The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jason Dickinson, 2024 2nd-round pick to Blackhawks for Riley Stillman

11 minutes ago, mll said:

They are 15th in the waiver priority order - it's based on the standings at the end of last season.  As from 1 November it then shifts to this season's standings (point percentage). The number of waiver claims doesn't impact the priority order.

Opening rosters are due tomorrow:  

Today and tomorrow maybe  a few RD man get put on waivers.. I think a few teams will try and trade the player before he goes on waivers.. Should be interesting.. Thanks for info on waiver wire picking.. I thought it started in September.. That sucks as we might not have a chance with a few good RD come available...

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Vancouver Canucks Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CapFriendly shows 15 contracts on the books for 2023-2024 for $67,597,500 with $15,902,500 in cap space.  Those 15 contracts DON'T include Horvat, Kuzmenko and Hoglander.  I said if we sign Horvat at 7 plus Kuzmenko at 5.5 plus Hoglander at 1.5 that equals $14 million, which leaves us with 18 contracts signed and $1,902,500 in cap space to sign 5 more guys.

So, what part of my math is wrong?

I figure it's all but guaranteed we move Myers,  probably this summer after his bonus is paid. Low cash, one year left... Quite moveable.

We won't likely clear ALL his cap but something like $1m retained and get something like Hakanpaa, Dellandrea and a replacement 24 2nd.... Would clear about half, netting us $2.5m+/-.

Same for Pearson. He becomes more attractive with 1 year left as well. If not in the summer, at the TDL.

Unfortunately the right D is probably going to be a work in progress for a while. Which sucks given the "win now-ness" of the Miller extension.

I also doubt Kuzmenko earns $5.5. Even at 60+ points he's probably not doing better than a Garland type deal. Teams will want to make sure he can replicate that before forking over big dollars and term.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

There's 23 players on an nhl roster

As I said in reply to the previous poster 

if kuzmenko is getting 5.5 million then we are not going to keep one of Pearson/Garland/Boeser 

that leaves plenty of space to fit 23 players if we trade at least a garland or Boeser contract

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I figure it's all but guaranteed we move Myers,  probably this summer after his bonus is paid. Low cash, one year left... Quite moveable.

We won't likely clear ALL his cap but something like $1m retained and get something like Hakanpaa, Dellandrea and a replacement 24 2nd.... Would clear about half, netting us $2.5m+/-.

Same for Pearson. He becomes more attractive with 1 year left as well. If not in the summer, at the TDL.

Unfortunately the right D is probably going to be a work in progress for a while. Which sucks given the "win now-ness" of the Miller extension.

I also doubt Kuzmenko earns $5.5. Even at 60+ points he's probably not doing better than a Garland type deal. Teams will want to make sure he can replicate that before forking over big dollars and term.

I agree Kuzmenko if he has a great season GP 75 G 20--25 -- PTS 52--56. -- 2 yr deal like 3.5--4 million - show me more.. 

I think Myers has 5 million cash bonus next July 1st and only 1 million for team on salary to pay.. So Myers will be easy to move next summer after July 1st..

Will free up 6 million AAV for cap space thats big..

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Season hasn’t even started and people are freaking out over next year 

I am just trying to say relax 

if kuzy gets 5.5mil then we have a good problem on our hands 

geez…

I'll cut fans some slack. They are suffering from PBSD.

Post Benning Stress Disorder.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

Also yes. Anyone that thinks we're going to improve our D without moving out one of Boeser/Garland ++ is dreaming. We'll either need their cap space to sign someone or their cap space (and them as assets) to trade for someone.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mordekai said:

Season hasn’t even started and people are freaking out over next year 

I am just trying to say relax 

if kuzy gets 5.5mil then we have a good problem on our hands 

geez…

When the thought process is, “I’m worried this player plays well” we’re getting a little too cap-centric. Like others have said, it just opens up the possibility of moving someone else.

There’s usually a team or two like the Senators with a bit of cap space and looking to take the next step.  Boeser, Garland long term or Pearson or Myers short term would all have value to clubs like that.

I also think things loosen up next offseason as opposed to this super tight year.  At the very worst, we lose a guy we got for free.  At best, maybe he signs a team friendly deal because he enjoys the year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I agree Kuzmenko if he has a great season GP 75 G 20--25 -- PTS 52--56. -- 2 yr deal like 3.5--4 million - show me more.. 

I think Myers has 5 million cash bonus next July 1st and only 1 million for team on salary to pay.. So Myers will be easy to move next summer after July 1st..

Yeah, I doubt he gets a home run deal. He'll get a solid bump, and a couple years of term to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Well, like I said, I doubt we get all $6m (and/or the return will reflect that). But getting something like a useful Schenn replacement in in Hakanpaa, Dellandrea, a replacement 2nd and $2.5 +/- in cap space is pretty good too.

We'll have to chip away at the cap, just like we're did here. We didn't clear Dickinson's full hit either, but we chipped away, got a useful player with low term/risk, at less cap.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also yes. Anyone that thinks we're going to improve our D without moving out one of Boeser/Garland ++ is dreaming. We'll either need their cap space to sign someone or their cap space (and them as assets) to trade for someone.

Kind of piggybacking on what Stawns was saying in another thread, I think this gets done at the deadline (or slightly before) if we’re having a good year.

At the very least we’ll be looking.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Kind of piggybacking on what Stawns was saying in another thread, I think this gets done at the deadline (or slightly before) if we’re having a good year.

At the very least we’ll be looking.

I'd LOVE to see it. Means we're both doing well and making progress on the dog's breakfast that is our right D.

*Fingers crossed*

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, mll said:

They are 15th in the waiver priority order - it's based on the standings at the end of last season.  As from 1 November it then shifts to this season's standings (point percentage). The number of waiver claims doesn't impact the priority order.

Opening rosters are due tomorrow:  

Could be some trades and teams moving players around. I think Vancouver will be in on something..

53 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like the direction the team is going. PA at least understands you need more than skill to win at hockey. You need guys like Schenn, Dakota, and Stillman to boost the sandpaper quotient. Even better if it means other teams don't take liberties with Canucks players. Seeing Petey run players over is a beautiful thing too.

100 %

Having confidence that you have some bruising team mates will create a pack mentality and everyone will up the intensity.

Can't wait to see Huggy Bear lay someone out with a big open ice hit lol :lol:

• Huggy Bear 1

46 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If Kuzmenko hits 55-60 points this year than I am sure at least one team will pay him $5 million on a long term deal. He will be a UFA so will have a bidding war for his services. At 27 years old lots of teams will be interested in him. 

Tim Stützle got over $8 million for one 58 point season. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Naw.....people think the Canucks can get a  Norris righty off waivers. Once Canucks property these players are unreal.

Remember when people thought Sven Baertschi wouldn't clear waivers? hahahaha

• Haha 1