The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

One of Rachel Doerrie's legendary quotes:

“Either way you slice it, Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic are playing 5-D chess, and Jim Benning is gluing macaroni pieces to construction paper,” Doerrie said.

Regardless what you think about her she nailed it.

For some, this is considered "bad behaviour" and "unprofessional". :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, tas said:

yeah, i'd say it's pretty unprofessional -- or at the very least unbecoming and completely lacking any humility or self-awareness -- for a 25 year old with all of 3 years in the labour force to attempt to demean a person with decades of professional experience performing a role she could never dream of performing in the way she did. 

if benning is gluing macaroni to construction paper, then doerrie is still 10 years away from learning how to use safety scissors. 

Exactly!! I don’t know how anyone can’t see how immature & unprofessional this is, especially given her profession / the business she worked in the last few years. Not a way to get respect for sure! Plus, most of her post were straight up wrong / ignorant. 

Edited by IRR
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Joe Sakic got handed an absolute goldmine of young talent in 2014. Then three years later had one of the worst seasons in modern NHL history (48 points) and hung around long enough to put together the pieces. Don't get me wrong, he made some great moves and ultimately won a cup, but when you consider his initial factor endowments it's not quite as impressive.

What... 

Trading Duchene and trusting Mackinnon is one of the best ballsy and genius move ever made by a GM. Everyone at the time thought sakic made a rookie gm mistake or was just insane. Everyone never doubt him after that. 

This was their top 10 prospects

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/30in30-2014-pick-bleackley-heads-avalanche-top-10-prospects/c-728470

Sakic also traded away ror, Barrie etc. 

He had a rebuild plan, and stuck with it, built his team through draft and trade. None of the half assing stuff the Canucks did the past decade. I find it more impressive that you don't think what sakic did was impressive. 

Edited by secksii
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

On 10/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

This is a well known fact lol, Nothing is alleged. She had a podcast, She had Luke Hughes #1 on her do not draft list and claimed something about character issues with no proof to back it up. Google it. NJ fans will tell you all about it. 

Idk why and idc why She got fired, But this is one of the small facts that are associated to her 

On 10/7/2022 at 5:31 PM, gurn said:

I get the fact she said 'bad' things about Hughes, but I don't get how you "know' it is made up. You may have read other people saying Hughes in good/great and take that as true, but that would be a belief.

Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but I'm feeling a bit under the weather, which makes me ornery. :(

I really don't care that a junior management employee got let go other than:

Whoever did the hiring, needs to re think some of their hiring practices, as this was a very short term hire. Looks like a mess up, don't want to see it's like again.

And I was not impressed that some posters take her firing as 'proof' that diversity hiring doesn't work.

FWIW apparently Corey Pronman laughed at the idea of Hughes having character issues on his podcast when the accusation was brought up to him (According to the reddit thread posted earlier). She apparently also left the devils b/c of a 'mental health incident' - which I think is what she said in the past.

Not trying to pile on her there (hope she's in a better place) but if she had been going through things maybe her judgment wasn't the best. Many people in the thread also claimed she had a clear bias against the Devils after leaving the team. 

All I knew about her when she was hired was that she worked in analytics & had confident/brash opinions (as I had heard some things she'd said on some podcast she was on, which I never listened too).

Seemed like a very driven young person that could be helpful & could gain experience working in a tertiary role. It'll be interesting to find out why that ended so abruptly (if we do), but her departure is far from the end of the world.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, tas said:

yeah, i'd say it's pretty unprofessional -- or at the very least unbecoming and completely lacking any humility or self-awareness -- for a 25 year old with all of 3 years in the labour force to attempt to demean a person with decades of professional experience performing a role she could never dream of performing in the way she did. 

if benning is gluing macaroni to construction paper, then doerrie is still 10 years away from learning how to use safety scissors. 

Sounds like the old boys institution in the NHL should practice what they preach and get thicker skin if a funny and mostly harmless analogy is unbecoming or demeaning.

In another job, sure, I would agree with you.  For sports entertainment, no shot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, secksii said:

What... 

Trading Duchene and trusting Mackinnon is one of the best ballsy and genius move ever made by a GM. Everyone at the time thought sakic made a rookie gm mistake or was just insane. Everyone never doubt him after that. 

This was their top 10 prospects

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/30in30-2014-pick-bleackley-heads-avalanche-top-10-prospects/c-728470

Sakic also traded away ror, Barrie etc. 

He had a rebuild plan, and stuck with it, built his team through draft and trade. None of the half assing stuff the Canucks did the past decade. I find it more impressive that you don't think what sakic did was impressive. 

MacKinnon/Landeskog/Barrie/O'Reilly/Duchesne/E.Johnson/Varlamov. All 26 or younger as of July 1, 2014. That pretty much summarizes the point I was making. 

17 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

“Either way you slice it, Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic are playing 5-D chess, and Jim Benning is gluing macaroni pieces to construction paper,” Doerrie said.

9 hours ago, IRR said:

Exactly!! I don’t know how anyone can’t see how immature & unprofessional this is, especially given her profession / the business she worked in the last few years. Not a way to get respect for sure! Plus, most of her post were straight up wrong / ignorant. 

Both of these right can be

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRagJ2Y6uts5_myi8ddNXR

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

What do you mean she nailed it?  Almost everyone on this board was saying the same thing.   Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

11 hours ago, AV. said:

Sounds like the old boys institution in the NHL should practice what they preach and get thicker skin if a funny and mostly harmless analogy is unbecoming or demeaning.

In another job, sure, I would agree with you.  For sports entertainment, no shot.

I'm sure jim benning never even knew her name, let alone heard her comment and I'm certain he wouldn't cared if he had. it doesn't change the facts that she made herself look like an immature little ass by making things personal and going after his intelligence. the comment wasn't funny, either, it was the same exact unoriginal dreck I've been reading from the uninformed 17 year old boys on this website for 7 years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

18 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

FWIW apparently Corey Pronman laughed at the idea of Hughes having character issues on his podcast when the accusation was brought up to him (According to the reddit thread posted earlier). She apparently also left the devils b/c of a 'mental health incident' - which I think is what she said in the past.

Not trying to pile on her there (hope she's in a better place) but if she had been going through things maybe her judgment wasn't the best. Many people in the thread also claimed she had a clear bias against the Devils after leaving the team. 

All I knew about her when she was hired was that she worked in analytics & had confident/brash opinions (as I had heard some things she'd said on some podcast she was on, which I never listened too).

Seemed like a very driven young person that could be helpful & could gain experience working in a tertiary role. It'll be interesting to find out why that ended so abruptly (if we do), but her departure is far from the end of the world.

I don’t think she left New Jersey because of any “mental health incident.” That seems like Reddit/Twitter rumour-mongering (not accusing you here, and I’ve seen the same claims, just very suspicious of the source).

I’d be interested to know the actual podcast episode where she’s claimed to have said that. Seems more likely to me that her detractors might be conflating a few things here (and with rather questionable motivations).

As far as the firing goes, the official story is that her position was eliminated when the Devils completely revamped their analytics department. They had just hired Tyler Dellow as VP of analytics and Matt Cane as the department director, and they were bringing in new staff with them (data scientist Jared Lundsford was also hired at that time). And there were some changes around the same time to the video coaching staff as well. There was a lot of turnover and Doerrie certainly wasn’t the only person to lose her job.

I think she’s talked often about her mental health (IIRC she has PTSD) and has she has said that the firing was tough on her personally, but I don’t think she was let go by New Jersey because she had been going through some sort of mental health crisis than made her unable to do her job.

It sounds like the Devils were actually quite supportive and Doerrie had been very open with management about her past mental health struggles. She was actually tasked by their CEO to work alongside the team’s marketing director on the organization’s various mental health initiatives. 

I don’t think there’s anything scandalous behind her departure from the Devils. The team went in a different direction and they hired some rather big name heavy hitters from the analytics community (Dellow and Cane) to rebuild and run the department. Makes sense that they’d clear house and bring in their own people. But none of that reflects poorly on Doerrie IMO or her job performance while with the Devils (much as some folks would like it to). The Devils also parted ways with Sunny Mehta around the same time IIRC, and he’s gone on to be the “VP of Hockey Strategy and Intelligence” for the Florida Panthers.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2

On 10/8/2022 at 11:18 PM, BlastPast said:

MacKinnon/Landeskog/Barrie/O'Reilly/Duchesne/E.Johnson/Varlamov. All 26 or younger as of July 1, 2014. That pretty much summarizes the point I was making. 

I am not smelling what you are stepping in. A number of those names were moved on from before Colorado won the cup. Seems like savvy GMing. Please make your point again as I am too stupid to understand it as you have thus far laid it out. 

On 10/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Good riddance. Her social media history indicated that she didn't know when to shut her mouth. 

Super interesting how often this phrase (or something similar) has come up in this thread and other places this topic is being discussed.

Jim Halpert GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by kanucks25

On 10/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, AV. said:

I know you're not pointing fingers directly at Canucks old boys club here, but it seems the general insinuation is that's the group who fired Doerrie.

I think it's also a possibility that the other highly competent new women on our staff just couldn't deal with her.

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Any word on 'mom's lawsuit'?

Things seem to have quieted down there since the initial (over?)-reaction to Doerrie's dismissal.

Rachel Doerrie is still pretty active on Twitter; at least, she is “liking” stuff and updated her bio and everything. Makes me think no obvious public resolution will be coming soon and instead she is looking to simply move on from it all. 

just speculation though

• Thanks 1