The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Serious' allegations of child abuse levelled against Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

...............and all this time I had been wondering why Aqua-Lini ignored the demise of our franchise and kept incompetants in place like JB & TG.  I thought it was simply another case of absentee landlord or him just using the Canucks as a tax writeoff but in fact he was pre-occupied thrusting all his energy on his family.   

Funny how The Truth eventually comes out!

8 hours ago, gurn said:

I expect this thread to be treated with the same respect-and lack thereof;  that was given to Jake Virtanen, during his trouble with the law.

Equality for all.

Wonder if this might explain why Jake "the Ripper" was given that inexplainable last contract extension, when any sane person could see he was an anchor to the team and needed to be traded. 

Perhaps, Frankie had a "soft-spot" for him (2 peas in a pod syndrome)

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

probably more like FA refuse to pay unexplained unreasonable expense.. i'm pretty sure child support only covers food shelter clothing basic necessities of child's life.. 48k computer flight tickets etc etc are not part of child support.. heck.. the computer alone probably is more than enough to pay for most of his univeristy tuition. it have nothing to do with being rich or not.. if you wanted nothing to do with me.. then why am i paying for your extra curricilar activity that's outside the scope of child support? i'm sure the ex wife gotten more than enough from the settlement back in 2013 to be set for life for herself and her kids.. she can't afford to pay any of the tuition and expense?

On the other hand, from what I’ve read, FA agreed to pay $12.5K per month support for each child, as well as cover all of their educational expenses, as part of the divorce settlement, but has been trying to reduce those payments, or refused/failed to pay the full amounts, for several years now.

Probably none of this happens if he’d just stuck with the terms and not tried to nickel and dime his ex-wife and kids (even if their personal spending habits seemed questionable). The children would likely have all completed their studies in a few more years and FA would be off the hook for any further payments to them.

Half a million bucks a year sounds like a lot of money to most of us, but I doubt it’s been much of a burden for FA and the Aquilini family (and it was one that would have ended soon enough anyway).

(Also have to imagine the Aquilinis would gladly pay that money now, and much more, if they could put the genie back in the bottle, when it comes to these abuse allegations.)

As for the allegations themselves, I’d like to know a lot more before really commenting either way, but my initial impression is that they sound more credible than not. I just find it really hard to imagine four adult children suddenly deciding to all lie and make up stories of physical and psychological abuse by their father and go so far as to put them in writing in the form of signed affidavits.

If they’re all lying, this puts them each at significant personal legal risk. And for very little gain, at least when it comes to affecting the outcome of this current legal matter (and their right to continue to receive financial support as “children of the marriage”).

And beyond any potential legal ramifications, making up these kinds of allegations would also likely estrange them from the entire Aquilini family, including their grandfather, Luigi. They’d likely be cut off and disowned completely and thereby eliminate any possibility of them receiving any future inheritance share of the multi-billion dollar Aquilini family fortune. 

These aren’t stupid people. If I’m remembering correctly, one of the kids is apparently getting his Master’s, another has competed a degree in mechanical engineering, and a third is in medical school. No matter how much they may hate their dad, I just don’t see how all four children could decide that their best course of action would be to file false legal documents in court, simply out of spite, to punish FA for trying to reduce their support payments.

However, if the allegations are true, I can easily understand how the children might decide to break their silence now, in reaction to their dad’s attempts to reduce or eliminate their support payments. If FA actually did the things they’re claiming he did, then those kids deserve every dollar (and more) that they’ve been getting out of FA. Even that ridiculous $48K computer.

Their father trying to get out of paying what he agreed to pay in the divorce settlement, and what these kids could easily (and justifiably IMO) feel is “owed” to them (after the abuse they claim to have suffered) could be the proverbial “straw that broke the camel’s back.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm waiting for more information but I'll be picking a new team to support if there's any truth to this and the team isn't sold.

Well said.   If the Child Beatings & Severe Physical, Emotional and Physiological Abuses caused by Frankie Aqua-Lini are/if in fact true, THERE WILL BE NO OPTION BUT TO SELL THE TEAM in disgrace and stick to the murky world of Leaky Condo Construction, as most "Normal' folks won't want to be within 10 feet of anything "Canucks".  It will damage the Canucks brand beyond repair!

For Sale GIF - For Sale GIFsDance Mocking GIF - Dance Mocking Balloon Man GIFsFire Sale Everything Must Go GIF - Fire Sale Everything Must Go Fire GIFsSell Sell Sell GIF - Jim Kramer GIFs

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

On the other hand, from what I’ve read, FA agreed to pay $12.5K per month support for each child, as well as cover all of their educational expenses, as part of the divorce settlement, but has been trying to reduce those payments, or refused/failed to pay the full amounts, for several years now.

Probably none of this happens if he’d just stuck with the terms and not tried to nickel and dime his ex-wife and kids (even if their personal spending habits seemed questionable). The children would likely have all completed their studies in a few more years and FA would be off the hook for any further payments to them.

Half a million bucks a year sounds like a lot of money to most of us, but I doubt it’s been much of a burden for FA and the Aquilini family (and it was one that would have ended soon enough anyway).

(Also have to imagine the Aquilinis would gladly pay that money now, and much more, if they could put the genie back in the bottle, when it comes to these abuse allegations.)

As for the allegations themselves, I’d like to know a lot more before really commenting either way, but my initial impression is that they sound more credible than not. I just find it really hard to imagine four adult children suddenly deciding to all lie and make up stories of physical and psychological abuse by their father and go so far as to put them in writing in the form of signed affidavits.

If they’re all lying, this puts them each at significant personal legal risk. And for very little gain, at least when it comes to affecting the outcome of this current legal matter (and their right to continue to receive financial support as “children of the marriage”).

And beyond any potential legal ramifications, making up these kinds of allegations would also likely estrange them from the entire Aquilini family, including their grandfather, Luigi. They’d likely be cut off and disowned completely and thereby eliminate any possibility of them receiving any future inheritance share of the multi-billion dollar Aquilini family fortune. 

These aren’t stupid people. If I’m remembering correctly, one of the kids is apparently getting his Master’s, another has competed a degree in mechanical engineering, and a third is in medical school. No matter how much they may hate their dad, I just don’t see how all four children could decide that their best course of action would be to file false legal documents in court, simply out of spite, to punish FA for trying to reduce their support payments.

However, if the allegations are true, I can easily understand how the children might decide to break their silence now, in reaction to their dad’s attempts to reduce or eliminate their support payments. If FA actually did the things they’re claiming he did, then those kids deserve every dollar (and more) that they’ve been getting out of FA. Even that ridiculous $48K computer.

Their father trying to get out of paying what he agreed to pay in the divorce settlement, and what these kids could easily (and justifiably IMO) feel is “owed” to them (after the abuse they claim to have suffered) could be the proverbial “straw that broke the camel’s back.”

i dunno i read the original child support is only until 19 years of age when the child are at home while studying and they were arguing he shouldn't have to pay the full amount when they are not at home with her. i mean if the original agreement was only till 19 years of age.. technically his obligation are over but he continued to pay up until august 2022 may it be lesser amount or not. 15k per child per month till they are 19 is an insane amount of child support regardless if he's rich or not.. that's almost 3-4x more than what a normal adult make in a month.. chances are FA prolly dished out some physical discipline.. a lot of countries parent still discipline their kids and is considered normal.. but i doubt it was as extreme as his kids claimed.. comes into the room to beat you till you wake up?? throwing a 5 year old across the room?? those seems exaggerated.. if i throw a 5 year old across the room.. i'm sure there'd be either some broken bones or signs of abuse on your body that people would notice.. or even requires hospital. again it may or may not be true i rather reserve my judgement till the court makes a decision rather than give death sentence based on allegations.. 

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, JoGuitar said:

Hmmm Child Support stops when kids become adults, Mom suddenly requires more money from Dad. 

False, support continues when kids pursue post secondary education. Support stops once a child is no longer dependent on the parent of majority access. Support can also continue when the child has a disability or illness that leads into adulthood, till a certain age

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno i read the original child support is only until 19 years of age when the child are at home while studying and they were arguing he shouldn't have to pay the full amount when they are not at home with her. i mean if the original agreement was only till 19 years of age.. technically his obligation are over but he continued to pay up until august 2022 may it be lesser amount or not. 15k per child per month till they are 19 is an insane amount of child support regardless if he's rich or not.. that's almost 3-4x more than what a normal adult make in a month.. chances are FA prolly dished out some physical discipline.. a lot of countries parent still discipline their kids and is considered normal.. but i doubt it was as extreme as his kids claimed.. comes into the room to beat you till you wake up?? throwing a 5 year old across the room?? those seems exaggerated.. if i throw a 5 year old across the room.. i'm sure there'd be either some broken bones or signs of abuse on your body that people would notice.. or even requires hospital. again it may or may not be true i rather reserve my judgement till the court makes a decision rather than give death sentence based on allegations.. 

19 years old is the general age, keyword generally. You don’t stop paying child support because you think it’s unfair, especially when your kids are still under the existing ordered that presumably was signed at the divorce. In order to change an existing order that you feel is unjust you have to file and application and wait for a first appearance in front of a judge. Not paying is also handled by FMEP in which they can garnish wages. 

Often a family case conference is called upon a judge and ruling is handled out afterwards but could be a gruelling and long process. 

This is just a case of a man with an absurd amount of money being childish for not even considering to put in an order to review his existing order. Refusing to pay any court ordered payments that is been in place is just being negligent to the whole situation. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Philthy said:

19 years old is the general age, keyword generally. You don’t stop paying child support because you think it’s unfair, especially when your kids are still under the existing ordered that presumably was signed at the divorce. In order to change an existing order that you feel is unjust you have to file and application and wait for a first appearance in front of a judge. Not paying is also handled by FMEP in which they can garnish wages. 

Often a family case conference is called upon a judge and ruling is handled out afterwards but could be a gruelling and long process. 

This is just a case of a man with an absurd amount of money being childish for not even considering to put in an order to review his existing order. Refusing to pay any court ordered payments that is been in place is just being negligent to the whole situation. 

i dunno i read they agreed to only pay until they are 19.. half a million a year is enough to put any kid thru university master doctor phd.. i'm sure he paid the child support part.. it's the extra expense that he's unwilling to pay because they are unexplained and "hidden" from him to hide the kids from him? this was from 2019

Tali’ah’s lawyer argues she maintains her home for the children even during the school year when they are away, and Francesco should be paying the previously agreed upon $12,500 per month for each child who lives with her, year-round, until they turn 19. After that, Francesco would only be obligated to pay the amount when the children are home from school.

she wants to be paid 37.5k a month to "maintain" the house even when there's no one there which was not the original agreement. on top of continue paying them till whenever they decide to finish school. if his kids are only taking 2 or 3 courses per semester and takes 7 years to finish something that takes a normal person 4 years to finish is he suppose to blindly pay the 12.5k per month per kid? i think he has the rights to see their progress and get explanation to the expense which i'm guessing have been refused.

Edited by wai_lai416

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno i read they agreed to only pay until they are 19.. half a million a year is enough to put any kid thru university master doctor phd.. i'm sure he paid the child support part.. it's the extra expense that he's unwilling to pay because they are unexplained and "hidden" from him to hide the kids from him?

Tali’ah’s lawyer argues she maintains her home for the children even during the school year when they are away, and Francesco should be paying the previously agreed upon $12,500 per month for each child who lives with her, year-round, until they turn 19.

After that, Francesco would only be obligated to pay the amount when the children are home from school.

Agreed to pay until their 19 is the general wording for every child support agreement.  
IF the child pursues post secondary education in this case the 3 children have, he’s obligated by BC Supreme Court to continue making payments due to the access and custody of the children of mother who was granted full access. No matter what the figure is that is the law. Your opinion can’t change that which is getting in the way of actually seeing that this is the law and ruling the court in this case, the court depicts fairness regardless of the dollar figure. 

He’s refusing payments due to having insufficient information on the children, baring because they have had minimal contact with him since 2013. 

Edit: These two links explain it more 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/divorce/family-justice/family-law/child-support/what-is-it

https://www.ylaw.ca/blog/how-to-change-a-child-support-order-in-bc/

Edited by Philthy
  • Thanks 1

My happy day was when I completed all my support payments. My FSW phoned and said they'd be returning some overpayment!  I cannot believe the numbers involved here. High monthly payments and wouldn't he be paying for there residence at school? And for those two terms they are not living in the family residence at all?

And I don't miss family court at all.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

20 minutes ago, Philthy said:

Agreed to pay until their 19 is the general wording for every child support agreement.  
IF the child purses post secondary education in this case the 3 children have, he’s obligated by BC Supreme Court to continue making payments due to the access and custody of the children of mother who’s was granted full access. No matter what the figure is that is the law. Your opinion can’t change that which is getting in the way of actually seeing that this is the law and ruling the court in this case, the court depicts fairness regardless of the dollar figure. 

He’s refusing payments due to having insufficient information on the children, baring because they have had minimal contact with him since 2013. 

i would refuse payment for additional expense too if i'm not given information regarding it. as for child support both side agreed aquilini have paid his child support up until august 2022.. they are arguing over $140k of additional expense and whether he has to continue paying them because all the information is hidden. i dunno the context of taking extended breaks from class.. i'm guessing skipping semester and so on.. so does that mean he have to continue paying them each month if they decides to skip semester drag things out and continue collecting 12.5k while on vacation? if that's the case i'm going to stay in school forever.. where else are you going to make 12.5k a month literally just for staying in school?

yes he's been fighting some payments over time but let's not go and pretend he hasn't paid his child support for years.. he's literally up to date minus the "extra" expense that haven't been explained to him yet

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Huggy Bear 1

16 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i would refuse payment for additional expense too if i'm not given information regarding it. as for child support both side agreed aquilini have paid his child support up until august 2022.. they are arguing over $140k of additional expense and whether he has to continue paying them because all the information is hidden. i dunno the context of taking extended breaks from class.. i'm guessing skipping semester and so on.. so does that mean he have to continue paying them each month if they decides to skip semester drag things out and continue collecting 12.5k while on vacation? if that's the case i'm going to stay in school forever.. where else are you going to make 12.5k a month literally just for staying in school?

yes he's been fighting some payments over time but let's not go and pretend he hasn't paid his child support for years.. he's literally up to date minus the "extra" expense that haven't been explained to him yet

The perks of being born into a wealthy family.

I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just stating that this is simply family law. Which is why he needs to make a claim to review his order. Instead he stopped making payments as of September 2021.

“She said that Francesco Aquilini had provided child support up until September 2021, but then stopped payments.”

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/serious-allegations-of-child-abuse-levelled-against-francesco-aquilini-by-ex-wifes-lawyer/wcm/49b83014-22e9-4a10-8a84-a2a1af65acef/amp/

“Every child in BC has a right to child support. Parents receive child support on behalf of the child. A parent can't refuse to pay child support simply because they don't like the other parent or don't approve of how the other parent will use the money. The law says the parent the children live with most of the time is entitled to get child support from the other parent. If the children spend equal (or almost equal) time with both parents, the person with the higher income usually has to pay child support.”

https://family.legalaid.bc.ca/finances-support/child-spousal-support/child-support

Look, I am a social worker here in Texas.  Curious if an investigation happened.  So many variables here.  An allegation is just an allegation. But families have their secrets.

In our day and age we want to support the kids. Sounds like they are functional adults and if this trauma actually happened they are strong.

But, I have seen crazy things happen when lots of money is involved.  Is this a shakedown? 

Are they unhappy of being disciplined? Has their mother poisoned their minds?  An allegation is just an allegation until it is properly investigated.  

As for the settlement with his ex-wife, you would think she would have brought forward the allegations then because it would be more advantageous by leveraging the allegations--I have seen this happen several times.

Thing is, an investigation needs to happen.  If there is no substance here then so be it.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3