The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Queen Elizabeth ll

Hamhuis Hip Check

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I didn’t. The songs were a call against the fascistic monarchy as a whole. 

What you missed is that many of us can rage against the machine through pop culture stuff, while respecting and honouring the Lady. 

You're simply not capable of removing yourself from idiotic contrarianism and your inanity, and unfortunately the Lady that many of us respect, and the thread that many of us are using temporarily in paying earned respect to, on the day she died.

You’re a mongrel feasting on the flesh of of bad news. The worst kind of person. 

May your life pass unnoticed, as I suspect it will, juxtaposed to a life well lived and adored in Queen Elizabeth. 

If you don’t understand the words I’m saying because it may be too difficult for a troglodyte such as you to understand, I’m suggesting that you go fuck yourself and leave the rest of us paying respect, be. 

I’m sorry my opinion has you flustered.  
But it’s understandable.  
You are in mourning obviously and quite short tempered.  
That’s my bad.   
You can post songs about the queen being a fascist moron and you are the coolest guy in town. 
I say who cares, and I’m the @sshole. 
Wipe your tears and give your head a shake. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Not much for the Monarchy however sad to see the old girl go.

She took over the throne in a time of great change in the world. 

The thing I admire about her the most is her love and loyalty to her husband.

She was advised not to marry Philip as he was " too funny" for her however she adored him and followed her heart. 

Love and loyalty, if you give and  get that from those in your life, that indicates to me you have had a successful life.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I was indifferent to her as a person. But honestly can’t stand the monarchy and the media hysteria that accompanies them. Unbearable.

96 is a good age to go and she lived a privileged life, albeit one I wouldn’t want myself. Perhaps best to leave it at that, but despite what the media would have you believe many folks north of the border simply don’t care.

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

https://www.richmond-news.com/local-news/video-remembering-the-day-queen-elizabeth-opened-the-massey-tunnel-5795524?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email

Video: Remembering the day Queen Elizabeth opened the Massey Tunnel

As the world mourns the death of Queen Elizabeth II, the Richmond News looks back on the day Her Majesty cut the ribbon at The Tube in 1959.

The tunnel looks unchanged from today. Lol. 
Edited by Jaimito

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/queen-elizabeth-to-remain-on-canadian-cash-for-years-to-come-1.1816492.amp.html 

No plans to remove the queen from our currency and also no requirement to.

Heard on the radio there are only 3 mints that handle the image of the queen on currency.

Your, ours and theirs. 

Apparently ours has been preparing for a while for this.

Was also listening to all the other " little" changes to uniforms. 

Elisabeth's crown was different to her father's and Victoria's.

21 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

This was Dublin today...

Bad blood runs deep.

https://www.politico.eu/article/6-times-the-irish-learned-not-to-trust-london-history-brexit/amp/

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2019/02/how-britains-dark-history-with-ireland-haunts-brexit

Rugby fans in Britain will be familiar with Irish fans singing “The Fields of Athenry” during matches – the first verse is worth noting for its reference to the criminalisation and deportation of starving Irish people for the crime of stealing food: “For you stole Trevelyan’s corn… So the young might see the morn… Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay”

So devastating was the famine, that Ireland is the only country in Europe with a lower population today than in 1840. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Interesting. Why would it take so long? Do you have any information that could help us understand the delay? 

Charles is obviously King as of today and the funeral will happen within 10 days, but I’m wondering why there’s such a delay in the coronation? 

Does it have to do with bank holidays? 

It’s also to do with the weather, typically royal events are held in spring/summer to ensure there is best possible weather. Pomp and pageantry doesn’t work so well when it’s cold wet raining and blowing a gale from the north east 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I rarely tread lightly.  
It is one of my best and worst qualities.  

I also refuse to believe that people actually get sad over this, outside of her family and a handful of employees 

Then I don’t think you understand the importance of the queen, not just the person but to the British psyche. She has been a rock a consistent in changing times, whatever happened we had the queen. One person one institution for most peoples lives. She is part of our culture and tradition. 

many people here while not a fan of the monarchy have said they were surprised how they felt so it’s more than just a person. 

while she was a stickler for tradition she was not above changing things when needed.  Even the most ardent supporters  republican groups in the uk have said now is not the time for this discussion. 

BBC announcement - this is Huw Edwards announcing her death on the bbc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

image.png.78f1790d16f274606343a6e41b960d43.png

She did a few other puck drops as well, there is also a few stories from people who she has spoken to about hockey (Erik Janssen). While she probably wasn't an enthusiast she seems to have enjoyed the sport, and done her research before dropping the puck at GM place 

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

https://www.richmond-news.com/local-news/video-remembering-the-day-queen-elizabeth-opened-the-massey-tunnel-5795524?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email

Video: Remembering the day Queen Elizabeth opened the Massey Tunnel

As the world mourns the death of Queen Elizabeth II, the Richmond News looks back on the day Her Majesty cut the ribbon at The Tube in 1959.

The tunnel looks unchanged from today. Lol. 

Outside of the lights and cosmetic changes, it is unchanged.