The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minor uniform change to stripes on pants

Rate this topic

BMorrison 7

2 hours ago, thrago said:

I really like the skate jersey, but it's mostly the color scheme more then the skate although the skate is at least hockey related.  The current color scheme isn't great and the Orca is terrible, not only is it silly looking it makes no sense Orca's are found everywhere there is an Ocean, has nothing to do with Vancouver 90% of the planet is water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca

Orcas are found in all oceans and most seas. Due to their enormous range, numbers, and density, relative distribution is difficult to estimate,[42] but they clearly prefer higher latitudes and coastal areas over pelagic environments.[43] Areas which serve as major study sites for the species include the coasts of Iceland, Norway, the Valdes Peninsula of Argentina, the Crozet Islands, New Zealand and parts of the west coast of North America, from California to Alaska.[44] Systematic surveys indicate the highest densities of orcas (>0.40 individuals per 100 km2) in the northeast Atlantic around the Norwegian coast, in the north Pacific along the Aleutian Islands, the Gulf of Alaska and in the Southern Ocean off much of the coast of Antarctica. They are considered "common" (0.20–0.40 individuals per 100 km2) in the eastern Pacific along the coasts of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon, in the North Atlantic Ocean around Iceland and the Faroe Islands.[42]

They are found in all oceans, but there are only a handful of places where they are considered "common".  The British Columbia coast is one of them. Why is there any argument to not consider the Orca as an animal logo for a sports team in BC?   Add to that, our own Haida aboriginal art known worldwide, that has honoured the Orca, and is part of the lore of this land for centuries.

I get there are arguments about the design flaws, or colours, but we are actually way more true to our place than many other sports franchises with their choice of animal logo.

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, thrago said:

Other teams having jerseys that make no sense doesn't make it any better. The most ridiculous being the Penguins although the reason they used that is the Civic arena nicknamed the Igloo for it's looks is the reason.  Still makes little to no sense but at least they are consistent as are the others in that they use Penguins as there team name as do the sharks, the Fames and the Maple leafs. What does a whale have to do with a Canuck (Slang for Canadian)? Although you could say Skates don't go with Canucks either but they kind of do as Skates are used in Canada's most popular sport Hockey which is what they play.  But I do agree with your point other teams have dumb logos too.

or maybe your expectations are dumb. how many different hockey themed team names and logos can you come up with?

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Personally, I think we ought to be thinking outside of the box when it comes to designing a new jersey..................

image.jpeg.a66d2cb683601cb5c5cf38fb52bf644d.jpegimage.jpeg.10759764dd43de3beec50c6598c666f5.jpegimage.jpeg.c8f9b49cb46e3ffdd9950a80f1d622b6.jpegThe best beer league jerseys we've ever seen, ranked - Article - Bardownimage.jpeg.f8c58c49564689ebb68098d618fa9658.jpegFunny Ice Hockey Jerseys Flash Sales, 57% OFF | www.colegiogamarra.comFunny Ice Hockey Jerseys Clearance, 59% OFF | www.colegiogamarra.comFunny Hockey Jerseys Sale Online, 55% OFF | www.colegiogamarra.comChristmas Hockey Jerseys Custom Funny New Design Ice Hockey Jersey - Buy Funny  Hockey Shirts,Custom New Hockey Jersey,Christmas Hockey Jerseys Product on  Alibaba.com52 Comic Hockey Jersey's ideas | hockey jersey, hockey, jerseyweird hockey jerseys Off 59% - wuuproduction.com

I'd love it if they wore an actual "fun" jersey in a game. Halloween, Christmas, St. Patties and so on. They'd sell, just wear the damn things during the game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd love it if they wore an actual "fun" jersey in a game. Halloween, Christmas, St. Patties and so on. They'd sell, just wear the damn things during the game. 

Miller "we should wear these every home game "  Bieksa " a lot of us wanted to and asked to wear the skate but they wouldn't let us" ...   why?  Because it was fun. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Miller "we should wear these every home game "  Bieksa " a lot of us wanted to and asked to wear the skate but they wouldn't let us" ...   why?  Because it was fun. 

Hockey gets knocked a bit for it's athletes being a bit more on the boring side but part of the problem is the culture. Doesn't just come from the room or the players, or the staff, it comes down from those in charge. I wish NHL organizations would try to be more fun. Not the fake marketing fun either. 

Let em wear the silly jerseys, let em loosen up in interviews. Having characters like Subban, Bryzgalov, and so on is good for the game. Players being actual people is often memed, fans love that stuff. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

As a big fan of not having stripes on pants, great change. 

Something about horizontal, vertical, horizontal that makes me sea sick

yeah, it looks really clashy with the perpendicular lines. glad they got rid of them. 

3 hours ago, tas said:

what about sharks? bruins? penguins? flames? maple leafs? how are any of those specific to the cities they represent?

I could go on down the list but I think I've made my point. 

Well...great white sharks are found aplenty in San Fran harbour (though San Jose is about 60 miles in land from San Fran)...Penguins original home was called the Igloo...Flames was a carryover from Atlanta, so no real connection to the city (though who says there has to be a connection?)...Bruins - no connection, but again, does there really need to be a connection?...Maple Leafs - "leafs" is a made up word. Should be leaves. Which is what I like best about the Leafs when they come to Vancouver.

Side note and totally irrelevant to this thread: Hartford Whalers had nothing to do with whales.  It was named after the World Hockey Association.  WHA-lers.  Original whale logo and "W, H, and whale tale" logo was simply an off shoot of the name Whalers.  And Hartford wasn't Hartford to begin with...it was the New England Whalers to begin with.  And Hartford played in Springfield, Mass for a couple of seasons when the roof of the Hartford Civic Convention Center came down.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hockey gets knocked a bit for it's athletes being a bit more on the boring side but part of the problem is the culture. Doesn't just come from the room or the players, or the staff, it comes down from those in charge. I wish NHL organizations would try to be more fun. Not the fake marketing fun either. 

Let em wear the silly jerseys, let em loosen up in interviews. Having characters like Subban, Bryzgalov, and so on is good for the game. Players being actual people is often memed, fans love that stuff. 

You bet.   Hockey does have a culture of squashing this.   Ovi vs Crosby early on... Ovi scoring a goal and celebrating like he just won the cup, and Crosby scoring an important goal, skating to his teammates to celebrate quietly.   Ovi was knocked for this.   At least things have relaxed in that regard. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, thrago said:

Other teams having jerseys that make no sense doesn't make it any better. The most ridiculous being the Penguins although the reason they used that is the Civic arena nicknamed the Igloo for it's looks is the reason.  Still makes little to no sense but at least they are consistent as are the others in that they use Penguins as there team name as do the sharks, the Fames and the Maple leafs. What does a whale have to do with a Canuck (Slang for Canadian)? Although you could say Skates don't go with Canucks either but they kind of do as Skates are used in Canada's most popular sport Hockey which is what they play.  But I do agree with your point other teams have dumb logos too.

The Orca forms a C for Canucks. There's the very obvious "Canucks" reference. Just as the SiR does. Ignoring that doesn't make it go away. The Orca C represents both the team name and where the team plays. Just as the Flames and Flyers logos represent both the team name and where the team plays. 

So what does the Orca style logo have to do with Vancouver? First it's in a Haida style. Very Pacific Northwest. Second is the history of the Orca as tied to Vancouver. The Vancouver Aquarium was the first public aquarium in Canada. Second, Molly Doll was the first Orca to survive more than two days in captivity. Prior to this "killer whales" were widely viewed as just as dangerous to man as great white sharks.

Moby Doll enabled scientists to study, for the first time, the sound production of killer whales, which is foremost in importance for their lifestyle Woods Hole Oceaniographic Institution scientists William E. Schevill and William A. Watkins, pioneers in researching whale sounds traveled to Vancouver to study Moby Doll for two days. The orca gave them proof that killer whales used animal echolocation, and also showed that they did not need it when memory or daylight were sufficient. He also gave them evidence that killer whale echolocation was directionally focused, hypothetically by the melon.

Their study of Moby Doll's calls was also a scientific first. These were not the "whistle-like squeals" that could be produced simultaneously with echolocation by the other delphinids that had been studied. The killer whale's calls were pulses of clicks at a very fast repetition-rate, with strong harmonics.

A separate recording made by UBC scientist H.D. Fisher would, in 1978, have great significance for major orca researcher John Ford. It was the memory of this recording that enabled Ford to identify that Moby Doll had been a member of J Pod of the Southern Residents. Ford could hear that J Pod had a distinctive animal culture, passing their unique pod-specific dialect from generation to generation. He recently said, "It was a wonderful moment out there in the boat when I recognized the sounds coming from J Pod to be Moby Doll's signature sounds." "The calls Moby Doll made in 1964 - we still hear today from his kin group that still exists out there."

The aquariumhas played a significant role in the ground-breaking wild killer whale research in BC. John Ford, a respected researcher who focuses on orca vocalization, worked here for many years and they still fund a lot of the study. The Wild Killer Whale Adoption Program, which funds research, is also run out of the aquarium.

So the Orca has real world history with Vancouver. The world view of orcas was forever changed with the unintentional capture of Molly Doll by the Vancouver Aquarium. Not only did Vancouver become a central player in orca research, the orca was embraced by the city and became a world attraction. The orca was everywhere in Vancouver from t-shirts to ornaments, to post cards, to art, to sculptures. The orca became a symbol of Vancouver. 

• Cheers 3

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   Hockey does have a culture of squashing this.   Ovi vs Crosby early on... Ovi scoring a goal and celebrating like he just won the cup, and Crosby scoring an important goal, skating to his teammates to celebrate quietly.   Ovi was knocked for this.   At least things have relaxed in that regard. 

For sure, I remember people whining when Ovi did the hot stick celebration when he hit 50 than one year. Things have gotten better, it's gotta be one or the other though. You can't go out of your way to squash personality and individuality and simultaneously complain about NHL players being robots. 

12 hours ago, thrago said:

Does it matter ever since we went to the Orca, we've had one of the worst uniforms in hockey.

The current colours and the jersey and pants striping is what gives our uniforms credibility.

Stripeless pants in hockey is just plain cheap and lazy. From having one of the worst fonts in the league(and w/o a green outline), the corporately-inspired  Orca to now this. Unacceptable.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Muttley said:

A few Canuck players have never been afraid to let their opinions rip; Bieksa was up there. Kesler thought it was funny to walk around in his ginch when someone 

was being interviewed. Pettersson has the eye contact thing going so well nothing needs to be said. JT rambles and rambles. Bo is mega predictable. Garland is

a blast. Demko is smooth jazz all the way. Bruce there it is must be the most amicable coach in the world and I think we may have a dandy in kuzmenko in Chill time.

Yah, let them do their thing. It's good for the soul.

We've had characters throughout our history for sure, but as a whole hockey players are generally more subdued than athletes in other sports and it's a shame imo 

• Upvote 1