The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Serious' allegations of child abuse levelled against Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

If this was, for example, the owner of your favourite restaurant, would you still eat there?

If there's legs behind this, that's the right thing to do, and there are other teams to support.

I followed what happened with the Phoenix Suns this past few weeks, and the players were so disgusted with the owner that it would have been hard for them to play well this season for that owner. If I were part of the Canucks organization, as a parent, it would be hard to work for a guy who did that kind of abuse that seems to be being corroborated by all the kids and still continues to deny it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Zhukini said:

Lol he better hope this is one hell of a team or the chants are right and only for him 

Who cares how the team is doing? If these allegations are true, there should be empty seats and any remaining fans should be calling for him to be selling the team to anyone who’s at least a half decent human being. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Divorce, kids, one spouse was significantly richer than the other, what can go wrong? 

What did that guy do? Obviously bad enough. But no real details. AQ disciplined his kids. Whoopy ding. 

After the loss, Suns majority owner Robert Sarver entered the coaches locker room, Watson told ESPN.

"You know, why does Draymond Green get to run up the court and say [N-word]," Sarver, who is white, allegedly said, repeating the N-word several times in a row.

"You can't say that," Watson, who is Black and Hispanic, told Sarver.

"Why?" Sarver replied. "Draymond Green says [N-word]."

"You can't f---ing say that," Watson said again.

The anecdote offers a glimpse into conduct that, sources told ESPN, Sarver has often exhibited since buying the Suns in 2004. Interviews with more than 70 former and current Suns employees throughout Sarver's 17-year tenure describe a toxic and sometimes hostile workplace under Sarver. Some told ESPN that he has used racially insensitive language repeatedly in the office. Employees recounted conduct they felt was inappropriate and misogynistic, including Sarver once passing around a picture of his wife in a bikini to employees and speaking about times his wife performed **** *** on him. Some said the longtime owner fostered an environment in which employees felt they were his property, even once asking one woman whether he "owned" her to determine whether she worked for the Suns.

"The level of misogyny and racism is beyond the pale," one Suns co-owner said about Sarver. "It's embarrassing as an owner."

Said a former Suns basketball executive: "There's literally nothing you could tell me about him from a misogynistic or race standpoint that would surprise me."

The behaviour that lead to the sanctions was purely verbal. I don't think there is a single incident where he put his hands on anyone.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, AV. said:

Perhaps.  As much as I appreciate some discussion around here, clicks lead to ad revenue (as you pointed out) and that would be no bueno.

I took a break from here during the last cba troubles, and will also consider leaving here now.

Seem to be doing  a bit of that  lately, anyway.

• Huggy Bear 2

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

Francesco is not the owner but simply the head. Luigi is the owner, another member of the family or someone else can be appointed it it gets that bad. The team is to valuable as a write off and profit for not only this business but others as well.

True, as it currently stands Luigi is the owner. So the worst of what would happen could be that Francesco steps down from the organization and one of the brothers takes over.

If the team had been passed down to the three brothers then Francesco could have been made to step down and sell his share to his brothers. So I doubt ownership changes from the Aquilini family.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Ok, I did some more reading and there's more information here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canucks-onwer-child-support-payments-1.6598208 

It's Aquilini's kids that are alleging the abuse and not the ex-wife. Here's an affidavit letter from one of Aquilini's children:

"The respondent [Francesco Aquilini] then forced all of us upstairs into our individual rooms, went to each room to physically abuse each child. I saw the respondent throw another child — at that time five years old — across the room. I locked myself in my bathroom. The respondent broke the lock and was throwing his body at the door to come in and beat me. I called the claimant [Tali'ah Aquilini] and asked her to hurry home, stating I was scared the respondent would kill me, and I was worried that he had already killed my younger siblings."

So unless there's something wrong with the kid's recollection or the kid's lying, that's pretty bad.

Wtf… 

I mean why would the kid lie. It’s their freaking father. It has to be true. 

Fire Aquilini may have some truth to it

• Like 1

Oh please. My grandpa beat my dad and uncle. Literally beat them.

U think they pressed charges?

This sounds like momma is trying get more money out of the billionaire.

Soft generation is soft

Anyway this isn't Canucks talk and I hope FA turns into a silent owner and steps away.

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Where is your life ruined in this?

23 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Where is your life ruined in this?

Fans cancelling their season tickets?. People protesting the Canucks? The Canucks aren’t about the owner. They are about the players and the fans. Cancelling the Canucks BS

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

And the correct place for your grandfather was prison.  It wasn't ok then and it wasn't ok now, but go ahead and defend criminal assault against children if that helps you feel better.

You know people lie in affidavits right lol...

Why has this never been brought up until now....... 

This has nothing to do with the Canucks anyway and the team doesn't need this distraction.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

And the correct place for your grandfather was prison.  It wasn't ok then and it isn't ok now, but go ahead and defend criminal assault against children if that helps you feel better.

Well, a lot of things were OK then. Child labor, child marriage etc. Blacks and women couldn't vote, Japanese Canadians got sent to camps etc.  But I agree with the OP that the young generation now are soft. 

10 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Soft generation is soft

Anyway this isn't Canucks talk and I hope FA turns into a silent owner and steps away.

You, sir, have a pile of rocks for brains.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Soft generation is soft

There is a difference between disciplining your kids and doing things like beating them up while they’re sleeping.

• Cheers 1