no longer Queen of Canada. Charles is now the King of Canada. The currency and postage stamps will bear his likeness. Protocol, you know.

Except Canada doesn’t have a king or queen.

There is no protocol that says we have to put any monarch on our currency.

Honour her legacy and leave her on there. Charles will have no legacy as king.

Ok.  
Now can we finally stop pretending that the royal family has any importance on us whatsoever?   

Also, let’s stop acting like this is any kind of sad event.   She was 96.  Lol. 
The only surprise here, is that the royal family has proven that enough money can successfully battle the effects of inbreeding 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Uh we do there bud. Legally anyways.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Except we do.  The King/Queen is our official head of state.  The only way that changes is through us making that change by unanimous consent in the House of Commons, the Senate and each of the provincial legislatures.  Getting unanimous consent on that level is a tough ask.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Do we even need to put Charles or William anywhere in our tradition or symbols.  The Queen was actually an integral piece of our history and growth as a Country, Charles and even less William, havent done anything for us really, except being the heir to QE2.  

I think we can have the whole monarchy in Canada discussion another day, but I think there are other deserving "home grown" heroes that could get such an honor before Charles and William.

interesting this coming so shortly after the  anniversary of Diana's death. quite a few reports of Charles being jealous of Di's fame

I don't know how much pull King Charles will have in Canada, but I'll bet he wants his face on as much money as he can get

maybe a limited edition $3 bill with Camilla's likeness

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Except we do.  The King/Queen is our official head of state.  The only way that changes is through us making that change by unanimous consent in the House of Commons, the Senate and each of the provincial legislatures.  Getting unanimous consent on that level is a tough ask.

It’s for ceremonial purposes now.

They have no influence over our country.

Just now, DeNiro said:

It’s for ceremonial purposes now.

They have no influence over our country.

Never said they did.  Ceremonial or not, they are the official head of state.  The Governor General is their "representative" here in Canada.  It is through them that their limited official duties are executed (federal election procedures for example).

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Legally no.

The monarchy is a figurehead at best. There’s nothing saying we have to put the monarch on our currency.

Way to go. When you are shown to be wrong, you just double down. Canada is a constitutional monarchy with the Queen or King the head of state. This is true no matter how much you want to believe it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1