The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Rachel Doerrie

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

2 hours ago, thrago said:

I can imagine getting fired after 8 months isn't going to help your career, but I think suing your past employer isn't going to help you in that regard the hockey world is a pretty small place. 

TWICE..

She barely lasted a year in NJ before getting canned. 
There's nothing wrong with having aspirations to be the first female NHL GM, but being 21 at the time - you can't expect to just walk in a room and take it over.
If you read the various media reports about her, most of them are glowing, which should make anyone suspicious considering the amount of sh$# she talked about people above her in NJ, and here in Vancouver. 

It's like that Ukrainian ambassador telling Elon Musk to F off, and then when Musk takes him up on that offer and pulls comms, the guy has a fit.

#spoiltrotten 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would imagine she'll go for some kind of reputation damage here as well. 

Man that must have been one hell of a meeting that went bad. 

I can’t imagine any rationale where that would come into play.  They haven’t made any statements except that she isn’t with the organization.

The fact that being let go might reflect badly on her and future prospects, it doesn’t change the fact they are allowed to let her go.  Every fired coach, GM, or popcorn seller could argue reputation harm if that was an actual thing.

• Cheers 2

Perhaps the issue is that while coaches etc get removed from the job they were doing, they still get paid; and perhaps her deal was terminated, and no more money is coming in?:unsure:

Time, and looks like the court, will tell.

Edited by gurn

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Man that must have been one hell of a meeting that went bad. 

PA:  "Heads up boys!  Meet your new assistant to the assistant video analyst who's going to work with Bruce to help you with your game."

"Like Marchand she is! @%*^#&(*(R$%|@@%^&^&&&^&$^^^&^&##^^E)*^%&*(()*&^^%%%$$^&^&%%!!!"

(Sure hope nobody said or did anything inappropriate that might give her grounds for success in court.)

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can’t imagine any rationale where that would come into play.  

doesn't' mean that they won't try. Maybe Aqua settles to avoid more bad press. She might be looking to argue that there was some kind of bias in how she was let go, its hard to say. 

Whatever it was, it was fast. Thats why I'm thinking some sort of blow up at a meeting, because everything looked great and then boom. 

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

They haven’t made any statements except that she isn’t with the organization.

The fact that being let go might reflect badly on her and future prospects, it doesn’t change the fact they are allowed to let her go.  Every fired coach, GM, or popcorn seller could argue reputation harm if that was an actual thing.

no it doesn't, as you rightly pointed out you can get let go in BC for any reason. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Peter Gall is a pretty darn big name. He’s appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada in numerous cases. And he’s been involved in some very high profile legal matters, including representing the government, in some cases, and individuals suing the government, in others.

As far as the hockey world, Peter Gall has represented both the NHL and individual NHL players and staff in various legal matters. He’s actually the same lawyer who handled Brian Burke’s defamation case (online rumours about Burke and Hazel Mae) and also represented Phaneuf, Cuthbert, and Lupul in their defamation case against TSN. Gall also represented the NHL, during the lockout, when Alberta players and the NHLPA tried to declare the lockout illegal under Alberta law. And, funny enough, he was also the co-instructor of that UVic Law course that Mike Gillis taught after the Canucks fired him. Gall’s law firm also has a partnership with local agency 3G Sports Ltd (IIRC they mostly rep female professional hockey players).

Suffice to say, Peter Gall is quite connected in the hockey world.

He’s also one of the most powerful and respected lawyers in the city, especially when it comes to employment/labour matters, as well as constitutional law, administrative law, and civil litigation.

Pretty big hired gun. Suggests that Doerrie’s case might be about something more than just improper notice or severance. Not going to speculate any more than that about the nature of her claims. But I somehow doubt Gall takes her on as a client unless he sees some real meat on the bone here.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Peter Gall is a pretty darn big name. He’s appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada in numerous cases. And he’s been involved in some very high profile legal matters, including representing the government, in some cases, and individuals suing the government, in others.

As far as the hockey world, Peter Gall has represented both the NHL and individual NHL players and staff in various legal matters. He’s actually the same lawyer who handled Brian Burke’s defamation case (online rumours about Burke and Hazel Mae) and also represented Phaneuf, Cuthbert, and Lupul in their defamation case against TSN. Gall also represented the NHL, during the lockout, when Alberta players and the NHLPA tried to declare the lockout illegal under Alberta law. And, funny enough, he was also the co-instructor of that UVic Law course that Mike Gillis taught after the Canucks fired him. Gall’s law firm also has a partnership with local agency 3G Sports Ltd (IIRC they mostly rep female professional hockey players).

Suffice to say, Peter Gall is quite connected in the hockey world.

He’s also one of the most powerful and respected lawyers in the city, especially when it comes to employment/labour matters, as well as constitutional law, administrative law, and civil litigation.

Pretty big hired gun. Suggests that Doerrie’s case might be about something more than just improper notice or severance. Not going to speculate any more than that about the nature of her claims. But I somehow doubt Gall takes her on as a client unless he sees some real meat on the bone here.

Last job she gets in hockey.

Doesn’t matter if she has grounds or not, no team is gonna wanna deal with this kind of drama. Something tells me this is not a completely one sided issue. Based on her history online she seems to like to stir the pot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Last job she gets in hockey.

Doesn’t matter if she has grounds or not, no team is gonna wanna deal with this kind of drama. Something tells me this is not a completely one sided issue. Based on her history online she seems to like to stir the pot.

Probably true. I can’t think of any former hockey ops staff member who’s taken legal action against an NHL team, following a termination, and then managed to find their way back to employment, at any level, in the league.

She’s definitely risking pissing off some very powerful people. And NHL teams in general don’t take kindly to the public airing of dirty laundry. 

The NHL is certainly a league where people get blacklisted, deserved or undeserved, and never get a sniff at another opportunity.

But she has to know all that. As must the people advising and representing her.

Which really makes me wonder what actually happened (re: her dismissal) and why, given that she very well may be writing her own death certificate on a future NHL career, she’s still pursuing this particular course of action?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But she has to know all that. As must the people advising and representing her.

You might be assuming too much here. 

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

oof. Not a serious person. 

This kind of thing will not help her reputation, unless the plan is to go into media next, which is likely. 

We’ll looks like she hates  the Nucks now so she’s already been bumped a notch  up the TSn  Sportsnet and CBC. 
maybe she’ll  do the Color when we play Alberta teams. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, combover said:

We’ll looks like she hates  the Nucks now so she’s already been bumped a notch  up the TSn  Sportsnet and CBC. 

"tell me Jacob, what did you hate most about Vancouver?" 

• Haha 4

WARNING:  ASS-PULL SPECULATION:

She was fired right after getting (how to say it properly?) transferred over to the coaching staff (??) where she would probably come face-to-face with some of the people she had slagged (before she was hired).

I seriously hope that nobody did anything actionable around that time.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wow 

I'm glad that they fired her now. That's some next level petty and immature 

Called this a long time ago. She is truly unprofessional and that has always been her (online) persona. People just didn't see (for whatever reason) this attitude issue.

This was a very bad hire from the very start

I doubt she'll be getting any more high level job offers at this point. You do not want people badmouthing old employers for clout. The next team that hires her (and fires her) will be her next target. She is shockingly unfit in any public job.

Shame on those people who thought it was sexist to criticize her character. She doesn't seem to have learned anything from her past job experiences.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, combover said:

I hated this hire so much. There were red flags that were voluntarily overlooked when doing the research. There's a reason why she deleted her old tweets, lol. And now she is showing right now why she'll be bouncing around jobs if she does get one.

I honestly don't know why people don't get exposure on how to behave professionally. Her mom was a participant, which is generally a bad thing when commenting about a dismissal.

• Cheers 2