The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

She was doing the analytics grunt work.  The reason that she got so much attention as a hire was because she had her own podcast and so had lots of people that had heard about her.  The fact that she was another female being hired definitely brought a lot more eyeballs to her hire as well. 

If you were to look at her resume, you would see that she doesn't stay in one place more then one year and has a history of calling people dumb in the hockey world.  Her schooling includes just the most basic of stats/calculus courses, this is not some high-end analyst that we're losing. 

Good luck to her in the future, she's got two teams now that she can put on her resume and she's very young.  I'm sure that she'll land on her feet. 

Yeah, she did almost no work at all, considering the season hasn't even started. Regardless of her working history, this firing/employee departure does not look good on this regime. As you stated in a previous post, she seemed very antagonistic, perhaps doing so to get views/clickbaits.

The hiring of this person was a head scratching one. I honestly think this was one of the worst hires by this regime. At least they recognized it.

I don't know if she'll land on her feet, at least in the hockey world. This firing is a huge red flag, on top of the tweets that she used to make, but got scrubbed.

Edited by Dazzle

On 9/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, stawns said:

considering the team is mostly the same, no one is moving on from Bennings time here anytime soon.

Wait, I thought the regime was going to inject some fresh air into this team? The amount of mental hoops that people will go through to justify their flawed perspective is hilarious.

I knew a bit of her work as she occassionally would help out with "The Hockey News" magazine/website.

I blocked her originally because a lot of her takes were very bizarre and lacked a lot of information to back it up. The one tweet I remember blocking her originally for was stating Pettersson was overrated and wasn't as good - something of the like. She has her own hockey podcast as well and she states very hot takes at times. I won't say that is a testament to what she did in the Canucks because I obviously don't know at all, but based on my first impression of her, it wasn't very good to begin with and was already leary when we hired her.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/28/2022 at 11:07 AM, Odd. said:

Why hire her then fire her not even a full year later

Wonder if she leaked any team draft information. That or the previously mentioned meddling in other departments business might be a factor. She seemed like a nice woman but i've never worked with her. She's done a lot of media on youtube. She even use to have a podcast prior to get signed by the Canucks. Believe she was with one of the scouting services? I can't recall if it was elite prospects or dobber.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

She has been somewhat unprofessional in the past with some of her comments,

Yes, this is what was reported when she was hired. Apaprently there were a number of social media posts critical of specific Canuck players that were deleted from her account prior to the annoncement of her hiring.

In specific, Doerrie was allegedly casting doubt that Petey was njured at the end of the 2020-2021 season.

Or maybe she suffered the wrath of Quinn for trashing his brother

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, she did almost no work at all, considering the season hasn't even started. Regardless of her working history, this firing/employee departure does not look good on this regime. As you stated in a previous post, she seemed very antagonistic, perhaps doing so to get views/clickbaits.

The hiring of this person was a head scratching one. I honestly think this was one of the worst hires by this regime. At least they recognized it.

I don't know if she'll land on her feet, at least in the hockey world. This firing is a huge red flag, on top of the tweets that she used to make, but got scrubbed.

When you want to find the right stuff/people you need to be able to make errors too. If you do nothing nothing can go wrong. 
If she wasnt a good fit then you need to move on and find the right person for a specific role. I see nothing that makes this regime look bad because of this.

• Upvote 1

People are making too much of this. They hired several new people in the off-season; it's not surprising that one didn't work. This is not a seismic event; she was a relatively low-level employee. One thing I know, is if you do excellent work, people will be much more likely to tolerate any personality issues you might have. Publicly deriding people -- in a business she supposedly had ambitions of working in -- was a stupid thing to do. Not just because of the nature of the comments, but because stating them publicly demonstrated poor judgment. You are going to potentially -- at least partially-- sour some prospective employers against you just to impress some morons who have no juice whatsoever? I am surprised they hired her in the first place. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm fine with the separation.  New regime has had a draft and free-agency, and if this pre-season start and that Miller signing is any indication of the direction the team wants to go, well, we're going nowhere fast.  If that means recognizing the problem early and moving some personnel on, so be it.

What's a little bizarre to me is that some people are definitively assuming she was a bad fit or caused friction.  Perhaps this becomes the truth if it comes to light in time, but nothing has come out to suggest as much just yet.  More disturbingly, it seems to be coming from particular voices who required "more facts and more time" re: Virtanen, the owner, etc.  A bit of a double standard to assume the worst here without allowing or requiring that same level of time and information that other events have been, or are being given.  After all, just a week ago she was tipped to be doing some work with the coaching staff for this year, which appears to me this is more abrupt than premeditated.

Edited by AV.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I knew a bit of her work as she occassionally would help out with "The Hockey News" magazine/website.

I blocked her originally because a lot of her takes were very bizarre and lacked a lot of information to back it up. The one tweet I remember blocking her originally for was stating Pettersson was overrated and wasn't as good - something of the like. She has her own hockey podcast as well and she states very hot takes at times. I won't say that is a testament to what she did in the Canucks because I obviously don't know at all, but based on my first impression of her, it wasn't very good to begin with and was already leary when we hired her.

Lol wtf?

Maybe thar article flew under the radar for our Mgmt cause why would they Hire someone who would be that critical of one of our core players. 

Honesty is good in a workplace but she clearly was never a fit.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/rachel-doerrie-gone-from-canucks

Doerrie was dismissed by the Canucks, and that it’s believed the decision was made “at the highest levels of the organization.”

The 26-year-old Scarborough native added a new responsibility to her role in August, as an “assistant to the video coach.” Doerrie was with the team at training camp in Whistler, and was spotted taking video of the on-ice sessions.

Well that didn't last too long.  Eight months, and being let go right before the season starts.  Apparently, she had a going away party in her hometown Toronto just 3 months ago. She didn't have a prominent position that the other women that were hired for.  But its a bit of a mystery. "The highest levels"?